Beggining bike

Hey, to start off. I'm 14. I weigh 98 pounds, and am 5 foot 6 inches.

I am looking at buying a dirt bike because I think it would be fun. But I'm not sure what to get..

I have had no luck on eBay, Craigslist, or anywhere else. It's all very pricey.

I'm looking at $800 USD.(give or take some) and don't mind going used. My dad recommends a 80cc bike, so 70-90cc is good.

I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with the more expensive ones. I just want a solid dirt bike.

Any suggestions?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome. An XR80 or CRF 80 would be a good choice, easy to find, work on, and maintain. Any 110 and smaller 4T will suit your needs for a while.
Stay away from the chinese bikes, they will cause you headaches in the long term.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Hey, to start off. I'm 14. I weigh 98 pounds, and am 5 foot 6 inches.

I am looking at buying a dirt bike because I think it would be fun. But I'm not sure what to get..

I have had no luck on eBay, Craigslist, or anywhere else. It's all very pricey.

I'm looking at $800 USD.(give or take some) and don't mind going used. My dad recommends a 80cc bike, so 70-90cc is good.

I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with the more expensive ones. I just want a solid dirt bike.

Any suggestions?

800 bones, look at getting a crf150, klx140l, ttr230 or a crf230 for a great first starter bike. Hard to find for 800 though. CL will be your best bet. Where are you located?

I am located in Georgia, metro Atlanta area

Also, I'm willing to go higher in the price, j just want to not spend a crazy amount for being new... I'm planning on going to a shop that sells them to try some out..

The 150 looks like a good match. The xr 80 and the cr100 will both seem slow to you quickly. They are both really good bikes though. If you can find an xr200 or tt225 or 230 you would feel at home pretty soon too.

The klx140 is priced nicely for what it is too.

150 or bigger on the starter bikes.
Why a 150 or bigger? Just curious.

Everyone says to get a bike that fits well. Not that you can grow into.

I'm not planning on racing or something like that yet...

The 150 looks like a good match. The xr 80 and the cr100 will both seem slow to you quickly. They are both really good bikes though. If you can find an xr200 or tt225 or 230 you would feel at home pretty soon too.

The klx140 is priced nicely for what it is too.

Why would it be slow to me. I've only ever ridden a 4 wheelers at 20 mph at the most. And I have only ridden a bicycle. So it's not like I've done this my whole life.

However, on the flip side. I can agree...
Do you know the top speed on the xr80? I've heard 10-15 from a few people, and 40-45 from most... If the 40-45 is true. That way faster then I'll be going for quite a while...

Why a 150 or bigger? Just curious.

Everyone says to get a bike that fits well. Not that you can grow into.

I'm not planning on racing or something like that yet...

Why would it be slow to me. I've only ever ridden a 4 wheelers at 20 mph at the most. And I have only ridden a bicycle. So it's not like I've done this my whole life.

However, on the flip side. I can agree...
Do you know the top speed on the xr80? I've heard 10-15 from a few people, and 40-45 from most... If the 40-45 is true. That way faster then I'll be going for quite a while...
40-45

and you will change pretty fast. the good thing is that if you take good care of it, dont thrash it etc, you can sell it easily when it is time. try not to forget that like the rest of the people on here i was your age once and unless you are spastic i am guessing you will progress as fast as i did.

40-45

and you will change pretty fast. the good thing is that if you take good care of it, dont thrash it etc, you can sell it easily when it is time. try not to forget that like the rest of the people on here i was your age once and unless you are spastic i am guessing you will progress as fast as i did.

Hmmm... How fast the the 150 go?

i have only ridden one and it was a day when i didnt need it to go over 50. felt like the geared the way it was (undergeared) it could have done an easy 60

Hmmmmm.. I may go for a 150. However... If I wanted a bike that was street legal(without a kit) how much more would it be?

I know I'm only 14, but I will be driving in a year and a half. So why not have that option of taking to the grocery store, or whatever..