Cost to get a new bike for trail riding.

Guys I'm shocked at all the accessories you buy to outfit a bike. I thought a thread that broke it down would give people an idea what they need to add or think about adding when they get that new bike. This is my list so far and please feel free to suggest anything else.

2008 WR 250 $4500.00
Handle Bar Risers $50.00
Brush Guards $89.00
Skid Plate $100.00 Estimate
Aftermarket Air Filter $30
Radiator Guards $50-$100

Guys I'm shocked at all the accessories you buy to outfit a bike. I thought a thread that broke it down would give people an idea what they need to add or think about adding when they get that new bike. This is my list so far and please feel free to suggest anything else.

2008 WR 250 $4500.00
Handle Bar Risers $50.00
Brush Guards $89.00
Skid Plate $100.00 Estimate
Aftermarket Air Filter $30
Radiator Guards $50-$100

Larger tank - 4-5 gallon (having read you were fuming it!)
Grips if the factory grips aren't acceptable
Cross bar pad if it doesn't come on the bike
Stand if you're like CDA......:smirk:
Tool (fender) bags
Gear...This is where mioney can really be spent
Gear bag/bags
Vid-cam (mounted on your helmet) to tape your adventures so you don't have to stop to click-a-pic
snorkel in the event you develop KTMitis

I'm sure there's lots more

All of these inclduing what you've already bought aren't necessities...they make the ride better.

Larger tank - 4-5 gallon (having read you were fuming it!)
Grips if the factory grips aren't acceptable
Cross bar pad if it doesn't come on the bike
Stand if you're like CDA......:smirk:
Tool (fender) bags
Gear...This is where mioney can really be spent
Gear bag/bags
Vid-cam (mounted on your helmet) to tape your adventures so you don't have to stop to click-a-pic
snorkel in the event you develop KTMitis

I'm sure there's lots more

All of these inclduing what you've already bought aren't necessities...they make the ride better.

Yes a bigger fuel tank is going to be needed. Why they are getting so small I don't know but I sure miss that 3.7 gallon tank my 01 has on it. hhmmmm wonder if I can swap them.:noidea:

Yes a bigger fuel tank is going to be needed. Why they are getting so small I don't know but I sure miss that 3.7 gallon tank my 01 has on it. hhmmmm wonder if I can swap them.:noidea:

Doubt it but it never hurts to take a look! I can't find an after market tank for mine, it's so old!

Don't forget;
Shark disc guard ($80-100 ea) to protect brake discs
case saver guard (I need one of these)
Assorted needles ($10 ea) for elevation changes
xtra tubes, tire irons, pump ($100)
camelback to keep the rider going
custom suspension ($800)
it never stops.....

Lets separate the needs from the wants. All you need is a bike and some basic gear like a helmet, boots, bike pants and a jersey. Pretty much everything is optional.

Now if you are one of those guys whose primary riding goal is to look at your pretty bike on your pretty stand, I can't help with that. I think there are meds for that condition though.

Lets separate the needs from the wants. All you need is a bike and some basic gear like a helmet, boots, bike pants and a jersey. Pretty much everything is optional.

Now if you are one of those guys whose primary riding goal is to look at your pretty bike on your pretty stand, I can't help with that. I think there are meds for that condition though.

That's what I had said also...most of the stuff i sadditional...in your case you may want to go with the larger tank as you had mentioned... You need to add to your "tool" bag, duct tape, zip ties and baling wire and some good pliers...these are a must! :prof:

what is with people and "needing" huge tanks and custom suspension?? deal with the regular suspension and carry a small canteen with a quart of gas in it! or just fill some powerade bottles with gas, cuz gas doesn't melt those bottles. Why would you spend 200+ dollars on something that isnt necessary? i say case saver skid plate and bark busters and you are good to go! :thumb: of course... basic tools too

what is with people and "needing" huge tanks and custom suspension?? deal with the regular suspension and carry a small canteen with a quart of gas in it! or just fill some powerade bottles with gas, cuz gas doesn't melt those bottles. Why would you spend 200+ dollars on something that isnt necessary? i say case saver skid plate and bark busters and you are good to go! :thumb: of course... basic tools too

Or that...I was only commenting on his recent trip where he had little gas left when he got to his destination...a larger tank would give him the piece of mind that he's got enough to get back...without stressing!:thumb:

James

Staff member
Huge tanks are needed for those long trips where an extra quart of gas just won't cut it, have you seen some of the distances that these guys run? :wow:

Regarding the custom suspension; do you think that a stock suspension will work the same for a 250# guy as it does for a 130# guy? All bikes are created equal, riders aren't.:prof: (:lol: I think I just came up with another quote for that other thread) The suspension was the FIRST thing I did when I got my bike, the difference was night and day. But I'm also a MX guy so :noidea: maybe the suspension isn't as important on trails.

can't confuse beer with this bottle
lg_powerade_grape.jpg