Anyone know anything about ATK 406's????

i ended up getting rid of the rm125 i had for a 99cr250, not much of an enduro type of bike, a tad lighter than most big bores and in the process of putting money into it and making it more suitable for my style and what i was looking for. The good thing with that is there are so many parts readily available for hondas and many personalizable things for it and i live down the road from a honda dealer :thumb: another big plus.

i ended up getting rid of the rm125 i had for a 99cr250, not much of an enduro type of bike, a tad lighter than most big bores and in the process of putting money into it and making it more suitable for my style and what i was looking for. The good thing with that is there are so many parts readily available for hondas and many personalizable things for it and i live down the road from a honda dealer :thumb: another big plus.

The novelty of an ATK woulda been nice, but it's probably a smart move goin with something more aftermarket friendly.

yea having a classic like that would have been nice, but so far im pretty happy with what i have now with the stuff i'm adding to it. sept the part that I dropped back a few years. the cr though a deff. strong runner though, just need a few bugs worked out with like the front suspension and carb and probably here tom. purchasing vforce 3 reeds (stock in it now) going for more bottom end grunt. So any tips on that would be appreciated. My new sprocket kit should be in tom. 13t/52t. has stock size on it now. 13t/48or50

The airscrew/choke pull has to be screwed out almost all the way to get it to have a semi good idle, then I don't have a choke really for a cold start.and it looks like I'm riding around with my choke on. Also it doesn't seem to have a very good throttle response really unless I wined it up a bit, let off the throttle and get on it again.
?

sorry, didnt see your answer there. the enrichening valve on the pwk (the critter you pull up and down to start the engine cold in other words) does not act as idle or does it set the pison height on a pwk carburetor. the low speed air/fuel is all done by the air screw and the size of the low speed jet. set the float at 16mm. let me know if you are not familiar with how to set one. then start about 1.5 turns out on the air screw.

someone may have robbed the good carburetor off of your 99 it almost sounds like. go to bike bandit and compare slides from a 95 or so to a 99 if you dont know what to look for. the pwk has an actual idle screw that raises or lowers the throttle slide as well.

I have owned an ATK 406 CC for 5 years. My old man bought it new in '91. It has been ridden all over the Rocky Mountain's eastern slopes and is still a wonderful machine. Rotax did not tune those engines for all out horse power, they have very strong torque from low to mid way through the rpms. The engines are very smooth and predictable but have a subtle European clatter (imagine ducati dry clutch sound) this does not mean the engine is due for overhaul, it is just the way it is. Just like any 2 stroke it will rev to the moon and will constantly remind you that your job is to hang on and steer. This bike is 24 years old and is still running the original piston and rings. You will be hard pressed to beat the Austrians at engine manufacturing.
Don't worry about the rarity of the machine, if it is in good shape and know how to maintain it, it will last forever (If you are looking for a good kids bike do not buy one of these).
The frame is nickel plated cromo and the only thing on the frame to have ever broken is a number plate mounting tab last year due to vibration.
Agreed the parts are hard to find but Keith at ADB is friendly and willing to go the extra mile to keep a customer satisfied, and when you talk to Keith you are talking to a guy who built ATKs new at the factory.
Honestly, I can not say there is a bike I would rather have for climbing mountains. If you are mature enough to enjoy a fine whiskey you will love this machine.

M.

Last edited:
The airscrew/choke pull has to be screwed out almost all the way to get it to have a semi good idle, then I don't have a choke really for a cold start.and it looks like I'm riding around with my choke on. Also it doesn't seem to have a very good throttle response really unless I wined it up a bit, let off the throttle and get on it again.
?
Check your carb to engine boot for condition. Old rubber cracks and bolts rattle loose. This issue has killed may fine engines.

Hi everyone. I'm here trying to get info on ATK 406's. I found one for 1400$ obo with a title and could make it street legal which is a plus. Ive been looking into getting a bigger bike and selling my rm 125, just isn't enough not a very good trail bike either. And like I said I found one locally to where I live for that price and is very clean looking and maintained well. I'm just trying to get an idea if it's something I should stay away from and if parts are still readily available and things like that. I was looking at some xr400/650's and drz400's too but I'm trying to steer away more from four-stroke and stick with two-strokes(easier to maintain)
But any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have an ATK 406 2 stroke and I was out climbing 4 strokes and other 2 strokes like crazy it’s mean well mine is I can put it in 5th gear from takeoff and pull a wheelie.