Other dirt bike dies when put in gear?

got my 1979 xr 250 going and it idles good in neutral but when ever i shift into 1st or 2nd it bucks forward a few inches and dies? i dont think there is a kickstand safety switch on this year of bike? maybe there is maybe not. sucks tho i have to give it throttle and nearly loop out to get going. it doesnt want to idle either in gear any help?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Clutch cable adjustment is likely needed. Usually you'll need it running to figure out where it needs to be adjusted to. Looks like the clutch cable is adjusted at the lower end of the cable. (if not from the left hand perch)
Sometimes if a bike hasn't been run in a while, the clutch plates stick. A few good revs as you click into gear (while holding the clutch in) can sometimes free it.

ok will give that a shot. now i think the carb got clogged with a small rust flake from the tank i cant even fire the dumb thing up now. ill keep ya posted

i put some gas in the cylinder and i got it running but its leaking major oil from the head gasket. im in the process of changing it now but one of the headbolts snapped and i have every bolt that hold the cylinder head off but i cant get it off. tried to wack it a bunch with a rubber mallet any idea how to remove it??

i got the head off finally i have to break a few fins in the process and i could care less this hunk of shit deserves it. got the 2nd head off to and now im just in the process of getting the 1 seized head bolt out that snapped. i have a good 1 or 2 inches to lock on to it and i got it free a few turns but all i had were some vice grips or channel pliers and my hands are all blistered up. i might have a pipe wrench around which might work better

im surprised i got this head bolt out without throwing the motor through the window. tomorrow ill put new gaskets on and it should be good to go the cylinder looks ok and same with the rings hopefully its not an oil burner. by the way how do you orient the 2 compression rings and the oil ring? i know there not suppose to be in line with each other

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 12
Today i put a new headgasket on it and drove the bike it runs pretty good but what the hell was honda thinking with one of the bolt holes for the valve cover?? literally one of the bolt holes goes right through the cover and to the spark plug well so thats where my oil leak is from i guess im going to load up the bolt with gasket maker or sealant unless someone has a better idea? and number 2 i put the bike in gear and drove it and tried to see if it idles which it does but the wheels keep spinning with no throttle in all gears. how can i get this thing to stand still in gear and idle?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Clutch cable adjustment is likely needed. Usually you'll need it running to figure out where it needs to be adjusted to. Looks like the clutch cable is adjusted at the lower end of the cable. (if not from the left hand perch)
Sometimes if a bike hasn't been run in a while, the clutch plates stick. A few good revs as you click into gear (while holding the clutch in) can sometimes free it.

i cant figure out where this bike is leaking its somewhere in the sparkplug well in one of the valleys above the head gasket. headgasket is perfectly fine and dry. oil pools around the sparkplug then comes out the valley between the exhaust manifold

i stopped the oil leak it easy job but after removing the valve cover i found a broken rocker arm. its an intake rocker arm the bike still runs fine surprisingly but why are these arms so weak?? i do have some rusted valve springs maybe thats causing more strain on the rock arms who knows. it was a used valve cover maybe it was at the point where it was ready to fall apart. any ideas or places where i can get a replacement rocker arm you know of??

Attachments

• 164.jpg
    164.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 6