Other CRF100 or XR100 in CR85 frame

got a few things tore apart over the weekend. CRF100.JPG motor out of the CRF.
CR85 down to frame85Frame.JPG. I don't think the CRF450 piston will fit lol CRFEngine.JPG. heads off and at our favorite engine builder. time for me to lighten the flywheelCRFFlywheel.JPG. adding a little bling, had to buy a 16" rear rim and the front spokes were getting pretty rough looking and the rim had a big flat spot so while everythings apart just as well polish the hubs.
CRFHUB.jpg hope I have time to lace up the rear wheel this week, won't be getting anything done this weekend as I'm taking a trip to warmer weather. will upload a few more next time I get a few more things done.

if i still had my 100 i would be sending you fat stacks for all your used parts off the 100, fork swap frame cradle, chain guide damn i wish i still had a pitbike lol

if i still had my 100 i would be sending you fat stacks for all your used parts off the 100, fork swap frame cradle, chain guide damn i wish i still had a pitbike lol

I'm re-using the forks, they are at the suspension guys place now getting rebuilt for the 85 frame and stiffer springs along with the 85 shock getting freshened and a stiffer spring. it didn't take long for the other stuff you mentioned to go either lol. pretty much all I have left of the CRF frame is the rear wheel and frame itself

kind of dropped the ball on this project lol. son got hurt, I bought a new SxS
and spent the summer cruising around with my wife and a cold beverage. Kid just got cleared to start riding and the PitBike des Nations is right around the corner so time to get this thing rolling again. here's whats happen since the last update. new wheels

head work,

doesn't look like there going to fit, but they will when my magician is done with them

and a little carb mod going on

I also put a CRF80 transmission in it because it has a better ratio than the 100 did. hoping to get motor competely back together by the middle of next week and get it nestled in the frame. hopefully I will get a few more pictures up then. hope everyone has had a great summer.

Attachments

• NCM_0022.JPG
    NCM_0022.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 10
  • wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 8
  • mod120.jpg
    mod120.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 10
  • valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 8
  • carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 8
OK so I'm getting there. Got engine in and exhaust re-routed and mounted. Airbox is modded and in place but I still have to cover old hole and cut new one so...may be running a pod filter to start with. Had to raise tank a 1/2" or it hit head, need to finish rear brake, kickstarter, clutch cable mount and brake resivor holder. Hope to get time Thu evening to finish it up. Still have to put motor together, just threw cylinder on so I could mock everything up. I'd really like to ride it this weekend but I'm not sure that's gonna happen lol.
brackets.jpg suspension.jpgPITBIKE.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job all around. :thumb:

What's the final break down on building a winning xr like this? Parts labor and materials?

Thanks. I'm not really sure on cost, I didn't keep close track. I had the engine and forks already and I bought everything except the front forks and engine of the CR85 for $150. I had to buy a big wheel swingarm, $100 off eBay, the front and rear rims, $75 and $95. I did buy all new plastic except the shrouds, lets just say $80 there. I bought the CR bolt kit form Bolt, a few other bolts that I wanted to look new thru Rocky Mountain, add another $80. the engine I rebuilt with the CRF80F transmission because it has a better ratio, $50 off eBay. new BBR top end kit $120. Web cam, oversize valves and heavy duty springs and retainers, $250. Head and carb mods by Tom Zont Racing, I'm not going to say because he builds our race bike engines and gave me a great deal. If you'd send it to any good builder I'd expect you'd pay close to the $800 and up range to get done what he did. Same with the suspension, JM Racing Illinois builds our race bike suspension and gave me a great deal but you could expect to pay in the $600 range for his efforts. I suppose you'd have somewhere between 2 and 3K in it. there's a place in CA you can buy these from and I think they're asking around 6K range for a completely built one with all new parts. I have around 30 hours of my time in frame building, intake, switching stuff over, lacing wheels and building brackets. It was a fun build and it's a total blast to ride so...it was worth it to me. My oldest son just had a baby boy so I don't see this bike going anywhere for a long time but if I was to sell it I'd probably ask in the 4K range, expensive for a pitbike but then again there aren't to many like this out there.

here's a couple better pics. I got the airbox hooked up a couple nights ago and the jetting is still pretty close but I can tell it needs a little fine tuning. the airbox seemed to help a little with the low and mid range power, I can hit a double coming out of a corner easier than I could before, but I haven't got enough room to see if it helped on top end. hopefully this weekend I'll get the jetting lined out on a friends track that's quite a bit bigger. have I mentioned this things a blast to ride lolNCM_0182.jpg NCM_0185.jpg