Chain Slap?

Guys I think my chain is adjusted right but when cruising 30-40mph just down a dirt road my chain sits there and clatters. Do I need to loosen it or tighten it or is this just normal? Its annoying that is for sure.

James

Staff member
Guys I think my chain is adjusted right but when cruising 30-40mph just down a dirt road my chain sits there and clatters. Do I need to loosen it or tighten it or is this just normal? Its annoying that is for sure.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know that your chain is adjusted right? If I'm in a hurry I'll use the "3 fingers between the chain & swing-arm" method. Otherwise it's 2.2" on my KX250F

I had the same problem on mine once and it turn out to be to loose.

when cruising at low to mid rpms the chain will clatter on the hollow swingarm making quite a racket. James is right to be sure the adjustment is right too.

when i had a dirt bike i would take my time when i would adjust my chain, and if i had a second person i would have both of us on the bike then check the slack, just remember the longest distance for the chain is when the swing arm is level with the ground, so it varies from bike to bike

I just set it according to the manual. Its just at a steady pace. If I'm pouring the coal to it it doesn't do it and if I back off the thottle it stops. I'm worried about getting it too tight so maybe I should go to the tighter end of the adjustment they allow? If I remember is like 1.9" to 2.5" of slack. (Thats just off the top of my head.)

James

Staff member
I just set it according to the manual. Its just at a steady pace. If I'm pouring the coal to it it doesn't do it and if I back off the thottle it stops. I'm worried about getting it too tight so maybe I should go to the tighter end of the adjustment they allow? If I remember is like 1.9" to 2.5" of slack. (Thats just off the top of my head.)
Try it and see what happens, you can always put it back.

my KTM requires a looser then most bikes chain. had someone at the track tell me my chain is loose and i better tighten it so i got home checked my manual and then i measured it and it IS right... never had any chain slap (that i can hear) or any issues with it how it is now.