Death Valley over Presidents Weekend

As some of you know, I bailed and headed to this place on a different bike. IMG_0851.JPG We met up with 30 others up in Beatty Nevada and toured the valley and surroundings then headed up to Mammoth on Sunday. IMG_0867.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0941.JPG Heading over to the 395 with some good shots of the snow capped mountains. IMG_0960.JPG Moving through Lone Pine. IMG_0963.JPG Unfortunately we even had a rider experience a nasty dirt nap. Some of these guys ride a bit too fast for some of the roads. IMG_0895.JPG He rode that in from Tennessee and had to fly home out of Vegas with 3 broken ribs. I missed riding with you guys but this was sure a fun first time adventure and I look forward to more. I want to ride the country on this thing and see things. IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0980.JPGWe put on 1200 miles over the weekend and we were ready for more.

Last edited:
That looked like it was a nasty dirt nap!:shocked:
It was. A few of these guys like to race each other and see who can get to the front. :naughty: They were hitting speeds of 120 while talking to each other on their CB's. :cripple: I had it up to 100 just for shits and giggles and they were pulling away like I was doing 40. Most of us rode normally and enjoyed the many sites. The roads were 2 lane empty paradise.

3 broken ribs may at least take him there which is what he did as soon as he got home. It was a fun trip but the hog stayed home in the garage this time.

What do you call them fat bikes then, sports? I really haven't a clue as I stay away from bikes over 300 lbs.
Fully dressed sportster?
Big ass bike?
Road master?

What do you call them fat bikes then, sports? I really haven't a clue as I stay away from bikes over 300 lbs.
Fully dressed sportster?
Big ass bike?
Road master?
Hogs have always been a big Harley like Electra Glides, Road Kings, etc. and the term HOG was originally from Harley Owners Group. I have a Road King in the garage but this is a new machine I got in November that I would never have considered in my younger years and it is a Honda Goldwing and yes it is a big ass bike but it is sure awesome for the highway and touring. It can run circles around my HD. :thumb:

As some of you know, I bailed and headed to this place on a different bike. View attachment 20688 We met up with 30 others up in Beatty Nevada and toured the valley and surroundings then headed up to Mammoth on Sunday. View attachment 20689 View attachment 20690 View attachment 20691 View attachment 20692 Heading over to the 395 with some good shots of the snow capped mountains. View attachment 20694 Moving through Lone Pine. View attachment 20695 Unfortunately we even had a rider experience a nasty dirt nap. Some of these guys ride a bit too fast for some of the roads. View attachment 20696 He rode that in from Tennessee and had to fly home out of Vegas with 3 broken ribs. I missed riding with you guys but this was sure a fun first time adventure and I look forward to more. I want to ride the country on this thing and see things. View attachment 20697 View attachment 20698We put on 1200 miles over the weekend and we were ready for more.

Were you with a particular Goldwing group? I have a buddy who belongs to one... he's in Orange County, name is Marty Cove. Just curious if he was with you guys.

Were you with a particular Goldwing group? I have a buddy who belongs to one... he's in Orange County, name is Marty Cove. Just curious if he was with you guys.
It was a forum group called GL1800Riders. There were riders from San Diego, Costa Mesa, Arizona, Oklahoma, Tennessee and other places. I don't know all peoples actual names but you should ask him if he went for the ride. Who knows, I may have been riding with him.

I don't know what happened to my thread but I wanted to ad a picture I took of Palmer out there and the whole thing got jacked up, at least on my end. Here is Palmer posing at Death Valley. View attachment 20717
Damn, I wish I was hung like a donkey, thanks for the photo op!
How long did it take you guys to milk him?
I guess a thread jacked up is better than a donkey jacked off!

Last edited:
I absolutely Loved Death Valley!

Nice ride report 530:thumb:

This is just outside of Lone Pine... there,s a cable ca there that runs over the mountains

hog_mascot jpg.jpg weishaar1.jpg
Hogs have always been a big Harley like Electra Glides, Road Kings, etc. and the term HOG was originally from Harley Owners Group. I have a Road King in the garage but this is a new machine I got in November that I would never have considered in my younger years and it is a Honda Goldwing and yes it is a big ass bike but it is sure awesome for the highway and touring. It can run circles around my HD. :thumb:
Looks like you had a good trip. Death Valley is still on my list of places to see. Also, that's a nice looking Goldwing :thumb:
Now, I think it's time for some Harley History. In the 1910's the HD factory race team had a rider named Ray Weishaar who had a pet pig that would accompany him to the races. The team soon took the pig as their mascot and it became a fan favorite. Fans started calling them the team with the hog and soon the riders became known as hogs. Over time, any Harley Davidson motorcycle was called a Hog. In 1983 when The Motor Co. started their club, they came up with the name Harley Owners Group because the initials were HOG.