450F Can I Start A Rumor?

Can't specify source, but heard that possibly, just possibly, a plated 450X style bike might be available for the 2012 model year from Honda. Fuel injection is almost for sure, a better piston / ring design for less oil contamination / longer life is being worked on. Contrary to popular belief, the big 4 are aware of the issues with land closures and the fact that more riders want a plateable dirtbike.
Again, just a rumor, don't shoot the messenger.

If true and I sort of doubt it, the weight will suck. For example the Yamaha WR250F weighs in at about 300. It's sure that a 450 will be even heavier. It couldn't be worse than a XR650L though which is more like 340 and has sucky suspension.

If true and I sort of doubt it, the weight will suck. For example the Yamaha WR250F weighs in at about 300. It's sure that a 450 will be even heavier. It couldn't be worse than a XR650L though which is more like 340 and has sucky suspension.

Too soft or ? My 85 xr600 was like a Cadillac compared to the previous dual shock bikes I've owned.

Do you mean the WR250 street legal model (X)? I've got a WR450 that before all the crap was put on it weighed about 260ish. God, do the big 4 need to come out with a "real" dirt bike that is street legal.:blah:

Do you mean the WR250 street legal model (X)? I've got a WR450 that before all the crap was put on it weighed about 260ish. God do the big 4 need to come out with a "real" dirt bike that is street legal.:blah:

Yes.
WR250F = green sticker dirt bike
WR250R and WR250X = street legal and about 40+ pounds heavier than the F.

it would be sweet your right about the wieght though. seems like any venture the jap bikes make into this area their bikes end up pretty portly. maybe they will take a page out of the euro bikes's book though. so far ktm husky and huasenberg have come out with some sick dual sports.

Personally, I don't believe it. Rumors like this have been circulating for years, even the ones that supposedly come from Honda insiders. Honda is going to offer a plated 650R(that would make more sense than a 450), Honda is going to stop making the 650L, The 650L is going to get EFI, Honda is going to offer a plated 450/250/whatever. The biggest thing Honda has done in the last 15 years regarding a decent plated bike is drop the 250L and change the 650L's colors. I'm not sure why the 230L is even in the lineup.

As far as weight, ton of it comes from the e-start junk they always pour onto street-legal models. In the 650L's case, the engine alone has 15-20lbs on an XR600. Some weight like the battery and lights is inescapable due to DOT requirements, but a lot of it is not IMO.

Too soft or ? My 85 xr600 was like a Cadillac compared to the previous dual shock bikes I've owned.

It is quite soft, the (conventional) fork is flexy, and I think there is no rebound adjustment. The 650L's suspension is still a lot better than your 600's, though, just like your 600's suspension is better than what was offered 10 years prior. I think the 600's damper rod fork got dropped in favor of a cartridge type some time between '88 and 91. The XRs are also a helluva lot more comfortable on the slab than an MXer with a seat that was never designed to be sat on.

I think a big reason for the 230 is due to the more relaxed smog regs. Over 280cc displacement they get a bit tighter. I'm pretty sure this is why there Yamaha went with the 250cc dual sport. With FI I just don't see why a road legal one can't be made.

Don't forget the lawyers. They have final veto over everything.

The 600 got the 88 CR cartridge forks in 91.

Honda already has the 686cc XR650R derived engine on the TRX700 that would be a good base for a factory dual sport. Too bad we will never see it. Make me eat my words Honda, please.