All Baldy Mesa 9/28

SRAD97750

Staff member
My weekly ride has started to fall on tuesdays.
6 AM, beat the heat. Home by 10 or so. (Totally negotiable.)
35 miles, sandy hillclimbs for fun, "not a race" kinda ride.
Anyone wanna join me?
My brother and I will be at the staging area under the second train crossing in the 71 Chevy. Black yamaha, yellow kawasaki. Go figure...

13111.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Sounds like fun! I have a bald rear, an oil leak that wont go away and it is also a pretty far drive for me! Darn! Post some pics of your ride. I'd like to see.:thumb: I havent rode over that way before. Have fun and be safe! Hydrate X's a million!

SRAD97750

Staff member
OK, It's on like donkey kong. 6:30 is a promising time to beat the heat. BALDY MESA is off the 15 at the 138. Follow the Dirt road that goes parallel the NB 15. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Last tuesday was fun. Met up with Rivithead242 from TT and rode about 30 Miles. Good fun.
Another fellow from TT wants to go SUNDAY in the AM and Rivithead wants to try another TUESDAY AM this week.
ALL ARE INVITED. PLEASE COME OUT AND BURN SOME FUEL!!! NICE AND EASY! -BIG DAN:thumb:
Fwy Exit and Dirt road entrance
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...311971,-117.473831&spn=0.000999,0.002832&z=19
Staging area on google maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...4.33172911,-117.47835467,1389.6,6.308,13.75,0

SRAD97750

Staff member
Baldy got rain! Conditions were only slightly improved, but definitely better. Alot less dust.
Nobody came up and said hello, so we left staging and found OAKHILLBIKER and his buddy waiting for us at the crest. Lucky we stopped!
SO MANY PEOPLE! More people then I've seen all year. From 7AM on, saw nearly 20 other riders, 4 quads, and a rhino. About 10 people attempting the hillclimbs, Oakhillbiker showed us how it was done.:thumb:
Time was short, my brother got a little dehydrated and needed a break so we headed back to the truck. Short 20 mile loop. Wish we could have rode the other half but duty calls.
Back at staging, Ranger was rolling hard on everyone. Loaded the bikes fast into the truck while he was ticketing some unlucky spark throwers. "You guy's ridin' today?" as he walks briskly to my truck. "We're leaving shortly." I informed. Just before I command him to leave my stuff alone, he jogs off into the path of a group of riders that had just started rolling out. Makes them get back off, shut down, helmets off, 20 questions.
"MAKE THAT MONEY PO PO!" I proclaim as I blast off down the exit fireroad.
TUESDAY 6:30 AM. We're doing it again. Plan on seeing all the good Quadtrak and take it easy. Easyrider is the key, I have work all week and spangler next sunday. Not interested in getting all sore, or blown-out before spangler hills. See you there. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Great ride today. Rivithead242(TT) made it out nice and early for a foggy, drizzled ride. Sold a day pass ($5) to some quadders that had never been in the forest apparently. We skipped along 3N21 without incident, and fiddled with all the good quadtrak.
The thick fog left us with 40 feet or so of visibility and made our travels on the 3N21 much more entertaining. On the way back the GPS even lost sat connection shortly due to the fog. Great experience.

3N24 which is usually quite loose sand, has benefited from the rain greatly, even since sunday! We barrelled down all the usual quadtrak and found ourselves at the top of the eastern hillclimb at 5117ft and dropped down the 440ft eastern sandhill.
My brother had his way with a few hillclimbs attempts and progressively got further and further up (what we consider) the hardest paths up east and west sand hills. I gave it a few attempts and generally had a great time at Baldy. Didn't want to get strained before spangler!!!
33 miles (probably more) of sand and fog was worth it all the way around. Now mapped on google earth, i see we even missed more fun stuff that is left out there. I guess I'll have to get my act together and remember all the stuff I want to hit and do it in a sensible loop.

GOPRO is in the mail, so soon I can try and capture some of these great times. Pulling out the digital is just too much trouble halfway up a 400ft hillclimb! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Great ride today. Rivithead242(TT) made it out nice and early for a foggy, drizzled ride. Sold a day pass ($5) to some quadders that had never been in the forest apparently. We skipped along 3N21 without incident, and fiddled with all the good quadtrak.
The thick fog left us with 40 feet or so of visibility and made our travels on the 3N21 much more entertaining. On the way back the GPS even lost sat connection shortly due to the fog. Great experience.

3N24 which is usually quite loose sand, has benefited from the rain greatly, even since sunday! We barrelled down all the usual quadtrak and found ourselves at the top of the eastern hillclimb at 5117ft and dropped down the 440ft eastern sandhill.
My brother had his way with a few hillclimbs attempts and progressively got further and further up (what we consider) the hardest paths up east and west sand hills. I gave it a few attempts and generally had a great time at Baldy. Didn't want to get strained before spangler!!!
33 miles (probably more) of sand and fog was worth it all the way around. Now mapped on google earth, i see we even missed more fun stuff that is left out there. I guess I'll have to get my act together and remember all the stuff I want to hit and do it in a sensible loop.

GOPRO is in the mail, so soon I can try and capture some of these great times. Pulling out the digital is just too much trouble halfway up a 400ft hillclimb! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Actually sounds inviting that mist and fog:thumb: I look forward to seeing your GoPro footage. I havent rode anywhere around there. This way I know what Im getting into before I do.

Glad you had some fun out on the bike:ride: I hold onto my day pass...if you know what I mean:devil:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Actually sounds inviting that mist and fog:thumb: I look forward to seeing your GoPro footage. I havent rode anywhere around there. This way I know what Im getting into before I do.

Glad you had some fun out on the bike:ride: I hold onto my day pass...if you know what I mean:devil:

I always have spare day passes along with my annual. For those who don't come prepared.

Baldy mesa is my fav because it allows you to choose your difficulty level. From totally easy to mild pucker situations. Gopro will be along with me at all times. Soon I'll be blasting this forum, like sarge, with videos. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I always have spare day passes along with my annual. For those who don't come prepared.

Baldy mesa is my fav because it allows you to choose your difficulty level. From totally easy to mild pucker situations. Gopro will be along with me at all times. Soon I'll be blasting this forum, like sarge, with videos. -BIG DAN:thumb:

:thumb:

Great ride today. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Sorry we didn't meet up but I wanted to play the whole day....staged at the dam, rode some legal trails, semi wet dirt, sunny skies, no one out there, filled up my left boot at deep creek and back to work at 5pm.
Probably see you at Spangler Sunday.