Carburettor/Bike problems....still!

I cant understand how it (the strater) kept it from running up throught the rpm range once it was started.
Becsuse they need tps and cdi to start and run. Otherwise I'm just confusing the cdi or tps. The ignition timing and advice was off.

Becsuse they need tps and cdi to start and run. Otherwise I'm just confusing the cdi or tps. The ignition timing and advice was off.

Uh. Yeah they do. But you said those were GOOD a nd that the starter was bad. You got it to start anyway. I still can't see the connection (or lack of it) unless you are leaving out something.

How would it start with no spark? Which is what the cdi unit is for and controls.
It started with my mates tps but I'm not really sure why. For all I know the cdi box could of been on its way out as opposed to completely gone at that stage.
All I know is now that the cdi box and starter were replaced, it starts and runs well

Last edited:
You leave a lot out. It sounded like all you had to do was replace the starter and it ran fine from starting to high rpm. Now it appears you replaced the cdi in the meantime. And for record, yes I know what makes spark and controls the timing. Thus I found your explanation or claim that the starter was the problem all a long pretty much impossible to accept. Glad it's now a dead issue.

How would it start with no spark? Which is what the cdi unit is for and controls.
It started with my mates tps but I'm not really sure why. For all I know the cdi box could of been on its way out as opposed to completely gone at that stage.
All I know is now that the cdi box and starter were replaced, it starts and runs well
Have not had a tps on a bike, but if a car has the reference voltage circuit shorted to ground by any bad sensor, this can prevent the car from starting, because it takes the processor down.i don't know if this is what happened in your case, but maybe.

Remember the ranger/Mazda problems with the the ground at the starter causing cdi problems?
Heard of it, never remember having got one in. But dodge/jeep have had numerous problems with shorted sensors taking down the PCM and causing communication problems,no spark,fuel.....like I said, only dealt with cdi and points on bikes, don't know if p. dee could have had similar problem, but threw it out there.

It's the kind of thing I can't stand not to know.
He should send all the bike parts over here for inspection. On the other hand, I've had stuff I've worked on "fix itself" just by unplugging and plugging back in connectors, moving stuff around, you disturb a bad connection then it runs......

i deal with compupter boards in some of the systems we service and most of the time it is a question of them losing the program. quick fix from someone with the stuff on a laptop to put back. I wonder how many of the new systems are going to get fixed just like they modify them.