Back to riding

Hello everybody, new to the forum nice to meet everyone.

Little background, I'm 29, I grew up riding dirt bikes starting at age 6. Around 8 years ago I sold my bikes, due to the normal life, college work situation, and have been missing it ever since.

I grew up riding 2 strokes, my last bike was a 2007 cr250. I loved the power, of course the very powerful power band. As I stopped the sport, 4 strokes were on the rise and 2 strokes gaining a rep as "old" technology. I have never rode a 4 stroke , at least dirt bike four stroke. As you know where this is headed, I'm very torn on what bike to purchase. I will be looking something fairly recent , 2016 and up, maybe even new or leftover model if price is right. I no longer have friends or a circle of people who ride so testing out a couple bikes is hard. The question is really should I hop back on a 250, or move to a four stroke. Around here it's hard to come by a dealership that will actually let you test drive a bike. Been hearing great things about the new Honda cr 450r and Rx

Mainly the bike will be used on local small tracks, some trail and woods riding. I really just am looking for all your opinions and how all the two stroke guys who have made the change feel.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
When the 250f started making 40+ hp stock, EFI and 230lbs wet I had to give up my 250 two strokes. Had a 450f but it was too far removed from the bikes I was used to. I like the 250T quick reving power delivery and the 450 was just brutish for me, and the extra 15lbs felt like a bull in a china shop on trails. Just my opinion. I liked it for mx, but that's because I cruise the berms and the power still got me over the jumps. cheater. The 250F spools up quickly, but the power was uninspiring. I compromised and got PC modded crf250r. Light weight, plenty of boost. Just added a '14yz250f stock other than has high comp JE piston should be delivering at least 40hp. it feels a little more tame than the Honda but still a hoot to ride. To imagine these new small bores running against a 125T is laughable. So, I guess my vote is get a 250f and give it steroids.

Last edited:
When the 250f started making 40+ hp stock, EFI and 230lbs wet I had to give up my 250 two strokes. Had a 450f but it was too far removed from the bikes I was used to. I like the 250T quick reving power delivery and the 450 was just brutish for me, and the extra 15lbs felt like a bull in a china shop on trails. Just my opinion. I liked it for mx, but that's because I cruise the berms and the power still got me over the jumps. cheater. The 250F spools up quickly, but the power was uninspiring. I compromised and got PC modded crf250r. Light weight, plenty of boost. Just added a '14yz250f stock other than has high comp JE piston should be delivering at least 40hp. it feels a little more tame than the Honda but still a hoot to ride. To imagine these new small bores running against a 125T is laughable. So, I guess my vote is get a 250f and give it steroids.

No doubt. My son has an 09rmz250 stock, less than 50hrs on it. As fast if not faster than my RM250.

Wow, so both of you have or had 250 2 strokes and still would recommend the 250f. They really have that much power in comparison to a 250t? Truth be told on the track I'm confident a 250f will be fun and handle perfect, but what about in the trails, some mud sand or incline, will the 250f be strong enough for those situations compared to a 450f? I tell you, the price is a big difference, with a new 250f I'm seeing I could still add a grand to it and still be cheaper than the 450f.

The EFI is a big selling point. No more fiddling with floats and jetting for temperature swings and altitude.
Just sold my yz250 last year cause I quit riding it. Your 07 cr250 made about 45hp well tuned. The 250f/r weighs about the same and has a few less hp but is so much more controllable you will get away with having less. Engine braking is the hardest thing to get used to for me, I find myself pulling the clutch coming into mx turns, but on trail ride downhills it's awesome. And the tractable delivery makes the uphills more precise and less pinball. Again, a stock 250f may not excite you, it lacks the hit of a 250t but the power is there. It just comes on so much more smoothly you feel slower, but spinning ain't winning.
Some people prefer the 450 and use the power really well, but I'm almost 50 and I don't want to work that hard.

I miss the smell of my yz but when I wash my bikes, I blow them dry with a leaf blower. :P

coming off of an 8yr break, you may want to ease back into it. A 450 is a very different machine than your cr was. +10 hp and 15 lbs takes some getting used to.

Yeah you are making some very valid points and really appreciate it . I was reading up the past week on the honda, and see that the crf250r is going to get a overhaul for 2018, always the other dilemma when buying a new bike...the next model. Out of the new 250f Who's got the best rated bike right now? Or how do you feel about each of em
You guys been really helpful thanks again

Last edited:
I have a 450 4T and a 300 2T, from reading what you are doing and coming back into it, I think you may want to get another 2t. My 450 has a ton of power and is fun to ride anywhere. The 300 is more my race bike for the Dez and setup for the woods as well.

How big are you? Do you like to work on the bikes more or ride them more? Can you afford the upkeep and do the work on a 4st? Don't get a Honda 250 4st unless you like to work on them-they have been notorious for valve issues.

I'm 5 ft 8in 160 pounds. That's a good point, I have been taking the maintence into account, I don't mind spending time in the garage, or a couple extra bucks if it's worth it. My experience only working on two strokes but am willing to learn my way around something new. Im more focused on the pros and cons of the riding capabilities and overall better bike

If I'm purchasing a brand new bike , my options for two stroke are what pretty much Yamaha and ktm?

I'm really torn in all directions

Hey Fresno it's not 2005 anymore!
"Upkeep" costs money no matter what your riding and yeah orange or blue. And, in that regard you may as well buy a used blue one.

it's well known that all but yamaha had growing pains with their 4strokes. after 10+ years of refinement they have found what works and what doesn't.

Either way, welcome back new guy It's still just as fun as you remember. Get one you think you want and ride it! Whatever you wind up with you'll adapt and have a blast.

Yeah you are making some very valid points and really appreciate it . I was reading up the past week on the honda, and see that the crf250r is going to get a overhaul for 2018, always the other dilemma when buying a new bike...the next model. Out of the new 250f Who's got the best rated bike right now? Or how do you feel about each of em
You guys been really helpful thanks again

I haven't ridden the latest 250f's. I would like them I am sure. I built an older honda 250f, oversized IceCube engine, used gears from a crfx. It sits a lot. I prefer my yz250 (02) two stroke and even my yz 125's (139 and 144 kitted) since they are lighter. You need to go ride some of the latest of both worlds. That yamaha 250f 6 speed would be a good place to start comparing things for me, but if you are more moto oriented you have a lot of choices.

I'm really just worried about a 250f not having that excitement i loved in my cr 250. Been doing some reading up on the ktm 350sx , see testers saying it has the lightweight of a 250, but easier to handle than a 450... seems like smaller gas tank on the ktm bikes ? Suppose it is geared towards mx. Gonna go this weekend to a couple dealers, sit on a couple see if I can test any out, thanks for all the input it's appreciated.