250 Crank Case Housing Repair

99 KX250 - So from what I seen online this is a common problem. Im not in a place where I can spend the money on a new-used casing. Would jb weld hold it good enough for a few weeks while I gather the money for a new-used one?Pic3.jpgPic2.jpgPic1.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
The short answer is YES.
The long answer is that JB weld and other 2 part epoxies require excellent prep work before and after, as well as proper mixing, for a long lasting (possibly permanent) result in rigid applications.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Having never used JB I can't say for sure but due to the torque and vibration running through the entire motor when alive I highly doubt any compound would work alone!
Maybe but probably not you could cut a steel arc and drill some holes and brace the casing using 2 or 3 casing bolt holes and the closest WP bolt .....but probably not!
Sorry to see that :(

IMO, I would never trust JB weld, or anything other than an actual weld, to join that joint together. I wouldn't even consider it. Even if you you used a Snap-On torque wrench to tighten all the bolts. Way too many variables.
Bring it to a competent machine shop/welder, make sure they cut a v-groove in the sides of the fracture, and have it heli-arced.
But what do I know.

IMO, I would never trust JB weld, or anything other than an actual weld, to join that joint together. I wouldn't even consider it. Even if you you used a Snap-On torque wrench to tighten all the bolts. Way too many variables.
Bring it to a competent machine shop/welder, make sure they cut a v-groove in the sides of the fracture, and have it heli-arced.
But what do I know.

I’ve used JB weld on almost the identical crack on a kx125 and also a cracked crank case on my RM250 where a broken piston damaged the case. Both repairs are in the 8-10 year range and no issues whatsoever since. The stuff when used properly is amazing.

Ive heard stories of people doing repairs such as this, but the "used properly" part is where I tend to think that most people screw it up.
IMO, a weld is the strongest join.
BUT, if you can do it without and do it properly, more power to ya.
I'd just rather spend the extra bucks to be 100%.

Ive heard stories of people doing repairs such as this, but the "used properly" part is where I tend to think that most people screw it up.
IMO, a weld is the strongest join.
BUT, if you can do it without and do it properly, more power to ya.
I'd just rather spend the extra bucks to be 100%.

Welding is a good repair, but a 100% repair is replacing the damaged component.