Are you an AMA member?

Are you an AMA member?

• Total voters
I'm not a member of the AMA. I AM a CRA member because they spend the money on local tracks and local riders, plus it's required if you want to race.

I can't see the benefit for the bucks where I ride. So, no, I'm not a member. Most HS races I ride are local, with no AMA required.

I do recognize the fact that the AMA has some clout in Congress and local government when it comes to keeping riding areas open. Their money seems to be spent out west. But that never affects me. I have everything I need without paying the AMA the dollars. That's pretty shitty, huh? Not supporting a sport I love?

Here's a good reason: They are crappy at telling me where my money will go and what affect it will have on our sport. Particularly where I RIDE! The AMA does nothing for me, other than collect my dues, if I want to ride in an AMA event! So I won't pay! I need to see a direct correlation between what I pay for and what I get these days! Money is tight! Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon!

Look at the NRA, Huh? If you pay your dues, they give you almost weekly info and a cool magazine every month specifically geared to your region! That's good service! I'll pay for that! (Life member, Would you expect less from anyone called "Buckrun"?) I directly benefit from my NRA membership. They have REAL clout that directly affects what I like to do! I can't say that AMA dues will do me the same.

:smirk:

James

Staff member
I do recognize the fact that the AMA has some clout in Congress and local government when it comes to keeping riding areas open. Their money seems to be spent out west. But that never affects me.
Yeah I'm sure that the biggest portion of the AMA's funds are spent in Commiefornia and surrounding areas, but with good reason as that's were it's really needed right now. However just because you don't see it directly affecting you right now, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't. If history teaches us anything it's that Commiefornia is were the idiotic laws usually start and then they work their way throughout the country. :foul: Doesn't it make more sense to cut the head off the state errr I mean snake?

We're just fortunate to live in states that still allow off roading/dirt bikes without to much fuss. :thumb:

BTW I get regular emails from the AMA (have to opt-in :thumb:), heck I got 2 yesterday, plus they also have a monthly magazine. The emails vary from national to local in their nature, depends on what and how many you wish to receive. I prefer "local/regional" emails over magazines as it's a lot quicker, plus saves the AMA money to spend on other important issues. :thumb:

Yeah I'm sure that the biggest portion of the AMA's funds are spent in Commiefornia and surrounding areas, but with good reason as that's were it's really needed right now. However just because you don't see it directly affecting you right now, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't. If history teaches us anything it's that Commiefornia is were the idiotic laws usually start and then they work their way throughout the country. :foul: Doesn't it make more sense to cut the head off the state errr I mean snake?

We're just fortunate to live in states that still allow off roading/dirt bikes without to much fuss. :thumb:

BTW I get regular emails from the AMA (have to opt-in :thumb:), heck I got 2 yesterday, plus they also have a monthly magazine. The emails vary from national to local in their nature, depends on what and how many you wish to receive. I prefer "local/regional" emails over magazines as it's a lot quicker, plus saves the AMA money to spend on other important issues. :thumb:
But us Commiefornians still have the largest and best off-road riding areas....Just saying

James

Staff member
But us Commiefornians still have the largest and best off-road riding areas....Just saying
That you do, but how much do you have now compared to what you used to have? Also being one of the biggest states probably has something to do with that as well. :thinking: I wonder how it would stack up against other states percentage wise?

Oh I have to disagree with you. I'd say that Nevada has the largest and best off road riding areas. And you dont have to pay to use any of them except one and a hand full of private MX tracks. And I dont go there.

The AMA might spend money in California, but I don't think much of it helps off roading. It's spent fighting helmet laws, street bike exclusion, and mufflers. If you want to ride a straight pipe Harley through Pebble beach with no helmet then the AMA is for you. Now I might have missed it, but has the AMA done anything with the loss of off roading trails and areas? I've never seen an AMA rep at any land use meetings. They want your money if you want to enter a race in the BLM open areas, but do they fight for them?

Been an AMA member since I started racing. At the time it was another card to have so I could have fun. Now its to support all the motorcyclist who want to ride on dirt or street. The government is making everything safe, watching out for your best interests, soon the only thing you will be riding is a couch.