Bar bends

James

Staff member
Bars are one thing I've never messed with, yeah I know. :bonk: My question is how do you figure out what bar bend to try, without buying 20 different ones that is? Is there a "guide" to bar bends that I don't know about?

I currently have Tag T2 bars, unknown bend (came with the bike), they just feel "high" to me. :noidea:

Bars are one thing I've never messed with, yeah I know. :bonk: My question is how do you figure out what bar bend to try, without buying 20 different ones that is? Is there a "guide" to bar bends that I don't know about?

I currently have Tag T2 bars, unknown bend (came with the bike), they just feel "high" to me. :noidea:

I like the CR High Bend from ProTaper:prof:. Go to Cyclegear and grab a hold of several different sets.

I like the CR High Bend from ProTaper:prof:. Go to Cyclegear and grab a hold of several different sets.

This is what I like also. I also roll my forward to the #1 mark. My bars also have 1" spacer. I stand alot so that may make a difference.

I can't believe no one jumped on the opportunity, I will,,,,I would think everything feels high to you :P

Seriously tho, if you trail ride allot you stand more and you'll want a high bend for that, MX you sit more so you want a mid to low bend but it really is all in how you feel on your bike. No one can answer this question unless they have the same bike and the same height and ride the same style you do. I like my renthals, they fit me, but that is me.:thumb:

Rockymountain ATV has a good selection of inexpensive bars. I bought a new one for my bike. I got the Tusk CR high bend 7/8 bar. They are aluminum bars and I paid $27 for them. They are taller than the Renthals that I had. I noticed a little difference while sitting but not much. Where I really noticed is when I stand. I can actually stand up straight with out slouching. So you may have to spend a little bit to figure out what is best for you. But you could end up racking up a pretty good bill trying out different bar bends to get whats right for you. I knew I needed a taller bar for desert and trails as I do stand alot more than sit.

When buying new bars, there are three dimensions that you need to determine: width, height, and pull back. Break out the tape measure and check yours now. Then, what I do, is to hold my hands where I think that I want them to be and measure the distance from the current bars. Now you can get a general idea of the handlebar specs to shop for. All manufacturers list the specs for their bars on their websites so you don't have to go to every shop in town.
This diagram shows how to measure the bars and lists some specs for Pro Taper bars: http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB...ndlebars&sid=6r506320616ox7cpre50s772msk1e807

theres alot of factors that go into what bend is going to be comfortable to you, keep in mind that different bikes have different peg heights and seat positions which is going to effect which bend is comfortable, and of course there is the height and arm reach of the ride to consider, riding style is also going to play a factor.
For me personally, the Henry/Reed bend pro taper bar was perfect. :)

Its funny I jump on my buddies Suzuki 450 and had to get off. His bars where so uncomfortable and low I felt like I was holding my knees. I couldn't control the bike. Didn't realize how much difference it made

I've got to think it's just how they feel compared to what you have now...Look at your bend, then when at the shop visualize yours compared to the new ones...is the rise higher lower, is the grip wider narrower...is the grip also straiter or bentthe same or more (if they do that:thinking:)...

Sit on your bike and place you hands ion various positions (up, down, etc) and see what feels good... That is all! :prof: