Camp Fire Stories

On a ride up Rattlesnake Canyon one time (years ago...everything seems to be years ago now a days somewhere between 78-85, I still had my TT500)...There were quite a few of us going on this ride approximately 14 riders...bikes of different sizes 125's to 500's with riders of different abilities. Somehow once we got towards the top (in the woods) we got separated. We decided not to go back and look rather sit and wait. We waited for what seemed to be a good hour then decided to continue. Having been my first time on this ride I had no idea if we were the group going the right direction or not. The "leader" of our group was my best friend and son-in-law of the main leader so I thought we were in good shape...:foul:...he'd been on this ride several times.......:crazy:..........We continued the ride winding up in what is now and could have been back then Flamingo Heights. 1 Rider was riding a Honda MT (empty) 125 that was running on fumes. Luckily we were just up the road from what is now Hero's Market (and may have been back then)...he had a few bucks to fill his tank. We then headed up alongside the highway not knowing what trail to take...we ran out of trail so we "did the dirty" :naughty: and road on the highway until familiar areas showed up which wasn't too far but felt like an eternity...during our highway adventure we road past some "cantina" where there was a bunch of "bikers" were gathered. :cheers:..most of them appeared to be outside watching us. We all looked each other and decided it was every man and boy for himself...those with the most horsepower may be the luckiest...during this "show of speed" the rest of our group was sitting up on a hill next to the highway waving at us in hopes we stopped to join them as we hauled ass by...we weren't stopping for anybody. A few miles up the road we finally came up on a familiar trail sat and waited for everyone to catch up...no bikers chasing us, cool lets get the hell back...the others caught up to us and we all road into camp together...This story comes up every time someone wanting to go up RSC.....:prof:

I have a campfire story about a certain DBA member, let's call him the weatherman to keep him anonymous. Anyways, this weatherman dude likes to shoot off firecrackers (the legal kind of course, no blockbusters, m80's, roman candles, black cats etc.). His modus operendi is to throw a handful of them into the bonfire at night where everyone is hanging, drinking beer, telling stories. He tries to do this when no one is looking. The result is flying embers everywhere. This resuts in a lot of carnage, my favorite chair has been damaged almost beyond repair with burn holes. Yes, MY CHAIR!!
So, you have been warned. If you camp with this person, do not bring your favorite chair, bring a ratty old one that you don't mind throwing in the trash when the weekend is over.

I have a campfire story about a certain DBA member, let's call him the weatherman to keep him anonymous. Anyways, this weatherman dude likes to shoot off firecrackers (the legal kind of course, no blockbusters, m80's, roman candles, black cats etc.). His modus operendi is to throw a handful of them into the bonfire at night where everyone is hanging, drinking beer, telling stories. He tries to do this when no one is looking. The result is flying embers everywhere. This resuts in a lot of carnage, my favorite chair has been damaged almost beyond repair with burn holes. Yes, MY CHAIR!!
So, you have been warned. If you camp with this person, do not bring your favorite chair, bring a ratty old one that you don't mind throwing in the trash when the weekend is over.
:lol: I think I know this guy, but have not experienced said episode..

OK, I'll cough one up.:wink: This is a story from the 1991 Baja 1000. I'll set it up a little for you. We were racing a pretty tricked out '92 KX250 with a 300 kit and WR Tranny and geared to the moon (16/42). Top speed on pavement - 106mph. Well the 1000 as some of you know will put you into the night so good lights are a must. I spent $1200 on the light setup and my buddy installed them and hand made a sweet bracket and dual switches to run the 2 lights we had. We were running out of time and I never had the chance to prerun a short section with the lights, since I would be the first one on the bike with the light setup. I did do a short run down the middle of town in Ensenada just to make sure they worked the night before the race. Everything checks out, so we pull the lights off and I try to sleep before my 6:27am start time.

So the next morning is race day and since I am the rider of record, I start the race. I do my 165 mile first section and hand off the bike to one of my 3 other partners and off he goes. No issues, bike is working great. I jump in the van with my dad and off we go to just south of Santo Tomas to where I will be getting the bike back at around 6pm we figured. As we are making the drive along the coast and I am telling my dad the cool stories of the day so far, I realize that I do not have a flashlight in my tool bag. "what if I foul a plug or need to do repairs in the dark?" So we stop at this little convenient store and I buy a plastic flashlight for $2 and add it to the bag.

So we get to the pit area after stopping for some roadside fish tacos and cokes, setup and wait, and wait and wait.....6pm rolls by, 7pm, 8pm....and then 11:00pm I see lights coming, could it be? Yes a bike pulls in and it is ours. I jump on the bike and my partner is yelling in my ear something about "Don't let it die!" slaps me on the back and I hammer the throttle....

I jump the highway and start heading for the coast. Lights are on, bike seems to be OK, I'm back in the saddle and I feel great...I get a couple miles in and the lights flicked off and then back on...Weird but OK we are still good. I get down to this tighter section of the course where there are a few switch backs and you need to get off the throttle a little, then it happens.............Lights die right when I am making a turn. Pitch black and I lose sight of the road and and next thing you know I am aiming straight up, clutching the crap out of the bike to get up this hill that I do not remember while pre-running. I see flashes from cameras going off all around me and Spanish being yelled and next thing you know I pull up to the top of this "Hill" and the bike stalls and I am in the middle of the crowd that was hanging out there. They are all yelling and cheering and drinking....Seems I missed my turn and went off the road there....No worries, I kick the bike back to life, but no lights..This is not good, so I turn off the bike and go for my $2 flashlight. I grab it and start the bike and head on down the road with flashlight in hand so i could get away from these guys. I pull over and need a way to fix the light to my helmet. Well since the lights are so bright, I used black electrical tape and taped the underside of my visor to block the glare. So I took all that off and used it to tape the flashlight to the top of my Visor.

So here I am 65 miles from the next pit in the dark with nothing but a cheap flashlight strapped to my visor. Off I go...To shorten this up (since there is a few more stories inside of this adventure), I make it to the pits which is the end of my section and I pull in and the Kawi guys go to work on the bike after I tell them what happened. Turns out that little cotter key that links the magneto to the flywheel was not installed right (did I mention my other partner installed this?) and it got shaved down and was not allowing the magneto to spin freely and not power up the lights. So we could not fix the lights and button it up and my partner made the decision to pull the plug :foul:. &*^$$((&*&^%$# Don't get me started on that one....Race over..........Needless to say, even though we did not get a finisher's pin, I did do and finish all the sections I was responsible for so I credit myself with a finish...Out of frustration, I loaded up my pre-run bike and drove all day out to LV and pulled off a 6th overall, 2nd 250 expert in a 120 mile Hare and Hound that Sunday...:banana:

Said weatherman has turned my 12 & 14 year old sons into criminals by this method too!:naughty: By the time TDAY rolls around I will have something up my sleave for said weatherman :devil::smirk: