Best way to break in a new topend?

I am not sure if you are referring to using ATF to clean and lube the cylinders or the practice if using a high viscosity oil to coat the rotating parts. That works really well in a plain bearing application. If your friend was a Vic Pickens disciple he was probably fond of spinning those engines over a long time before letting them start

Using it as an entire assembly lube. Bearings and all.
He used to pressureize the oil galleys and crank the motors with an electric motor and belt.
As kids we would sit at the end of his driveway and when the motor kicked over it would blow our hats off. We loved it.
He had a bad ass ford falcon wagon that was hi daily driver. Glass packs and a whistler under the hood. Car was fricken cool!

He used to pressureize the oil galleys and crank the motors with an electric motor and belt.
As kids we would sit at the end of his driveway and when the motor kicked over it would blow our hats off. We loved it.
He had a bad ass ford falcon wagon that was hi daily driver. Glass packs and a whistler under the hood. Car was fricken cool!

That explains the skin color and thought process. Still looking for a reason of other things in your life son.

I like doing similar on a plain bearing engine. unlike some of the assembly lubes that have solids in them it doesnt plug the oil filter in 15 minutes either. Had to be quite the electric motor. Vic was a "plugs out and wind the starter until it had pressure and the galleys were full". I always wondered how much difference it made, but it was about 10 years before I would have anything to do with anything "nitro" fueled and he had been doing it a long time.

Last edited:
I like doing similar on a plain bearing engine. unlike some of the assembly lubes that have solids in them it doesnt plug the oil filter in 15 minutes either. Had to be quite the electric motor. Vic was a "plugs out and wind the starter until it had
pressure and the galleys were full". I always wondered how
much difference it made, but it was about 10 years before I
would have anything to do with anything "nitro" fueled and
he had been doing it a long time.

Whenever I either built an engine or replaced one with a longblock, I would do a static prime whenever possible, usually by hand or drill spin the oil pump untill I saw the
rockers bleeding oil, otherwise, like stated before, plugs out
and crank prime..

Also on one engine I caught a leaking oil galley plug in rear of engine that way, before I installed it, it was a huge pain in the ass avoided that day.

Last edited:
Several years ago I was in the pits at WORCS Havasu, back when Caselli still raced a 2 stroke, they put a motor in the bike after practice, started it up, let it run long enough to warm up, and said there its broken in.

Whenever I either built an engine or replaced one with a longblock, I would do a static prime whenever possible, usually by hand or drill spin the oil pump untill I saw the
rockers bleeding oil, otherwise, like stated before, plugs out
and crank prime..

Also on one engine I caught a leaking oil galley plug in rear of engine that way, before I installed it, it was a huge pain in the ass avoided that day.

Seems like everyone I knew was scrapping old distributors and making a drive for their drill. Never had one. Vic had me convinced that if you didn't purge the journals that the purpose was defeated. According to him I needed to turn the crank under pressure and the best and laziest way was to use the starter. Balanced assemblies and Pep Boys starters didn't always make that easy. Put one together with 10-1 pistons once that my step brother had to push start until he could afford a starter that would turn it over fast enough to make it light.

Last edited:
I like doing similar on a plain bearing engine. unlike some of the assembly lubes that have solids in them it doesnt plug the oil filter in 15 minutes either. Had to be quite the electric motor. Vic was a "plugs out and wind the starter until it had pressure and the galleys were full". I always wondered how much difference it made, but it was about 10 years before I would have anything to do with anything "nitro" fueled and he had been doing it a long time.

Plugs out and start spinning. He always did this on his benches which were really unique. Like a motorcycle hydraulic bench with the center cut out and a engine stand mount so he could roll the motor. The mount was huge though like one you would use for a truck motor.

Nice influence to have. We should feel sorry for the guys who missed out on things like that.

A lot of neighbors were like that..... "I can do this, so let me show you how so you can do it too." Not anymore though. lots of closed doors. I'm lucky to have a wide variety of family friends that do everything from blue collar to white collar to help mold my kid.