All Budget Cuts Closing 70 California Parks

actually 61 :clap:
sucks so much... 61 of the 279 parks in California are gonna hve to be shut down due to budget cuts
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26685
In May of 2011, California State Parks announced a plan to close up to 70 of its 279 parks due to budget cuts. The closures were deemed necessary to achieve an $11 million reduction in the next fiscal year 2011/12, that amount increasing to $22 million in the following fiscal year 2012/13.
"We regret closing any park", said Ruth Coleman, director of California State Parks, "but with the proposed budget reductions over the two year period, we can no longer afford to operate all parks within the system."
"These cuts are unfortunate, but the state's current budget crisis demands that tough decisions be made," said Resources Secretary John Laird.
State Parks had three primary goals for developing the closure methodology: (1) protect the most significant natural and cultural resources, (2) maintain public access and revenue generation to the greatest extent possible and (3) protect closed parks so that they remain attractive and usable for potential partners. The methodology was included in the budget bill approved by the Legislature and the Governor in March 2011.
Despite the large number of parks identified for closure, at least 92% of today's attendance will be retained, 94% of existing revenues will be preserved, and 209 parks will remain open. State Parks believes the methodology developed preserves and protects parks critical to the mission, which provide for the diversity of experiences wanted by visitors across the state. For instance, State Parks has a variety of state historic parks, state beaches, state recreation areas, state nature reserves and state parks and most of the parks in all categories will remain open to serve the diverse preferences of park visitors.
Since the announcement of the closures, State Parks has been working statewide to find partners or donors who can help keep parks open. As of January 2012, the Department has reached agreements for keeping nine of the 70 parks open and operating. This process for finding partners is creating a good measure of success and the Department is working with other potential partners and donors to reach agreements on a significant number of additional parks.

State Parks anticipates full park closures related to the proposed budget reductions will occur by July 2012

Parks, you can't close down riding areas and have an effect on us riders. Budget cuts mean less LEO at the parks. :clap:

They just close trails at the riding areas or fence you out.

Just "Parks", beaches etc...
We have far too many parks in CA. They say they designate(?) parks to save the land and keep it from development (good) but then they do all this BS interruptive centers, paved paths, basically develop the land and that costs tons of money and no ones wants and it ends up way under utilized. It can never just be a park....
State, County and Cities are all guilty of this, its gotta been millions upon millions down the drain.

it can be looked at all ways. i didnt check the entire list but i checked the spots in my area... the san pasqual battle field park will be closed and that kinda bums me out. its a cool place to take the kids for a non riding learning thing.

Also i am all for them shuting down matinence and that kinda stuff but dont close the land off to us. Most the time thats what they do tho.