2 Stroke CR 85 just spins in second gear

Hello guys . My son has a 2001 CR 85 and when he takes off is just spins in second gear. I have taken it apart thinking the gears were gone . I opened the transmission side and the gears are fine. everything shifts fine by hand. Any ideas? Thanks ..................:banana:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hello,
So with the engine off, you can shift it by hand from 1st to 2nd without any issue?
If so, there is nothing physically wrong, perhaps his boot keeps it from getting to 2nd gear completely? (1st to second is the longest throw on the shift drum.)
I have to have my levers set just right or I mis-shift with MX boots. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I thought the same and took it for a drive myself and it sounds rough and slipping in second. I just split the motor and the gears are ok nothing chewed up in there. I have to check the shifting fork I guess. I just split it up and have to stop work on the bike for a few days. I will take pictures and show whats going on. Thanks alot

I thought the same and took it for a drive myself and it sounds rough and slipping in second. I just split the motor and the gears are ok nothing chewed up in there. I have to check the shifting fork I guess. I just split it up and have to stop work on the bike for a few days. I will take pictures and show whats going on. Thanks alot

Worn dogs. Replace every gear associated with 2nd gear. Any bushings, bearings spacers or circlips should also be swapped out or you will be doing it again. Trust me on that. I've been down that road.

Once again, humor me here, once past second the "slipping" stops?