Bike hard to start after stalled?

I doubt this is the cause now howeer going into the way back machine I had a 73 Suzuki TM125 that would always stall going into a turn unless I was on the pipe... The dealer told me run nothing but premium (back when it WAS premium) gas... The only way I was ever able to restart the bike was to turn the gas off, lay it down on it's side and drain the carb... pick it up, let it sit for a few minutes, and start kicking leaving the gas off but a couple twists... once it started (it had just enough gas in the carb) turn the gas on but it would bogg really bad (as they called it... it was loaded up), I had to play with the throttle until it "unbogged" itself. the plug was probably fouled but would always start after staling I always had to go thru that routine. :noidea:

I switched to unleaded, took off the sparky put on just a silencer and the problem went away, no loss in performance, no change in wear and tear... plugs were always in good condition, took the motor apart several times while attending motorcycle mechanic school, the instructor said it was the cleanest looking motor he's seen... :thumb:

Hope you figure out the problem, nothing worse than sitting in a sand wash kicking and kicking and seeign the vultures starting to circle... :shocked: Hey, that sounds familiar... :thinking: don't talk bad about the bike while trying to start it... BAAAAAD JOO JOO will happen. :eek: trust me on this... :prof:.... :devil:

BTW unless you're knocking with 90 octane, there's no advantage to running race gas, if anything it'll be a disadvantage. Especially if you're not running a high compression setup.

I am running a high comp setup. 13.5:1 wiseco piston that requires 100 octane gas. Thats why I switched to AVGAS, because I used to run normal 90 pump.

Race gas and Avgas have such a variance in additives that they should not be compared. Avgas has de-icing additives in it...

This may not be the source of your specific issue but I would just suggest you don't run Aviation fuel in your bike.

I may switch to 50/50 once my 5 gallon container of AVGAS goes dry again...I mean, I get what your saying. It doesnt seem to run bad on AVGAS but itll probably run on just about any kind of similar gas. I guess its really the long term effects of the fuel in the bike. I'm not sure what exactly AVGAS has in it, nor do I care to know; but it doesn't really seem like a good idea to run fuel for planes that is formulated for planes in a completely different machine altogether.

I doubt this is the cause now howeer going into the way back machine I had a 73 Suzuki TM125 that would always stall going into a turn unless I was on the pipe... The dealer told me run nothing but premium (back when it WAS premium) gas... The only way I was ever able to restart the bike was to turn the gas off, lay it down on it's side and drain the carb... pick it up, let it sit for a few minutes, and start kicking leaving the gas off but a couple twists... once it started (it had just enough gas in the carb) turn the gas on but it would bogg really bad (as they called it... it was loaded up), I had to play with the throttle until it "unbogged" itself. the plug was probably fouled but would always start after staling I always had to go thru that routine. :noidea:

I switched to unleaded, took off the sparky put on just a silencer and the problem went away, no loss in performance, no change in wear and tear... plugs were always in good condition, took the motor apart several times while attending motorcycle mechanic school, the instructor said it was the cleanest looking motor he's seen... :thumb:

Hope you figure out the problem, nothing worse than sitting in a sand wash kicking and kicking and seeign the vultures starting to circle... :shocked: Hey, that sounds familiar... :thinking: don't talk bad about the bike while trying to start it... BAAAAAD JOO JOO will happen. :eek: trust me on this... :prof:.... :devil:

Hmm...interesting. So premium back then was leaded I'm assuming? So you're in essence blaming the lead?

Hmm...interesting. So premium back then was leaded I'm assuming? So you're in essence blaming the lead?

Fuel was too rich for the bikes settings and low lead (don't remember if they had unleaded at the time) worked fine. :noidea: beats me but I no longer had to keep twistign the throttle whenever I made a turn... :thumb:

I may switch to 50/50 once my 5 gallon container of AVGAS goes dry again...I mean, I get what your saying. It doesnt seem to run bad on AVGAS but itll probably run on just about any kind of similar gas. I guess its really the long term effects of the fuel in the bike. I'm not sure what exactly AVGAS has in it, nor do I care to know; but it doesn't really seem like a good idea to run fuel for planes that is formulated for planes in a completely different machine altogether.
This is an excerpt of the link I provided:

Many Continental and Lycoming light airplane engines designed for 80/87 remain in production. Engines designed for 80/87 can use 100LL with special precautions[vague] to prevent lead buildup and lead fouling of the spark plugs.[citation needed]

Some more stuff from old post on TT:

Anyone who claims that the lead deposits are bunk had obvioulsy never torn apart a motor after using leaded fuel. I ran nothing but unleaded pump gas in my WR250Z motor was alwas deposit-free. Started running AvGas (100LL) continued running it for a whole season. Tore the motor down, WOW what to yah know, lead deposits on the rod, coating the intake ports & sides of the case next to the crank. If I had pic I'd post it.

Avgas also has a high alcohol content, to displace moisture. It is also formulated to enable high altitude operation. AvGas, Race fuel & Autogas are very different in formulation, about the only thing they have in common is that they burn and let us go fast