KY Clay (aka ShortShift) wants to race!!

Well, a couple weeks ago ShortShift was at camp and met a kid that races moto's. Since they are the same age and both ride a 85cc they had allot to talk about. The other kid talked allot about racing and now the bug has bit my boy. He as ask me several times now to get him into racing. So I did a little research and found this site. http://www.kentuckianamx.com/ There are about 6 or 7 tracks in this district. I guess we are going to check them out and see where it goes from there. I know I will have to get his AMA card now. My son nor I have ever raced before so this is going to be interesting so say the the least. I have asked some questions to a couple members and got great responses so I think I am headed in the right direction now. Anyone else want to chime in give me some helpful tips you are more than welcome to.

Thanks guys and gals.:thumb:

The best tip I could give anyone thats starting to race is to remember to keep it fun. Don't get too stressed out over results, if you keep it fun and on two wheels they will come in time. :thumb: get mom and the rest of the family involved too, racing dirt bikes is a way to unite the family, I know me racing did anyway.

James

Staff member
Nice, it's about time you get the kid out there. :ride:

Best thing to do is take the kid out to a race or two and watch what goes on. Even better is if he tags along with a buddy that's currently racing. Also people are (generally :P) very friendly at the races and will answer any questions you may have. :thumb:

I'd start out by taking him (and bike) to an open practice as this will give him the feel of the track and also the competitors.

New to this to kinda, but know some stuff! :thumb: I started in March. First of all, shortshift needs to get some practice in on these tracks for sure! My parents made me wait a year and do many practices till I could prove myself ready to race. When the actual time comes, this is what should happen

1)Pick a perfect day to compete, put little stress on him, it's scary the first time out. No clouds, definatly no rain, and warm.
2)Try to get a friend to come for support, it helps, alot. my first race was freezing cold, drary and I was on my own, it sucked. I about quit.
3)Don't let him eat anything sugary, the stress is alot and make digestion hard enough already, even now for me. You don't want to know what happens when you eat a bunch of crap and go out.
4)Remain with him at all times, go up to the gate with him and talk to him as much as you can. Encouragement helps-alot
5)Give him adaquet break time then go watch the other classes compete
6)Bring light food (crackers, fruit, PBJ sandwiches and water) and stuff to do, the wait between motos is painful, hours.
7)Remind him of this-Race from the gate drop to the checkered flag, count laps. Yellow flag-NO JUMPING, NO PASSING Red flag-pull over to the side of the track, turn off your bike (this doesn't happen much, it means the ambulence left the grounds, so no racing) white flag-last lap checkered-your done!
8)Get to sign up early and get the farthest gate pick to the outside line. This means rather than everybody pushing in on him, he's on the outside pushing in on everybody, its not the fastest always, but its the safest.
9)Have as much fun as possible! Let him brag for a week, hell let him brag for the rest of his life. Quite the accomplishment, be proud, take pictures, its his time.

:prof: I race alot!
most of which is back and forth to the fridge, McD's or the liquer store.... just saying.... I'm just a text away buddy if you need help. maybe I'll come down and race a little with ya next year :thumb:

Thanks everyone that has helped.:thumb:

Anyway, we went to a local track today to check it out and It was pretty fun. I talked to a few people and got some general Ideas of the classes, damn there are alot of different classes :shocked: Any way going to scope out a few more tracks and see which one would be the best to start him out on. I would rather it be a wide forgiving track for his first race so I will see how it goes from there.

Mih you know you can stay at the moon cricket inn any time :thumb:

Rack, RACE REPORT is expected :prof:

whens he lookin to start? asap I assume, when is Jax and Mrs Jax gonna give the OK?
I'll see if I can arrange a trip down for his 1st race and give you good folks a hand

whens he lookin to start? asap I assume, when is Jax and Mrs Jax gonna give the OK?
I'll see if I can arrange a trip down for his 1st race and give you good folks a hand

Yeah, Mrs Jax doesn't want it to happen at all but i think two against one wins :smirk: I need to figure out the date and I will let you know bud, :thumb:

just once :noidea:

Mih, I am going to try my best to get him into a race on the 10th of September. I know soon but he wants to try even though he knows he will probably come in last. I can't say no :ride:
Theres nothing wrong with that Jax, since he's on 85's and seems quite responsible. Make sure he wears his gear and keep him safe, but I doubt that will be a problem :thumb:

just once :noidea:

Mih, I am going to try my best to get him into a race on the 10th of September. I know soon but he wants to try even though he knows he will probably come in last. I can't say no :ride:

I cant come down that soon but I am only a phone call away.:thumb: