Pro Detroit SX

I hate talking about it. I don't like thinking about it but sooner or later one of these red flags will be fatal. I was just reading on another page that there have been 5 fatalities on 450's locally since the season began. Granted these are local tracks that have been here since the 60's and 70's but sweet Jesus 450's are just too fast now for these tracks and why bare we putting 14yr olds on them to race?

I hate talking about it. I don't like thinking about it but sooner or later one of these red flags will be fatal. I was just reading on another page that there have been 5 fatalities on 450's locally since the season began. Granted these are local
tracks that have been here since the 60's and 70's but sweet
Jesus 450's are just too fast now for these tracks and why
bare we putting 14yr olds on them to race?

K Dub was speaking of this also, he's rellieved his kids have chosen not to race, just for the fact you just stated, I jink it's a combination of bikes getting better being able to handle much more aggressive track layouts and easier to go fast on. But one slip-up can be fatal, well that was always the case, but it seems to being more frequent now. My girl was knocked out twice last year, she mow has memory problems. Something so fun can really he dangerous.

Its not just 450's, its everything, we are jumping farther and going faster regardless of CC, this and people are convinced the way to go fast has more to do with twisting the throttle to the stop more than technique, not getting the technique down and being out of form coming into obstacles with the throttle pinned, seems safe.

But yes, 450's are a lot to manage, I have been racing for 3-4 years now, am in pretty good physical shape, have a decent handle on how to ride, and the kx is capable of speeds that it just shouldn't be doing through a lot of things.

I can't speak for off-road but there's a reason why there isn't a 500 class anymore. They got too fast and too dangerous for closed course MX. Around here 250f lap times are much lower than the 450 times. The jumps got way bigger. Now almost every track here has a 90' triple! Why?

I can't speak for off-road but there's a reason why there isn't a 500 class anymore. They got too fast and too dangerous for closed course MX. Around here 250f lap times are much lower than the 450 times. The jumps got way bigger. Now almost every track here has a 90' triple! Why?
here comes the dude with the russian surplus sniper rifle.

You're absolutely right! 500's died, because they were flat out too fast, 450's are getting to that point, though I'd like to think they're a little safer due to better suspension/frame and brakes. At the end of the day I have a hard time saying that a certain bike is killing the sport due to its speed, there will always be beginners who think they're Ryan Villopoto or Kurt Caselli buying that brand new 450 and decking it out with every performance goodie they can find and then wadding themselves up. It probably isn't the best idea, but I really feel like people should be forced onto a 250f/125 and forced to ride that while they're learning before they hop on a bike with 50+ HP on tap.

Granted I was never pro and I didn't do huge rhythem sections in a single bound, but I left stuff like Arenacrash in part due to the size of the jumps, could I hit them? yes. Did I feel comfortable on all of them? nope. That and not every rider was on the same page, and you could end up with situations like Trey and Weimer,

Alot can go wrong when you huck a 90' triple, or put it 5th gear tapped in the desert or any # of situations, and sadly, alot of people don't know their limits and attempt such things without respect for what they're doing.

The sport is inherently dangerous, it can be safer, but you can't eliminate all the risk, with that said, I'm not going to take a spot on the couch and watch tv till its my turn to die.

You're absolutely right! 500's died, because they were flat out too fast, 450's are getting to that point, though I'd like to think they're a little safer due to better suspension/frame and brakes. At the end of the day I have a hard time saying that a certain bike is killing the sport due to its speed, there will always be beginners who think they're Ryan Villopoto or Kurt Caselli buying that brand new 450 and decking it out with every performance goodie they can find and then wadding themselves up. It probably isn't the best idea, but I really feel like people should be forced onto a 250f/125 and forced to ride that while they're learning before they hop on a bike with 50+ HP on tap.

Granted I was never pro and I didn't do huge rhythem sections in a single bound, but I left stuff like Arenacrash in part due to the size of the jumps, could I hit them? yes. Did I feel comfortable on all of them? nope. That and not every rider was on the same page, and you could end up with situations like Trey and Weimer,

Alot can go wrong when you huck a 90' triple, or put it 5th gear tapped in the desert or any # of situations, and sadly, alot of people don't know their limits and attempt such things without respect for what they're doing.

The sport is inherently dangerous, it can be safer, but you can't eliminate all the risk, with that said, I'm not going to take a spot on the couch and watch tv till its my turn to die.

image.jpg

Hmm... Gingers are angry.
Right now the district message boards are lighting up because of all the recent deaths. 30 yrs ago if you were doing the big double you were on a 250 and ready to turn pro... Can't tell you how many times I came up short, cartwheeled or catapulted on a 80. Trying to do it.