ATTENTION BAJATAXI WE WANT A RR!

When I got the invitation to my oldest son's wedding, I was estatic!
Road trip to Boise!!
Bring the young un and the bikes!!!
Never been there in the summertime.

Get work out of the way and take my time.....
005.jpg

Summer hadn't really started this year but the weather looked promising
007.jpg

First stop was Mammoth area. California camping? Glass Creek was a sea of toyhaulers and rv's.
The creek was wide enough to be called a creek, but.......

Go primitive! We drove in a couple miles and found a nice spot under the trees by a creek and waterfall.

Hikers only;
013.jpg

Cellphone service?! Not primitive enough for me, I'm on vacation!

Went riding in the morning, beautiful area.
016.jpg

We quickly found the 4 "motorcycle and atv" only trails in that area and also quickly rode them.....Time to head North so soon?
017.jpg

Do you know they have a dirt route "auto tour" there? I think that is how I remember Mammoth. I'm sure they have good stuff somewhere, that's not all deep, loose and dusty, we just didn't find it. About 40 miles on the bikes?

Time to pack it up and hit the road
021.jpg

Stock up on fireworks
022.jpg

and make that 10 hour drive......

Next morning, ok, afternoon, was the local spot
024.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

4 trails, 1 hiker, 1 downed tree, about 30 miles?
3 days on the road, 2 on the bike.

The next day, after the prior night's thunder and lightning downpour, we took the mountain biking oldest and his dog to climb Pilot peak.
Went exploring while we waited for him to climb over 2k of vertical.....
Forgot the camera, didn't bring the cell, no pics of the old mines, wet dirt, fields of flowers or me and my boys with all of Idaho spread out in a 360 view around us....about 35 miles on the bikes.

Stopped at Rabbit Creek for a bbq on the way home
033.jpg

Went to sleep early, comparitively, because I had a date at 7am!
Deadwood trails with some locals:thumb:
I haven't met an axe murderer yet on TT, just some mighty good guys!

I did tell them I was from California, right?

Beautiful drive, watch out for deer.

Weather was perfect, wet dirt, cool with rain threatening....
038.jpg

Road trip to Boise!!

005.jpg

007.jpg

First stop was Mammoth area. California camping? Glass Creek was a sea of toyhaulers and rv's.

Go primitive! We drove in a couple miles and found a nice spot under the trees by a creek and waterfall.

Hikers only;
013.jpg

016.jpg

We quickly found the 4 "motorcycle and atv" only trails in that area and also quickly rode them.....Time to head North so soon?
017.jpg

Do you know they have a dirt route "auto tour" there? I think that is how I remember Mammoth. I'm sure they have good stuff somewhere, that's not all deep, loose and dusty, we just didn't find it. About 40 miles on the bikes?

021.jpg

Stock up on fireworks
022.jpg

024.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

The next day, after the prior night's thunder and lightning downpour, we took the mountain biking oldest and his dog to climb Pilot peak.
Forgot the camera, didn't bring the cell, no pics of the old mines, wet dirt, fields of flowers or me and my boys with all of Idaho spread out in a 360 view around us....about 35 miles on the bikes.

033.jpg

038.jpg

Sounds like a fun trip......keep it coming..:thumb:

Road trip to Boise!!

005.jpg

007.jpg

Hikers only;
013.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

021.jpg

Stock up on fireworks
022.jpg

024.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

038.jpg

look at the 5th pic :shocked: the guy is invisible

Tapping fingers impatiently wanting to know about standing the bike on end. Wondering if your bike was a little high geared. The usual. :devil:

ok, where was I?
Oh yeah, I told them I was from California, right?
They picked me up at 7am and we made the drive to the "sportsmans access", about an hour and a half of twisting roads with lots of deer make a slow ride. Beautiful country with clouds clinging to the mtns, amazing.
I had the pre ride jitters, a good nervous feeling, not knowing what to expect. I did tell them to be gentle with me as this was our "first date".
D had a loop planned out that he had wanted to try, so off we went....

Wet dirt, cool temps, no other tracks but ours....good stuff! We started off up the smooth flowing single track and it was heaven. Came to the first obstacle and after watching them go over the dead deer, I took the line to the left through the roots and stalled it right over the stinky beast, aarrgghhh. Kick start over the belly and I'm off....fun and flowing then we popped out on the mountain side with a little bit of exposure.
039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

I was feeling on top o the world, but that was only a few miles in....
042.jpg

We had also came across some Montana Conservation Corps hikers who were doing trail restoration and we thanked them for the rock/log supports at some of the washed out hooks on the trail:thumb:

After that was more flowing st, I even found 4th gear a few times.:ride:

Hard to get a directional bearing when moss grows on all sides
045.jpg

I had asked permission to take some pics, but we didn't do too much stopping. Most pics are from the end of the trail, here is the first
046.jpg

048.jpg

That popped us out on a fire road, but the next trail was right there and off we went. I think that was my favorite trail, no pics til the end
049.jpg

My oldest tells me there's a real nice hot spring back a little ways, watch out for territorial elk.

051.jpg

We passed a couple guys on mini bikes around here, should have seen the look in their eyes as they hurried off the st, didn't know how they got up there until M said the next section was so easy even a car could do it
055.jpg

Not a good day for the beach
054.jpg

A little bit of road and back in the trees
058.jpg

They are prettier when they are standing up
061.jpg

Where is a sawyer when you need one? (saw this days later)
274.jpg

We found a way around this one
063.jpg

Next up was the first swamp/flooded meadow. Black stinky mud. The hotline was not through the middle. Found a way around that one but not the next few, got stuck up to the airbox in one but a quick dismount-pick up the rear wheel-give it gas while muck walking got me out fairly quick. No stopping for pics because we had miles to go before dark set in....

Back to the flow
064.jpg

Came upon an old hunters camp, we didn't rest long as the skeeters smelled us and were dive bombing
066.jpg

Down the right and up the left, now the fun is over
065.jpg

Lightning Ridge in a thunderstorm, burnt trees all around, loose, rocky and nasty. Hard work. I was pretty much done at this time. Where is the fire road? No such luck, halfway done, one obstacle/section at a time, keep moving so I don't have to sleep with the wolves.....

I have never fallen so much. Luckily I was with two great guys who are also great riders. It was D's idea to do this loop, so I let him ride my bike a few times (after I collected my dirt samples) in the sake of time management. Here is the man in action
056.jpg

059.jpg

060-1.jpg

I did rejet but should have regeared also, alot of crawling in 1st/2nd...

That was the last of my pics as things just got worse (for me) from there. Beautiful single track overgrown with bushes and trees soaking to the boots. Hiding logs, rocks, g outs and everything else from view. Body slamming unexpectedly. Goggles and glasses worthless in the rain. I'll never forget hitting that big rock on a climb and holding my bars while the bike did a 180 with a twist above my head, perfect landing.
I started getting my groove back (keep feet on the pegs, keep feet on the pegs mantra) and actually amazed myself by cleaning several consecutive sections and this one nasty rooty rocky switchback, well almost.....the left guard kissed the tree as I came around and I did one of those slow motion, oh no going to snap a femur between bike and tree drop kind of moments....eject! Perfect front dive into tuck and roll get up laughing moment. What about my bike?
0811101759-00.jpg

I was too beat to take my camera out, wish I had as that move can not be duplicated....D couldn't resist taking his cellcam out as he had never seen anything like it...they will be talking about this Cali boy for a while.

No more pics as I did good just to make it back alive. The last descent had me dry coasting to save fuel and when I bumped it I got loose and almost lost the bike to a 2k steeep drop....front wheel a foot off the downhill side, nasty. I did laugh because what else can you do?

Back at the truck 7pm, 10 hours, 70 miles. 2 cups of water per boot.
Home at 11, no one was worried, they just wanted to go to the house we had rented for the next few days so off we went.....
Hot tub and bbq on the back deck overlooking the trail into the forest, sleeps 8
080.jpg

I did ride the next day, but just enough to dry the bike off after a wash. We needed a break from riding! Sore and bruised for a good 2 days......

Friday we did some exploring in BNF, taking double single track roads over quite a few ridges until the brush got too thick, no pics.

073.jpg

071.jpg

Camping in style
082.jpg

Saturday was the wedding, a day without riding?
242.jpg

Sunday I took off by myself early, found the back way to 8th Street, Bogus and some un named st..... and then hit the long road home
282.jpg

Didn't see another deer until one came crashing out of the bush at Suset Blvd/405 fwy, I swear he looked right at me and I knew what he was thinking, "let's go back".

I want to move there! Well I'll be back to SoCal for the winters. Hold on, I could get a snowmobile. That's the ticket!
I'm thinking the same thing, but snowmobiles are big money and weigh about 800lbs....not fun digging out of a tree well. They do have a cold desert close by.....Avg income 30k, avg house 150k. Guess I'll settle for living in Costa Rica one day and visiting Idaho when I get tired of the heat and humidity? It's good when you can finally bum a couch off your kid.