Different Spin On A Scam Email

Our Ref: CUK /SNT/STB

IMMEDIATE PAYMENT NOTIFICATION VALUED AT US$4.6 MILLION

It is my modest obligation to write you this letter as regards the authorization of your owed payment through our most respected financial institution (Citibank PLC).I am Mr. Jonathan Steinberg, The Chief Financial, Foreign Operations Department, CitiBank Plc, UK. The British Government in conjunction with US GOVERNMENT WORLD BANK, UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION on foreign payment matters has empowered my bank after much consultation and consideration to handle all foreign payments and release them to their appropriate beneficiaries with the help of a representative from Federal Reserve Bank of New York. As the newly appointed/accredited International Paying Bank,

We have been instructed by the World Governing Body together with the Committee on International Debt Reconciliation Department to release your overdue funds
with immediate effect; with this exclusive Vide Transaction No.: WHA/EUR/202, Transfer Allocation No.: citibank/X44/701LN/WGB/GB, Password: 339331, Pin Code:
78569, Certificate of Merit No: 104, Release Code No: 0876; Immediate CITIBANK Telex Confirmation No: -222568; Secret Code: XXTN014.Having received these vital payment numbers, you are instantly qualified to receive and confirm your payment with us within the next 72hrs.

Be informed that we have verified your payment file as directed to us and your name is next on the list of our outstanding fund Beneficiaries to receive their payment before the end of this First term of the year 2011. Be advised that because of too many funds beneficiaries due for payment at this First quarter of the year, you are entitled to receive the sum of Four Million Six Hundred Thousand United States Dollars (US$4,600,000.00) only, as part payment so as to enable us pay other eligible beneficiaries. To facilitate with the process of this transaction, please kindly re-confirm the following information below:

1) Your full Name:---------------------
2) Your full Address:-----------------------
3) Your Contact Telephone and Fax No:-------------------
3) Your Profession, Age and Marital Status:
4) Any valid form of your Identification/Driven Licence:---------------
5) Bank Name:----------------------
6) Bank Address:-------------------
7) Account Name:------------------
8) Account Number:------------------------
9) Swift code: -------------------------
10) Routing Number:-----------------------

As soon as we receive the above mentioned information, your payment will be processed and released to you without any further delay. Be also informed that you are not allowed to Communicate with any other person(s) or office any longer so as to avoid conflict of information, you are required to provide the above information for your transfer to take place through Bank to Bank Remittance directly from citibank.

We look forward to serving you better.

CONTACT PERSON
Mr.Jonathan Steinberg
PHONE: +4470-2401-0776
E-mail Address:jonathan.steinberg18@wwjd.ru
(CFO)Chief Financial Officer

Regard Senate
SIR J Eric Daniels
(Director, International Remittance Dept. Citi bank London)

( Copyright © 2011 Citigroup Inc)

It looked pretty good right up to the "gmail.com" email address :lol:

Our Ref: CUK /SNT/STB

IMMEDIATE PAYMENT NOTIFICATION VALUED AT US$4.6 MILLION

It is my modest obligation to write you this letter as regards the authorization of your owed payment through our most respected financial institution (Citibank PLC).I am Mr. Jonathan Steinberg, The Chief Financial, Foreign Operations Department, CitiBank Plc, UK. The British Government in conjunction with US GOVERNMENT WORLD BANK, UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION on foreign payment matters has empowered my bank after much consultation and consideration to handle all foreign payments and release them to their appropriate beneficiaries with the help of a representative from Federal Reserve Bank of New York. As the newly appointed/accredited International Paying Bank,

We have been instructed by the World Governing Body together with the Committee on International Debt Reconciliation Department to release your overdue funds
with immediate effect; with this exclusive Vide Transaction No.: WHA/EUR/202, Transfer Allocation No.: citibank/X44/701LN/WGB/GB, Password: 339331, Pin Code:
78569, Certificate of Merit No: 104, Release Code No: 0876; Immediate CITIBANK Telex Confirmation No: -222568; Secret Code: XXTN014.Having received these vital payment numbers, you are instantly qualified to receive and confirm your payment with us within the next 72hrs.

Be informed that we have verified your payment file as directed to us and your name is next on the list of our outstanding fund Beneficiaries to receive their payment before the end of this First term of the year 2011. Be advised that because of too many funds beneficiaries due for payment at this First quarter of the year, you are entitled to receive the sum of Four Million Six Hundred Thousand United States Dollars (US$4,600,000.00) only, as part payment so as to enable us pay other eligible beneficiaries. To facilitate with the process of this transaction, please kindly re-confirm the following information below:

1) Your full Name:---------------------
2) Your full Address:-----------------------
3) Your Contact Telephone and Fax No:-------------------
3) Your Profession, Age and Marital Status:
4) Any valid form of your Identification/Driven Licence:---------------
5) Bank Name:----------------------
6) Bank Address:-------------------
7) Account Name:------------------
8) Account Number:------------------------
9) Swift code: -------------------------
10) Routing Number:-----------------------

As soon as we receive the above mentioned information, your payment will be processed and released to you without any further delay. Be also informed that you are not allowed to Communicate with any other person(s) or office any longer so as to avoid conflict of information, you are required to provide the above information for your transfer to take place through Bank to Bank Remittance directly from citibank.

We look forward to serving you better.

CONTACT PERSON
Mr.Jonathan Steinberg
PHONE: +4470-2401-0776
E-mail Address:jonathan.steinberg18@wwjd.ru
(CFO)Chief Financial Officer

Regard Senate
SIR J Eric Daniels
(Director, International Remittance Dept. Citi bank London)

( Copyright © 2011 Citigroup Inc)

Since I've been selling lots of vehicles over craigslist, I've been getting lots of spam, the first thing to note is whether or not they address the actual product as what it is, or if they just ask if its still aviable.

In one instance I recieved one that asked "is still aviable?" (pardon my spelling)
I asked "what are you talking about?"
the reply I got back when like this
"perfect! I want to buy the item but I want to know if I can afford insurance, can you go to this site and check for me?"
at this point I had the grin of a bastard on and replied
"whats insurance?
to which I got
"perfect! I want to buy the item but I want to know if I can afford insurance, can you go to this site and check for me?"
:busted:

James

Staff member
I am writing to confirm the fact weather you are still alive or dead. I
got an Email from one Mrs. Monica Chang claiming that you are dead; as a
result Dr. Jim Long has agreed to close your file.

You Email address won a prize of Two Million Dollars ($2,000.000.00) from
United Nations UNDER FREE LOTTO Cash Grant/Donation for your own personal,
educational and business development for this Year 2011 Cash Prize with
File Number (UN-0712).

We just want to confirm if you are still alive. Kindly reply within the
next seven days or have your file closed.
Contact our Director General for File Activation with the information below:
Barr. Yu S. Alin,
E-mail: **************
Tell: **************

PLEASE FILL THE CLAIMS FORM BELOW:
FULL NAME OF BENEFICIARY:
RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS:
NATIONALITY:
SEX:
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE:
TEL NO/FAX NO:

Best Regards,
Mrs. Lipi Begum
FREELOTO SECRETARY GENERAL

Just a heads up - I've been getting several emails from ups.com, as in shipping at ups.com delivery at ups.com.

They have a file to click on to get the status, it just happens to be a zip file.

I looked at the headers and the originating IP where it was sent from, and a reverse dns showed it to be in Singapore.

I am sure they will get several people to click on those zip files.

James

Staff member
Just a heads up - I've been getting several emails from ups.com, as in shipping at ups.com delivery at ups.com.

They have a file to click on to get the status, it just happens to be a zip file.

I looked at the headers and the originating IP where it was sent from, and a reverse dns showed it to be in Singapore.

I am sure they will get several people to click on those zip files.
:thumb: I also got an email today from "VISA".

We have detected fraudulent activity in your business Visa account. Please click here to view suspicious activity
Your Case ID is: JQ84043517281765
This added security is to prevent any additional fraudulent charges from taking place on your account.
•Visa Inc.• P.O. Box 8999 •San Francisco, CA 94128 - 8999

This is the return path email address - dragoonsih1@gmail.com

EDIT: And for clarification, I don't have a business Visa. :P

James

Staff member
Wow this one almost got me. :foul:

Attn: Owner/Manager

Here with the Better Business Bureau would like to notify you that we have been filed a complaint (ID 63994344) from a customer of yours in regard to their dealership with you.
Please open the COMPLAINT REPORT***link removed*** below to find more information on this issue and inform us about your position as soon as possible.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Faithfully,
Gerard Johnson
Dispute Counselor
Better Business Bureau

Council of Better Business Bureaus
4200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22203-1838
Phone: 1 (703) 276.0100
Fax: 1 (703) 525.8277

James

Staff member
What are these people after by sending you this email?
After I saw that that link went to some random website, I didn't bother clicking it. However I'm guessing it'd attempt to download/install a virus or that page would spam bomb me. :noidea:

James

Staff member
Your company is accused of two cases of racial discrimination.

Dear small business owner, we have obtained an online complaint about your company possible involvement in check cashing and Money Order Scam. You are kindly asked to provide feedback to this complaint within 21 days. Failure to submit the corresponding feedback will result in downgrading your Better Business Bureau rating and possible cancellation of your BBB accreditation status.

***Spam link removed***

3033Â Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
Arlington, VA 22201

:lol: Even if these were real I don't give two shits (or even one for that matter) about the BBB. :facepalm:

James

Staff member
Mahaha and now I'm laundering money :rocker:

You business is accused of money laundering.

Valued business proprietor, we have received an online tip about your company alleged involvement in check cashing and Money Order Scam. You are asked to provide your official response to this complaint within 28 days. Failure to transmit the company response will result in cancellation your Better Business Bureau rating and probable withdrawal of your BBB accreditation status.

3033Â Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
Arlington, VA 22201

James, might want to check the "full headers" of the emails. If they appear legit, it could be that someone is unhappy with you or your site and are thinking up random ways of causing you grief... of course you probably thought of that.

James

Staff member
James, might want to check the "full headers" of the emails. If they appear legit, it could be that someone is unhappy with you or your site and are thinking up random ways of causing you grief... of course you probably thought of that.
Even if they were legit claims, I'd tell them to :finger: off and contact my lawyer. :thumb: The BBB is a load of crock.

BTW they had a spam score in the 20's. :lol::facepalm:

What are these people after by sending you this email?

These are extremely dangerous. It's social engineering attack for you to open the file. If you did click on one of those links any number of nefarious programs could be installed of your computer. Some make your machine a "bot" that they then sell the services of the bot network to do denial of service attacks on just about anyone. About the worst are the keyloggers. They can send every keystroke you hit to a remote user. That way they can get the login details to your bank account so they can drain it, or whatever else you use online.

Don't rely on some antivirus to catch everything. Sure they can get most, but not everything.

Be careful of what you click on in an email. Be damn sure you know what it is. The results of making a mistake can be catastrophic.