AWD ??? anyone

Alright, so I am reading this months issue of Dirt Rider and there is an article about the enduro's and how this guy won the event on his Christini AWD bike. I just wandering if anyone has ever rode one of these bikes. Looks like another way to take the rider out of the equation :noidea:

christini-1_485x364.jpg

Christini_Frame.sized.jpg

Christini-AWD-Motorcycle.jpg

James

Staff member
OK that's just nuts, better hide this thread from Mihlyo as he'll go off a :rant: :smirk:

I'm curious as to how well this actually works, plus that's just more parts to wear out. :bonk:

Yeah, Mihylo goes off on a rekluse this will send him off the deep end:smirk:

I have heard of them before but blew off as a guy messing around with to much time on his hands, tho it seems like a legit mechanism add on to a bike and some are running this in races now..I youtubed it and you can see the front tire spinning like crazy. It would be a definite advantage to uphill climbs. But i think it should be a no no:naughty: unless they create a class just for this type of bike but thats just my opinion.

nocover-goldchain.jpg

Power runs via chain from the secondary countershaft sprocket up to a gearbox located on the frame.
frame-top.jpg

Power is converted to a drive shaft running under the tank to the modified steering head.
tube-gears.jpg

Counter rotating bevel gears located within the head tube transfer power to the lower triple clamp.
bottom-clamp.jpg

The lower triple clamp contains a small chain and sprocket system that drives two counter-rotating drive shafts.
shafts.jpg

The%20specially%20coated%20drive%20shafts%20are%20telescopic%20and%20incorporate%20linear%20ball%20spline%20bearings.%20They%20are%20counter%20rotating%20to%20eliminate%20torque%20effect.%20They%20run%20the%20length%20of%20the%20fork%20to%20the%20front%20hub.

The specially coated drive shafts are telescopic and incorporate linear ball spline bearings. They are counter rotating to eliminate torque effect. They run the length of the fork to the front hub.
hub1.jpg

The Christini AWD front hub is equipped with one-way clutches allowing the wheel to transfer power when needed, and freewheel when not in use.

Conversions are currently available for the following:

• KTM Off-road 250/300 XC and XCW
  • KTM 450/530 XCRW and EXCR
  • Honda CRF250X
  • Honda CRF250R
  • Honda CRF450X

TRAIL-BREAKER.JPG

these were bad ass AWD not race ready tho :lol:

were? they still are.

http://rokon.com/products/trailbrkr.htm

damn expensive though, like 6k...

and look, it has a crappy kohler engine in it.

I'd rather build one for myself, it'd be cheaper, just as, if not more capable, and I'd either use an XR 400 engine or a 13 horse clone engine(there's SOOOO many mods and parts for those things thanks to karters..)

I have heard of them before but blew off as a guy messing around with to much time on his hands, tho it seems like a legit mechanism add on to a bike and some are running this in races now..I youtubed it and you can see the front tire spinning like crazy. It would be a definite advantage to uphill climbs. But i think it should be a no no:naughty: unless they create a class just for this type of bike but thats just my opinion.

Allot of pro enduro guys use them, they kick regular bike ass in slow, steep up hills

though a guy on a trials could do that too, with 1 wheel drive, just a lil slower

Geoff Aaron has been running one of these for a few years now in the Endurocross series
normal_99818500_1258959606.jpg

2 Smoker!!!

:thumb:

OK that's just nuts, better hide this thread from Mihlyo as he'll go off a :rant: :smirk:

I'm curious as to how well this actually works, plus that's just more parts to wear out. :bonk:

Your freakin right! !ou better hide this shit from Mihylo! That guy gets his knickers in a twist!:P

Damn POS awd with a rekluse and a thumper no doubt! Definetly a Tampax moment when you buy this pussy mobile!:moon:

I saw this bike at the NYC bike show a year ago. I have pics somewhere. Its neat and has a niche, should be allowed to race unless it has its own class though. since there is no rule for it now I guess its barely legal.

here it is in KTM trim at the NYC show, which is this wknd.
NYCmotorcycleshow001.jpg

Its a pretty bitchen set up. It is hugely expensive. I looked into it just for grins. If I remember correctly it adds like an additional 2500-3000 on top of the original cost of the bike. Plus I think you have to use there frame set up to accomodate your engine and parts.

James

Staff member
The above setup looks a lot more practical verses these. :bonk: I guess these have a Lawson AWD conversion kit on them.

487608_10151379373818576_2024283692_n.jpg

P.S. threads like this is why I hate when images are hotlinked, notice how the images in some of the previous posts aren't there anymore :bonk:

This has been around for a while... There was another thread with it in it... can't remember what it was called. :noidea: