Battery question!!

I am looking to replace the a battery for a security system backup. The battery that I took out says:

12V 4AH

The only one I can find for replacement says

12V 5.0AH

What is the difference? :noidea:

it means it can deliver 12v at 4 or 5 amps per hour.

one is 4 amps per hour and the other is 5 amps per hour.

quick google explains it better then i can.
Remember. Voltage is supplied by the battery but current/ amps are drawn by the appliance. Power in watts is calculated as volts x amps. So for instance a 12 volt bulb drawing 2 amps is: 12x2=24 so it is a 24 watt bulb. so on a 12v 5ah battery it will burn for about 10 mins. This is why car batteries are quite big for only a 12 volt battery, the massive current drawn by just turning the engine would flatten a small battery, and probably still wouldn't start even then.

it means it can deliver 12v at 4 or 5 amps per hour.

one is 4 amps per hour and the other is 5 amps per hour.

quick google explains it better then i can.

Thanks Travace! :cheers:

So it should not hurt to use the 12V 5.0AH :noidea:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I assure you the 5 AH battery will last longer and have no effect otherwise.
Amperage is a "demand" type of circuit. The battery only gives what is asked for by the load.
In this case it can run for longer because your "load" (security system) will not ask for more amperage just because it's available. :thumb:

A dirtbike example? SURE
Each load only turns the throttle so much to get an exact power output.
Enlarge the size of the engine and the load will turn the throttle less to get the same power output.
Now, the wider the throttle is opened, the less MPG you get.
Thusly,(according to this logic) the larger engine will use less fuel and go farther!!!

I assure you the 5 AH battery will last longer and have no effect otherwise.
Amperage is a "demand" type of circuit. The battery only gives what is asked for by the load.
In this case it can run for longer because your "load" (security system) will not ask for more amperage just because it's available. :thumb:

Thanks Dan

It's probably the exact same battery. Someone thought that "Hey if we mark it 5 amp hours instead of 4.5 we will sell more."

As long as the voltage is the same and the new battery fits the space it should work fine.

Thanks.