Camelbak For Trail Riding?

I got a camelbak at the wal-mart that holds 2 liters and it has all the extra pockets for wallet,phone, keys, extra undies for those(oh shit) moments:lol: I fill it with ice and two bottles of water and it last me all day of riding. It was only 15 bucks on closeout so I bought 3 of them. That was two months ago I doubt they are carrying them now, seasonal shit you know. Anyways they work great and I love it. I say get one if you ever go hiking you can use it then too.

A plain old backpack with bottles of water will do the trick. You can chew on some gum to keep your mouth wet:drool: between rest stops.
Camelbak style packs are more convenient though. Especially on group rides, where you might want a drink so badly, but have to wait a long time for the group to stop.
However you decide to carry water, make sure there is some room for a sandwich or some kind of food. It's not uncommon on long rides to eat lunch on the trail. And, I do believe there will be plenty of nice long sightseeing rides planned for you. :ride:

A plain old backpack with bottles of water will do the trick. You can chew on some gum to keep your mouth wet:drool: between rest stops.
Camelbak style packs are more convenient though. Especially on group rides, where you might want a drink so badly, but have to wait a long time for the group to stop.
However you decide to carry water, make sure there is some room for a sandwich or some kind of food. It's not uncommon on long rides to eat lunch on the trail. And, I do believe there will be plenty of nice long sightseeing rides planned for you. :ride:
+1 on the Gum Chewing. I chew gum all the time when riding. Back when I use to trail ride with a number on the front, I would chew Juicy fruit because it would last longer...:thinking: I think there is a thread on this somewhere.

James I take it you do not have a fanny pack to carry tools as well, so a camelbak with pockets for tools is a good idea.

I carry more water than I think I need and most times, go through all of it. I use an ogio flight vest with a 70 oz bladder, plus I carry 6 bottles (water and a gaterade or two). Don't underestimate dehydration. you may not feel it during the ride if cool, but you will fell it after.

I use a Camelbak HOSS it's a beast but you can fit tons of stuff and it has a suspension system on it so you don't have this mass on your back banging around.
Only down size is the main compartment is just one big black hole.
146949_1_1

camelbak-dvis.jpg

Let the flaming begin. I personally hate camelbacks (or anything on my back when I ride), but hydration is critical especially when it is warm. I have a pack on my back fender that holds three 17 oz water bottles. That is sufficient for most cooler weather rides. But if it is hot, that doesn't cut it. You will definitely need something James. But temps will be pleasant and might be even cold for TDay week.

Over labor day weekend (temps in the low 100's), I hydrated before but was still cotton mouthed after only 5-10 minutes. In the winter, I might not even go thru more than one bottle in a 2 hour ride. Hope this helps.

BTW, a mile from camp is more like it.:lol::lol:

have you ever tried a waist pack? i have a MSR waist pack with all my tools. but when i race, you can fit a full 75oz bladder with all the critical tools when i race. keeps weight low and down affect articulation in any way for me.

+1 on the Gum Chewing. I chew gum all the time when riding. Back when I use to trail ride with a number on the front, I would chew Juicy fruit because it would last longer...:thinking: I think there is a thread on this somewhere.

James I take it you do not have a fanny pack to carry tools as well, so a camelbak with pockets for tools is a good idea.

I have an extra Fox fanny pack for tools. However, I don't think you need to bring any tools as Weathergeek now carries enough tools to stock a Snap on Truck:smirk:.

This is the backpack I use with 70oz Camelback.

http://www.ktmamerica.com/powerparts/images/U6907092.jpgU6907092.jpg