All December 16th-17th Ocotillo Wells First Father Son Ride

Weather turned out pretty good. No wind and i felt maybe 5 drops of rain the whole time.... barely anyone out there as well.

The only problem was that something has happened to the roads since i was last out there. my plan was to take him to the attractions via the fireroads as they are hardpack and smooth. Well lots of it wasnt hard pack anymore... its like this sandy silty shit that is a foot deep. poor kid started swaping in it and got highsided... watched him land right on his back from about 3 feet in the air.... he was a bit shook up from that one but we took a break rested and got back on it. I have pics ill get uploaded soon.

nice, cant wait. Did you make it to any of the cool spots?
not really... a couple of the signs ... one about the wildcats who searched for oil and failed and the other was about the war and how they were advertising to have people conserve fuel.

The deep sandy roads really threw a wrench in my plans. It was no biggie tho... He wanted to just find a spot and make himself a imaginary track anyway. we went to shell reef(the little hill climb spot) and he rode around there for quite a while.

I dislike Ocotillo for many reasons and the condition of the dirt is one of them. When the place is packed with people it is even worse.
Weather turned out pretty good. No wind and i felt maybe 5 drops of rain the whole time.... barely anyone out there as well.

The only problem was that something has happened to the roads since i was last out there. my plan was to take him to the attractions via the fireroads as they are hardpack and smooth. Well lots of it wasnt hard pack anymore... its like this sandy silty shit that is a foot deep. poor kid started swaping in it and got highsided... watched him land right on his back from about 3 feet in the air.... he was a bit shook up from that one but we took a break rested and got back on it. I have pics ill get uploaded soon.

I dislike Ocotillo for many reasons and the condition of the dirt is one of them. When the place is packed with people it is even worse.

You've got it all wrong, Ocotillo is the shat.:thumb: Even on the busiest holidays, you can ride spots where you won't see another bike at all. The riding back to camp through all the crazies isn't any fun. But after a few Bloody Mary's at The Travertine, who really cares.:smirk:

You've got it all wrong, Ocotillo is the shat.:thumb: Even on the busiest holidays, you can ride spots where you won't see another bike at all. The riding back to camp through all the crazies isn't any fun. But after a few Bloody Mary's at The Travertine, who really cares.:smirk:

Auto Pilot ??? :shocked: ... with 91 already dialed ... :devil:

thats the oddest thing i have ever heard of....the condition of the dirt? the dirt is hardpack and sand out there. This thing iwth the road i was dealing with had to do with them grading the raod... thats not a trail its a maintained road. and tim is right... when you get away from the main attractions you wont see a soul. When the Kid and I were out there it wasnt crowded one bit....even at the attractions.

thats the oddest thing i have ever heard of....the condition of the dirt? the dirt is hardpack and sand out there. This thing iwth the road i was dealing with had to do with them grading the raod... thats not a trail its a maintained road. and tim is right... when you get away from the main attractions you wont see a soul. When the Kid and I were out there it wasnt crowded one bit....even at the attractions.

Mostly sand, I guess Dave goes with the same thinking as the Geek. :P What I love soooo much out there, is the so little inventory of rocks.:devil:

yea you dont see many rocks. that is true. The about OW is you can stay in one or the other... most of the linking trails to all the main attractions are all hardpack with a wash connection here and there. If you get out away from that stuff its a lot of hard pack trails connection those fun canyon slot washes.

For me that has been the funnest thing ive been to... some of the canyon slot washes are a blast.

Last time I was there the dirt was like baby powder and lots of it so the dust was lung clogging with all the quads and bun yacks riding like a bunch of blind dicks in every direction possible. I know you have told me about the great riding south of the park which unfortunately I have not traveled yet. :cry: I do not mind sand washes at all, I just have a problem with them and my boy as he is the Geekster in small version. :lol: I may be going down there over the new years weekend to give it yet another try and this time head south like you say. I need to scout around now that I know there is more, and where is this Travertine you speak of in relation to the Blue Inn? This is the only spot along with mud pots and the rest of the tourist junk that I know of.

Travel to the Eastern edge of the park also. Find Lakeshore Trail, follow it past Oil Well, and then pick a wash, truly epic.:thumb: Travertine Grill is on Hwy 86 at the 22. Campbell wash, not for little ones, is a great wash to run, then on the other side of the 86 head North towards inebriation..