Bike for daughter

I was going off the title of the thread. My daughters are damn near 16 and 18 and they are pushing the envelope of life these days.
I thought he was looking for a bike for his daughter. In my opinion this bike would fill that order. But, alas, if it is not sold this weekend (a couple of interested parties), Mr. TT250 (he of the TW200 fame) will be the proud new owner:clap:

I thought he was looking for a bike for his daughter. In my opinion this bike would fill that order. But, alas, if it is not sold this weekend (a couple of interested parties), Mr. TT250 (he of the TW200 fame) will be the proud new owner:clap:

You going to deliver it?

im selling the cr 85 that I got for my nephew as it's just a money pit..what other bikes would be suitable for a beginner besides the crf 150 .. something with good torque but not too much to frighten him off and not too high so hell be able to touch the ground??

If you think of 85's again, I would look for one of the ones with a power valve. Suzuki or Kawasaki have them, not sure on KTM's. If he rides with you there are going to be pretty limited 4 strokes that he will be happy with for very long, so unless you have someone to do a hand me down thing for, the only 4 stroke is going to be the honda crf150r.

My niece who is just barely 5' ft tall rode a Yamaha TTR 125 four stroke. Its a great little bike. Plenty fast enough to keep up with me and her dad on trail rides. Heck both he and I have ridden it many times and its quite fast with either of us on it. The model we had was a 2004. It was air cooled, had electric and kick start. And tractor like torque for its size. Its a perfect bike for somebody kind of timid or still really just learning. Once they have mastered the bike in its stock configuration. Add as aftermarket pipe and silencer really peps it up, and makes it sound much bigger than it really is because of the larger exhaust. But you will have to rejet the carb for the better flow of exhaust. I know a young man that had a CRF 150 and it served him quite well untill he started growing. The power was still good but he was just too tall for it. I think either way you will not go wrong.

Look up xr100 and you will see more about what the crf100 really is. I have one of the xr100's. lots of fun, the younger people have a good time learning on it. once they get to the age your nephew is he will want something more like what the faster people are riding, whether he needs it or not. Nothing hard and fast here, but when you ride for over 45 years regularly you see some patterns. He is a tough age and size. Lots of beginning 15 year olds' would be happy on a 125 mx bike or 250 mx bike. even more happy on a kdx 200/220 to start with. keep them on the trails or around enduro type riding and it may not change. Go in for track time and it will change really fast as far as what they think they want. I differ with a lot of people on modifying a trail 4 stroke like an xr100. crf150f, or tt125. You are paying a pretty high price to do so (check the catalogs and see what I mean) . If you buy one, I would plan on it being a learner, leave it as close to stock as you can and then sell it and buy a more suitable bike in the future (before the 15 year old turns 17 and has it thrashed and trashed) or hand it down as I indicated above. Now I say all this and we are about to put an xr100 into a cr 80 frame and I already own what probably is the most modified xr250 in the state and I am going to pick up another one to do some more reserved mods on. In the end, modifying an air cooled 100-150 to keep a teenaged boy up with his peers is going to make that cr85 look like a saving account.

If you're right about him being 4' 6" then he's a small guy. I myself especially when younger hated heavy bikes. It's easy to tip toe a bike that is even 30lbs lighter. Really that height is in the range for a 65 imo

Look up xr100 and you will see more about what the crf100 really is. I have one of the xr100's. lots of fun, the younger people have a good time learning on it. once they get to the age your nephew is he will want something more like what the faster people are riding, whether he needs it or not. Nothing hard and fast here, but when you ride for over 45 years regularly you see some patterns. He is a tough age and size. Lots of beginning 15 year olds' would be happy on a 125 mx bike or 250 mx bike. even more happy on a kdx 200/220 to start with. keep them on the trails or around enduro type riding and it may not change. Go in for track time and it will change really fast as far as what they think they want. I differ with a lot of people on modifying a trail 4 stroke like an xr100. crf150f, or tt125. You are paying a pretty high price to do so (check the catalogs and see what I mean) . If you buy one, I would plan on it being a learner, leave it as close to stock as you can and then sell it and buy a more suitable bike in the future (before the 15 year old turns 17 and has it thrashed and trashed) or hand it down as I indicated above. Now I say all this and we are about to put an xr100 into a cr 80 frame and I already own what probably is the most modified xr250 in the state and I am going to pick up another one to do some more reserved mods on. In the end, modifying an air cooled 100-150 to keep a teenaged boy up with his peers is going to make that cr85 look like a saving account.
thanks Iv change my mind again ill hold onto the cr 85 till I rip the cylinder at least and inspect more..but I just have a bad feeling the crank barings are screwed judgeing by the rest of the bike..

That is kind of an anything kind of feeling when you buy a used bike not knowing what it is like. I bought two little yz's. Wasnt sure why I wanted them, but I have about 300 in a pair of them with locked up lower ends. one engine will probably end up in a gokart, the other has a bigbore kit to make it feel more trail friendly for me. They are a blast in the right places and light and quick. Just get your 85 all the way down and check some stuff and make a decision. fyi i am 6 feet tall, the 85 is tiny for me in a way, but that is what I was looking to add. they drag right next to a good 125 so they have all you need for acceleration.

ya iv done the clutch fork seals and spokes in the rims ..I know it needs a new piston at least and a bottom steering stem baring and linkage barings..and just as I was reading your last post I was told it won't idle but that's probably dirty carb and thats before I rip the top off