Bike goes down in creek what do you do?

I've never ran into this but with us riding more and more in the back country we are running into bigger and bigger creek crossings. What do you do if you put a bike down in the creek?

I've never ran into this but with us riding more and more in the back country we are running into bigger and bigger creek crossings. What do you do if you put a bike down in the creek?

Might want to ask the expert...............I'm sure he'll respond soon enough with mentioning who he is! :smirk:...:smirk:...:smirk:...:smirk:...:smirk:...:lol:

I am not the expert but....depends on how bad it sucked.
1) Air filter needs to be rung out.
2) plug needs to be pulled, and bike tiped to drain head.
2a)Kick or crank with plug out.
3) bike needs to be lifted in front to drain exhaust.

If you can find a July issue of Dirt Bike Mag, they have a great article about this same subject. If you are going through a lot of water crossings and could have this happen, make sure you bring a fresh plug and a lighter to dry out the one in the bike. Also you will want to take off the carb bowl to get any rocks, sand or water out of there. Check the float bowl needle to make sure it does not stick, because a stuck float could mean running out of gas out there.

NEVER NEVER start the bike before you drain the water out. And you need to do maintenance right away once you get home to make sure no other damage is there, like draining the trans.

I have the article and I can scan it when I return to Cali and post if all is interested.

Well, what is going on here?!!?
The first thing is to save yourself, screw the bike. Actually that is the second thing. First thing is to be sure you CAN cross the stream. Dont if its questionable.:cry:

On a 2st its pretty easy to get it going. Take out the plug, turn the bike over and drain it out the hole, Drain the pipe as best you can, remove the air filter and shake it or squeeze the water out. Drain the carb bowl. If the bike was under for very long maybe drain a few ounces out of the gas tank-the water will be on the bottom and come out first. Then put it all back together and start kicking it til it starts.

QUESTION: Where's the best place to locate a snorkel on a bike? The higher the better therefore I would think maybe a system that runs up the side panel area and strapped onto the rider sticking up above the helmet! Aslo look into sealing shut the air box...like the guys use to do when riding the grand prix races with lots of water... :prof:....:smirk: OH, and also I would suggest maybe carrying one of those exhaust "corks"...in the event of a "tip over" in the water grab it from an easily accessible location and plug it in...

I will admit I dumped it ONCE in "The Wooley Swamp" up in BIg Bear......yanked it up as quick as possible and it started back up...but man i stunk...it was a water crossing on a trail of stagnant water, :puke: a log, dirt and rocks keeping the water from flowing.....PEEEEEEEE - U. I was wearing my "Bates" leathers at the time...last time I wore them suckers...shrunk to kid size! :cry: Depending on who I'm riding with STILL makes for a camp fire story...I tend not to hang with those guys anymore! :blah:

In the two times I drowned, the first thing you need to do is kill the bike asap. Sacrifice most anything to do so as quickly as possible.:prof: