Dirt bike won't rev high?

i have a 1996 xr100r that I'm working on. I redid all the plastics and degreased the frame so it looks amazing now. I also put a new UNI air filter on, Scott grips with donuts, NGK spark plug, changed oil, new carburetor..... But it's been acting weird. Yesterday was the first day I was actually able to ride it, after doing lots of work to it so that it could run. It cranks up usually the second, third, or fourth time and idles fine. Itll rev high in neutral but as soon as I take off it acts like its wanting to rev high but doesn't... It sounds nasty and it will start smoking a lot of white smoke. I can ride it but it rides real slow and I feel like I'm tearing it up when I ride it. Feel free to ask any questions I'm in need of help!

Sounds like a dirt carb

You think something in there is clogged up? I already took it apart and cleaned out some of the dirt that was in the float bowl. Where else should I look? The guy I bought it from put the new carb in btw and it's been on for about a month.

You think something in there is clogged up? I already took it apart and cleaned out some of the dirt that was in the float bowl. Where else should I look? The guy I bought it from put the new carb in btw and it's been on for about a month.

If there was dirt in the bowl, then there likely is crud everywhere else, by taking everything in the carb apart (jets, slide,needle,etc......) get a can of carb clean, and blast all the passages, if you have access to compressed air, then using an air blast nozzle helps also. Also check the rubber boot between the carb and engine for cracks or leaks that air could get thru, the high idle part sounds like a vacuum leak possibly.

Ok I just cleaned the carb this time with carb cleaner. I took it all apart and cleaned each piece and the insides real good. I'm about to put it back on and hopefully this time ill be able to ride! I have a lot of trails and some old rail road tracks that I've been dying to ride on especially with the leaves all different colors.

Ok I just cleaned the carb this time with carb cleaner. I took it all apart and cleaned each piece and the insides real good. I'm about to put it back on and hopefully this time ill be able to ride! I have a lot of trails and some old rail road tracks that I've been dying to ride on especially with the leaves all different colors.

Sounds awsome......ride the wheels off that scooter.

Might be a silly question but your not pre mixing fuel are you? It's just that excessive fuel normally burns black and oil white/grey.

It does appear to be a carby issue but the smoke sounds like it needs a top end rebuild, considering it had a sock for an air filter.

Hope I'm wrong, good luck.

Might be a silly question but your not pre mixing fuel are you? It's just that excessive fuel normally burns black and oil white/grey.

It does appear to be a carby issue but the smoke sounds like it needs a top end rebuild, considering it had a sock for an air filter.

Hope I'm wrong, good luck.
No I'm not mixing fuel. It might need a top end rebuild soon but the only sign of it is the white smoke. The compression is fine. Also I put the carb back on and now it doesn't even crank... I tried over and over and can't get it. I'll go over everything again and see if I did anything wrong.

I feel stupid. I just now noticed I put the floats in wrong and it wasn't getting any gas. So I just now fixed that and put it back on and it cranked second kick. It idles perfect and doesn't smoke at all while idling but as soon as a press the throttle it smoked a ton of white smoke just like last time and still won't rev high at all unless in neutral.... It cranks up perfectly without the choke and idles fine so I have no clue what it is.

I feel stupid. I just now noticed I put the floats in wrong and it wasn't getting any gas. So I just now fixed that and put it back on and it cranked second kick. It idles perfect and doesn't smoke at all while idling but as soon as a press the throttle it smoked a ton of white smoke just like last time and still won't rev high at all unless in neutral.... It cranks up perfectly without the choke and idles fine so I have no clue what it is.

Some video would be great! :thumb: