Clearing trails with the USFS

A lot of the forests in SoCal don't seen to want the help. It seems the further north you go the more likely it is that they will accept the help. It's a great thing to do as you get to ride the trails before anyone else. However, in years like this one expect a lot of work and not all that much riding. Still a day clearing the trails sure beats a day in the office.

Last year was the worst I had seen and there was a serious amount of uprooting trees as opposed to just breakage fallovers. If it's worse than last year we will need more help. The problem is the serious amount of rainfall in combination with high winds as the ground gets so soft the trees just uproot. Makes such a mess on your trail when you've got 9 trees all wound up in each other with a 15foot around root ball in the middle of it. This was every 100 yards on a lot of the trails last year. I remember one day six of us only cleared 5 miles of trail total. It was harsh and that's with two saws and four buckers. I really hope it's not that bad this year but have a feeling it will be. Those of you in the desert are very lucky that mother nature does your trail work for you. But, we have shade. :P The work is worth the shade alone. Hahahahaha

A lot of the forests in SoCal don't seen to want the help. It seems the further north you go the more likely it is that they will accept the help. It's a great thing to do as you get to ride the trails before anyone else. However, in years like this one expect a lot of work and not all that much riding. Still a day clearing the trails sure beats a day in the office.

Please PM me the name of the Ranger District(s) and Recreation officer(s) that discouraged you from volunteering? Volunteer hours are used in the Green Sticker Grant application by the USFS. Most claim volunteer hours in ones grant application.

I believe Chris Horgans group, Stewards of the Sequoia works with volunteers and the USFS? http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/

For those interested in volunteering;

Volunteering is NOT about getting out on the trails first to ride. It is hard work. One needs to establish a relationship with the Recreation officer for the Ranger District where one rides.

They will need you to sign a "volunteer agreement". You are covered under the USFS Workers Compensation policy in the event of injury.

If using a chainsaw on official USFS volunteer projects you will need to be certified. This is a safety course on the use of a chainsaw. It is usually a two day course, a day in the classroom and a day in the field to see if you can operate a chainsaw safely. You will also need to get a Red Cross First Aid and CPR card.

If anyone is turned down volunteering, to do Volunteer OHV trail work, with the USFS on any forest in Region 5 (California) please post here or PM me with the name of the Forest and the Recreation officer or District Ranger who refused your offer to help?