Cometic gaskets, beware....

Just an fyi for you peeps.

I recently put a new JE in my 450 and used cometic gaskets initially. First problem I encountered. The head gasket is a 3 piece held together with 2 rivets, the rear rivet did not clear the head and jug, had to be removed.

Got everything together, properly, and the damn thing leaked which in turn pressurized the cooling system, forcing large amounts of coolant out the cap and overflow.

Took everything back apart, replace with oem which I had overnighted, cured the problem.

After a bit of research I discovered there are quite a few people that have had trouble with this brand.

To sum it all up, use OEM!!

I couldn't agree more!!!

The OEM gaskets cannot be beat. You can also save money by buying "gasket kit A" over buying the base, head and exhaust gaskets separately.

Well, I have to agree with the OP. My 07 WR 450 gasket had 4 rivets holding it together, and none of them are going to clear. Well actually they'll clear now, since the gasket is in the trash can. There will be a run to the local dealer after work tomorrow, it's a good thing I've got a good dealership in Yamaha of Cucamonga close by.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Weird, I've never seen a gasket "rivet."
Sounds like bad news. I've used lots of cometic gasket kits with no problems, but never seen this "rivet."
-BIG DAN

Weird, I've never seen a gasket "rivet."
Sounds like bad news. I've used lots of cometic gasket kits with no problems, but never seen this "rivet."
-BIG DAN

I'll dig it out of the trash when I get home today, and get some pics for you. I hope the base gasket is going to be ok. I've already got the jug on, and don't want to buy that again also.

After digging through the trash can, here it is.

It has 4 brass rivets.
018.jpg

Since they aren't flat, they're supposed to hang free, and not hit anything.:prof:
016.jpg

As you can see, they don't line up, with my heads design.:foul:
022.jpg

At least it came with a cool sticker.:smirk:
DSCI0292.jpg

Story time children!!! :prof: I once installed a cometic gasket on my 07' KX250F, well long story short the head gasket blew and put a vacum on the valves, which basically destroyed my new top end. :moon: Well, I ended up trading the 250F for TWO running 125s that were decked out with procircuit goodies. :banana:

That was not the first time I had problems with cometic gaskets either, and there customer support is limited. So I don't reccommend using cometic gaskets. :naughty:

It has 4 brass rivets.
018.jpg

Since they aren't flat, they're supposed to hang free, and not hit anything.:prof:
016.jpg

022.jpg

DSCI0292.jpg

Oh wow. That sucks... I was thinking about getting cometic gaskets for a top end on my 125 but from seeing that(and reading D8K's experience) I think I'll get OEM or a different aftermarket gasket kit.

It has 4 brass rivets.
018.jpg

016.jpg

022.jpg

DSCI0292.jpg

Just be careful where you stick it. :naughty: