Beginner Cost Related Question: Used 2stroke or used 4stroke enduro motorcycle

Hello everyone!
I am looking to purchase my first enduro bike and I would like to ask for some assistance.
I would like to know what would be "safer" to buy, a 2stroke used motorcycle or a 4stroke used motorcycle.
For me, it is not a matter of which one is a better engine. It is mostly cost of maintenance in the long run.
From what I understand 2strokes have less moving parts and are easier and cheaper to repair/maintain.
Therefore, under that assumption it would be wiser to buy a used 2stroke, in case there are issues that are missed in the initial checkup before the buy or arise due to the fact that it is a used motorcycle.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

Also below is more info regarding myself:

Skill Level: Beginner/New Rider (offroad) Have been riding bikes since I was 15.

Height & weight: 5'11" / 180cm , 172lbs / 78kg

Usage: Trail riding / enduro riding

Budget: 6000 USD / 5000 EUR

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome!
DISCLAIMER: I only own old ass junk.
I have mostly 2T bikes, but (like Boobs) I haven't found a dirtbike I didn't like.
If you maintain a bike yourself, neither 4T or 2T will cost more in the long run.
I like to think, the smaller the displacement, the more often it will require replacement. This doesn't apply to racing.
So a 250 will need work before a 450, in my experience, because it will be ridden harder.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome!
DISCLAIMER: I only own old ass junk.
I have mostly 2T bikes, but (like Boobs) I haven't found a dirtbike I didn't like.
If you maintain a bike yourself, neither 4T or 2T will cost more in the long run.
I like to think, the smaller the displacement, the more often it will require replacement. This doesn't apply to racing.
So a 250 will need work before a 450, in my experience, because it will be ridden harder.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Thank you sir for your comment!
I hope that I will also enjoy dirt bikes the same( as boobs) ☺️
I don't plan on working on the bike myself other than the easy maintenance stuff due to lack of time and knowledge.

Depends on how you look at it. Most modern 4st have an oil filter that would need to be replaced during you normal oil service, so there is an added cost. 4st Valves will need to be adjusted, if you do this yourself and need to add shims, that is an added cost or more is a dealer needs to do it. Top ends are more timely and expensive on a 4st as well with the messing with the timing chain.

Depends on how you look at it. Most modern 4st have an oil filter that would need to be replaced during you normal oil service, so there is an added cost. 4st Valves will need to be adjusted, if you do this yourself and need to add shims, that is an added cost or more is a dealer needs to do it. Top ends are more timely and expensive on a 4st as well with the messing with the timing chain.
Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it

2-stroke is cheaper IMO.
No valves, guides, chains, cams, tensioners, etc.
No extra tooling - valve spring compressors, grinding, etc.
Less knowledge required.
Carbs are usually simpler.