Fallen Christopher "JANTZ" Grodzicki #96

James

Staff member
A lot of conflicting reports on if Jantz Grodzicki did indeed pass away from injuries due to a crash at Mini O's. All I can say is please keep him and his family in your prayers.

Update:
Last night at 10:00 PM his mother posted this on facebook:

"Jantz was in a horrible crash today at Mini O's in Gainesville, FL. He has suffered huge head and spinal engeries. He is on life support through the night. He will not make it...so please keep him in your prayers.

Thank you for everyone's support."

Then today at 2:00PM his dad posted this:
"This is Chris, Jantz's dad... I wanted to first thank everyone for the heartfelt prayers for Jantz. I need to ask everyone the favor of including Jantz in your prayers as we move through this painful journey. Jantz sustained a devastating brain cell and spinal cord injury. He was wearing a layete brace and shoei helmet. We left the hospital last night with zero hope from the doctors of his survival chances. His heart stopped at the track and he was pronounced brain dead at the hospital with no response. He was however put on life support until we decided on the options available that I hope none if you ever half to face. A short while ago we received a call from the doctor that a miracle took place this morning at 6:30am that Jantz's "condition has changed significantly" he is responding to eye commands, left to right, up and down and raise your eyebrows. Still no other responses other than this. Given what we were told this is truely a miracle. The thoughts and prayers shared here and on Facebook are what have helped him to make a move off the line. The race for recovery is just beginning and we can only pray that God will pull him through. May god bless each of you and your families. The Grodzicki Family...."

Update #2
From Jantz' Dad, Chris Grodzicki; Unfortunately Jantz' injuries are too severe to survive. He suffered a severed spinal cord at the base of his skull and it is improbable that he can recover. The body can not survive with this damage. The family will take him off life support in the next day or so. Godspeed #96!

Update #3
From Jantz' Aunt: "
He is happy to hear from his family....Andrew told me he got a call from Tray Canard this morning & he was SO happy! As you may know, Tray is one of Jantz's favorite riders.....I am NOT giving up on Jantz....btw, this isn't Brittney, it's her mom, Jantz's Aunt (Chris & Andrew's sister, Tamara)"
"Also, Jantz' condition has no change he is still on life support" keep praying for Jantz!

Update 11/26/12 1:30 PM
From Lisa [his mom]:

Jantz passed away peacefully today, November 26, 2012 at 12:56pm. He was surrounded by his immediate family and friends. Jantz will be forever remembered as a fierce Motocross competitor and for the warmth, kindness and amazing sense of humor he shared with everyone. Jantz is survived by his loving parents Chris and Lisa and 12 year old sister Jenna Reece.

Watch this Facebook page for the latest updates on his condition:
https://www.facebook.com/prayforjantz

68233_10152229591000190_989300246_n.jpg

566332_4455802066023_2038909546_n.jpg

James,
I have been reading alot about this on twitter but have not gotten a straight story. Thanks for posting this. He is in my prayers for sure.

James

Staff member
James,
I have been reading alot about this on twitter but have not gotten a straight story. Thanks for posting this. He is in my prayers for sure.
Watch that facebook page for the latest, his family is updating it.

This is really sad, but the fact conditions are improving is a good sign. This could happen to any of us, you or me. He will remain in my prayers.

James

Staff member
Latest update isn't good. :(

From Jantz' Dad, Chris Grodzicki; Unfortunately Jantz' injuries are too severe to survive. He suffered a severed spinal cord at the base of his skull and it is improbable that he can recover. The body can not survive with this damage. The family will take him off life support in the next day or so. Godspeed #96!

As of right now I'm trying to follow this, but there are several people saying he is dead, and several saying he is alive, what's actually going on? :(

I think he's still on life support. But they already said they are just keeping him on for a limited time so everyone could say goodbye.

Update:
For everyone who is wondering, Jantz is still on life support. With his injury, his immune system has shut down and Jantz can't fight bacterias or sickness. He can't cough and sneeze or anything at this point. He will pass on his own in 2-4 days or his parents will decide when it is right. We keep Jantz in our prayers.

This is horrible news for anyone to go through. If his injuries are his brain stem there is really nothing anyone can do to help. I went through this with my friend 3 years ago. My feelings and thoughts go out to his family and friends.

James

Staff member
From what I've gathered is that he severed his brain stem and is in a "locked-in" state.

From Wikipedia:
Locked-in syndrome is a condition in which a patient is aware and awake but cannot move or communicate verbally due to complete paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in the body except for the eyes.

Basically he's alert and aware of his surroundings however due to the brain stem being severed he can't move anything below his eyes. Here's an article on someone that came back from being "locked-in", the difference being that he'd suffered a stroke (not a severed brain stem).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/07/locked-in-syndrome-richard-marsh