Digital Tire Gauge

James

Staff member
What's a good digital tire gauge? I'd prefer something with a leader hose and a bleed valve.

Something like this, but cheaper then the $80 it costs :moon:

555-65035.jpg

James

Staff member
do not like digital tire gauges. battery's die screens get broke... just too much to go wrong when its not necessary
Valid points, however I like the precision that digital gives me. I usually run my tires at 11.5 PSI and if the tire gauge is incorrect (or it's hard to see the reading correctly) lets say by 1 PSI. That's off by about 10%, which is a lot if you ask me.

Valid points, however I like the precision that digital gives me. I usually run my tires at 11.5 PSI and if the tire gauge is incorrect (or it's hard to see the reading correctly) lets say by 1 PSI. That's off by about 10%, which is a lot if you ask me.

there is no way i would ever notice .5 in PSI difference when i ride. you do ?

besides they have 15psi tire gauges which are not hard to read .... i know this is a cheapie but gives you an idea
41ZKJ11R8RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

James

Staff member
there is no way i would ever notice .5 in PSI difference when i ride. you do?
.5 PSI? Probably not, 3-4 PSI yes. Have you ever played with your tire pressures? Try it some time, you might be surprised.

there is no way i would ever notice .5 in PSI difference when i ride. you do ?

besides they have 15psi tire gauges which are not hard to read .... i know this is a cheapie but gives you an idea
41ZKJ11R8RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I used to have one of those (think it was made by HP Tools) and it lasted a week.

BTW does that one have a hose on it? My tube slid and so now the nipple (or whatever that thing is called) is pointing at a spoke and it's practically impossible to position a gauge correctly. Yeah I know I should fix it :blah:, I'll do it at my next tire change.

.5 PSI? Probably not, 3-4 PSI yes. Have you ever played with your tire pressures? Try it some time, you might be surprised.

I used to have one of those (think it was made by HP Tools) and it lasted a week.

BTW does that one have a hose on it? My tube slid and so now the nipple (or whatever that thing is called) is pointing at a spoke and it's practically impossible to position a gauge correctly. Yeah I know I should fix it :blah:, I'll do it at my next tire change.

you said if its off by one thats a lot too you... i was just saying i know i couldnt even notice that.

that one doesnt but i have seen some that do have a hose on it.

James you can fix your tube really easy. Hold it with some vise grips so you don't loose it. Dump the air out of the tire and when its flat just rotate the tire. The valve will then line up and air it back up. Simple as that. Use to do it all the time.

James

Staff member
you said if its off by one thats a lot too you... i was just saying i know i couldnt even notice that.
Sorry I was actually referring to the 10%. I don't remember who it was, but a pro mechanic was talking about the importance of a good tire gauge. Since we run so low tire pressures (8-15 PSI), and cheaper gauges usually have a higher margin of error (± 1 PSI), it can have a pretty big effect percentage wise.

That's off by about 10%, which is a lot if you ask me.

James

Staff member
James you can fix your tube really easy. Hold it with some vise grips so you don't loose it. Dump the air out of the tire and when its flat just rotate the tire. The valve will then line up and air it back up. Simple as that. Use to do it all the time.
:doh: Never thought of that, some things look so complicated yet are very simple to fix.