Bike very hard to start and won't crank with choke on? urgent help needed!!

well i did a clean out and re tested everything using the reserve tank/switch. i do have very little fuel left in the tank. probably under a quarter(which i thought would be enough to start a dirt bike).
i am wondering weather that makes much of a difference? when i flick it onto reserve and test the carby, fuel pisses out like it should but when i test the carby with the fuel switch in the normal 'on' position, not AS MUCH pours out.
so seeing as i had the choke on with the fuel switch in the 'on' position and not on reserve, being that there isn't much fuel in the tank, would that have been a possible cause of the issue(low cranking/choking the bike for air) with not much fuel left in the tank and choke on?

Last edited:
well i did a clean out and re tested everything using the reserve tank/switch. i do have very little fuel left in the tank. probably under a quarter(which i thought would be enough to start a dirt bike).
i am wondering weather that makes much of a difference? when i flick it onto reserve and test the carby, fuel pisses out like it should but when i test the carby with the fuel switch in the normal 'on' position, not AS MUCH pours out.
so seeing as i had the choke on with the fuel switch in the 'on' position and not on reserve, being that there isn't much fuel in the tank, would that have been a possible cause of the issue(low cranking/choking the bike for air) with not much fuel left in the tank and choke on?

Yeah. You need to be on reserve or add more fuel and then check the on switch....

first things first. turn off the fuel valve, take the hose off the carburetor and see if you get full flow. (outside and a fuel can to catch the fuel in of course.) if you are getting fuel flow, take the carburetor off the bike, attach a long piece of fuel line to the carburetor (long enough that you can hold the carburetor up to your eye level) and blow through it while working the float mechansim. see what position it shuts off in, or where you get no air or little air through the float. Try that with fuel once you are satisfied with the result by blowing through. You should at least be able to see where your fuel delivery problem is.

it seems to be normal. when i let the float down a fraction fuel starts pouring out. when i blow air through it, the float is on its way down.
i don't think there was an actual issue. i think what might of been happening was that the low cranking could of been caused from having low fuel while i had the choke on. so i think what was happening was the carby wasn't getting enough fuel combined with having the choke on starved it for air, could that of caused the problem?

Yeah, i guess when I said start at the beginning I just didn't allow for how someone might not know they had an empty fuel tank. I bet all the cleaning worked up an appetite.

Lol. I didn't know because I've never had to use the reserve tank ever before. There is usually a lot more fuel left in the tank. That might be a valid reason as to why.

Last edited: