Another ride with my Parents.

Well after a quick meeting with the USFW (They want to shut down the only Lake Here to all recreation) we headed out to Idaho City. My wife had to work so again it was my parents and I. We arrived at our camping location around 3pm. We had 27 miles to our desination.

After the bikes were fueled and gear was loaded we were on our way. The road was nice! I mean 40 mph nice. Needless to say we flew. Around the 10 mile mark things started to deteriorate fast. Water had run down the roads and left only rocks to ride on. Still things were pretty good and we kept pushing. Finally the top of the mountian where the steep decent starts. The road has a huge sign that says road closed due to wash out.

Down the road we go determined to make our distination. This road was 90% rock and with the ruts formed by running water we had to take things a little slower. We hit a few spots that were tight for a truck or something but nothing to close the road for. We wondered what the big deal was.

Then I came to a draw with a creek we had to cross. The rock flat was about 100yrds across with the creek flowing in the middle. The rock was sized from basketball size to baseball size. I picked my way across the flat until I hit the other side.

Thats when we seen it. The whole area the road was at was now 10' down and in the creek.:shocked: We noticed a 4 wheeler trail that went up in the bushes and I went to explore. The trail weaved in and out of the brush and over some logs then came to a 10' drop. Literally someone had just drove off the edge and started a new road. It wasn't to bad as it was maybe 30' long but the road was full of rock and powder dirt. I waved my parents to come on and they started through the brush. They looked at the drop and asked if we really wanted to go down it. I said we have winches if we need them as I slid down the hill. My parents then followed sliding down.

As soon as you hit the bottom of the hill it was all basketball sized rocks which made the next 100' a real work out for me. (The four wheelers just drove over them) A couple of the rocks sent me on a side path through some brush but I came out still on top of the bike and only a few scratches on my arms. Finally back on the road. From here on, the road was cake. I think I averaged 25 mph on this next stretch. Finally we reached our distination and there was nothing.:cry: The old town and everything was gone. Just a sign for the back country airport.:shocked:

We ran into two other riders and two hikers for a bit then desided to head out. We let the other riders take off first so they didn't get caught in the 4 wheelers dust. Again the ride was fast until the hill. After working my way through the rocks I reached the bottom of the hill. I wasn't sure I could get back up that way to I walked up the creek and choose a route. I could ride in the creek to the big wash out if I needed too.

There was no way to get any speed built up to hit the hill and everything was so loose there was no way I was going to get traction. Plus there were some big rocks I would have to bounce over on the way up.:thinking: When my parents arrived I backed the bike up as far as I could then gave her hell. The first bunch of rocks I hit had a nice burn out on them as I tried getting some traction. But it was short lived and the dirt just spun me out and the bike and I and dust slid down the hill. Cussing cause I killed the bike I slid it back down the hill. My dad mentioned he could just winch me up and I said I thought I could make it. Again I backed up and got another run. This time I packed a wheelie over the first rocks and this worked fine except the next rocks launched me in the air. Detremined to make it I left her opened up and rocks, dust, sticks, and half the world launched from the back tire. We were gaining but loosing momentum fast. One last rock shelf at the top, I pined it trying to get that front tire to climb but I couldn't get enough traction to pull her over it. The ledge stopped the front tire hard. Damn 5' to go and I would have made it! At this point I bailed off the bike and tried working the clutch and tried getting something thing to grab to get over the top but nothing. My dad ran up the hill and helped get the front tire over and I gave her hell and carried a wheelie out to the top.

Now the 4 wheelers. Two 660 grizzly's my mom went first. Locking all 4 solid she hit the slope the rocks would launch the front and the 4 wheeler would jump and grab diggin and throwing rock a few times she packed the front but climbed out the top finally. Next my dad. Unloading the dog he then started up the hill. There was no way. The front lifted high into the air and just wouldn't come down. The box on the back was pulling him over to far. I dashed down the hill and stood on the front bumper and held onto the rack. Again up the hill we went the 4 wheeler still wanted to climb over backward but we were making progress. With the front tires rarely touching the ground she climbed and popped out the top. Thank god that was over. It was way too late in the evening to be messing with a spot like that.:rolleyes:

The rest the ride seemed simple after that spot. When we reached the top of the mountain we ran into our other riders. The kid had put his bike down in the same spot I had issues and lost control of the bike. Busting the radiator mounting brackets and the zip ties they used to get to the top had broke again. He said they were fine and back together.

I told them to get going and if they had problems we were behind them. They agreed and thanked us and took off. The sun was falling fast so everyone agreed to head for camp and not stop until we hit camp. I opened up the WR and headed out. We still had a good hour and a half but man it was getting cool fast. As soon as we dropped off the top we were in the shadows and it got really cold. My arms were getting chilled and my eyes were watering from the wind coming in my googles.

The WR250 hummed coming back in 5th and I only tried for 6th about 50 times.:lol: Man what was yamaha thinking going with a 5 speed. We arrived back at camp with plenty light left. As I fueled the machines for the next days ride my parents prepared, Steak, salad, and fried potatos for dinner. What and excellent ride. Pictures will be up tomorrow.:thumb:

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

A bump in the road.

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

The shoot. Pictures just don't do it any justice.

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

Well after a quick meeting with the USFW (They want to shut down the only Lake Here to all recreation) we headed out to Idaho City. My wife had to work so again it was my parents and I. We arrived at our camping location around 3pm. We had 27 miles to our desination.

After the bikes were fueled and gear was loaded we were on our way. The road was nice! I mean 40 mph nice. Needless to say we flew. Around the 10 mile mark things started to deteriorate fast. Water had run down the roads and left only rocks to ride on. Still things were pretty good and we kept pushing. Finally the top of the mountian where the steep decent starts. The road has a huge sign that says road closed due to wash out.

Down the road we go determined to make our distination. This road was 90% rock and with the ruts formed by running water we had to take things a little slower. We hit a few spots that were tight for a truck or something but nothing to close the road for. We wondered what the big deal was.

Then I came to a draw with a creek we had to cross. The rock flat was about 100yrds across with the creek flowing in the middle. The rock was sized from basketball size to baseball size. I picked my way across the flat until I hit the other side.

Thats when we seen it. The whole area the road was at was now 10' down and in the creek.:shocked: We noticed a 4 wheeler trail that went up in the bushes and I went to explore. The trail weaved in and out of the brush and over some logs then came to a 10' drop. Literally someone had just drove off the edge and started a new road. It wasn't to bad as it was maybe 30' long but the road was full of rock and powder dirt. I waved my parents to come on and they started through the brush. They looked at the drop and asked if we really wanted to go down it. I said we have winches if we need them as I slid down the hill. My parents then followed sliding down.

As soon as you hit the bottom of the hill it was all basketball sized rocks which made the next 100' a real work out for me. (The four wheelers just drove over them) A couple of the rocks sent me on a side path through some brush but I came out still on top of the bike and only a few scratches on my arms. Finally back on the road. From here on, the road was cake. I think I averaged 25 mph on this next stretch. Finally we reached our distination and there was nothing.:cry: The old town and everything was gone. Just a sign for the back country airport.:shocked:

We ran into two other riders and two hikers for a bit then desided to head out. We let the other riders take off first so they didn't get caught in the 4 wheelers dust. Again the ride was fast until the hill. After working my way through the rocks I reached the bottom of the hill. I wasn't sure I could get back up that way to I walked up the creek and choose a route. I could ride in the creek to the big wash out if I needed too.

There was no way to get any speed built up to hit the hill and everything was so loose there was no way I was going to get traction. Plus there were some big rocks I would have to bounce over on the way up.:thinking: When my parents arrived I backed the bike up as far as I could then gave her hell. The first bunch of rocks I hit had a nice burn out on them as I tried getting some traction. But it was short lived and the dirt just spun me out and the bike and I and dust slid down the hill. Cussing cause I killed the bike I slid it back down the hill. My dad mentioned he could just winch me up and I said I thought I could make it. Again I backed up and got another run. This time I packed a wheelie over the first rocks and this worked fine except the next rocks launched me in the air. Detremined to make it I left her opened up and rocks, dust, sticks, and half the world launched from the back tire. We were gaining but loosing momentum fast. One last rock shelf at the top, I pined it trying to get that front tire to climb but I couldn't get enough traction to pull her over it. The ledge stopped the front tire hard. Damn 5' to go and I would have made it! At this point I bailed off the bike and tried working the clutch and tried getting something thing to grab to get over the top but nothing. My dad ran up the hill and helped get the front tire over and I gave her hell and carried a wheelie out to the top.

Now the 4 wheelers. Two 660 grizzly's my mom went first. Locking all 4 solid she hit the slope the rocks would launch the front and the 4 wheeler would jump and grab diggin and throwing rock a few times she packed the front but climbed out the top finally. Next my dad. Unloading the dog he then started up the hill. There was no way. The front lifted high into the air and just wouldn't come down. The box on the back was pulling him over to far. I dashed down the hill and stood on the front bumper and held onto the rack. Again up the hill we went the 4 wheeler still wanted to climb over backward but we were making progress. With the front tires rarely touching the ground she climbed and popped out the top. Thank god that was over. It was way too late in the evening to be messing with a spot like that.:rolleyes:

The rest the ride seemed simple after that spot. When we reached the top of the mountain we ran into our other riders. The kid had put his bike down in the same spot I had issues and lost control of the bike. Busting the radiator mounting brackets and the zip ties they used to get to the top had broke again. He said they were fine and back together.

I told them to get going and if they had problems we were behind them. They agreed and thanked us and took off. The sun was falling fast so everyone agreed to head for camp and not stop until we hit camp. I opened up the WR and headed out. We still had a good hour and a half but man it was getting cool fast. As soon as we dropped off the top we were in the shadows and it got really cold. My arms were getting chilled and my eyes were watering from the wind coming in my googles.

The WR250 hummed coming back in 5th and I only tried for 6th about 50 times.:lol: Man what was yamaha thinking going with a 5 speed. We arrived back at camp with plenty light left. As I fueled the machines for the next days ride my parents prepared, Steak, salad, and fried potatos for dinner. What and excellent ride. Pictures will be up tomorrow.:thumb:

This RR was loaded with GOOD STUFF but I had to focus on the part about not making it up the hill....How often has someone heard "I can winch you (your motorcycle) up"! ????? :lol:

Keep this stuff coming, it is great reading!

BTW...been meaning to say something about this...WHERE are their skid lids??? I'd hate to tumble over with one of those beasts into the rocks and have one land on my head or hit my head on a rock! :naughty:...shame on them and shame on you for not enfocing it! Beautiful pictures though.....:thumb:...:ride:!

BTW...been meaning to say something about this...WHERE are their skid lids??? I'd hate to tumble over with one of those beasts into the rocks and have one land on my head or hit my head on a rock! :naughty:...shame on them and shame on you for not enfocing it! Beautiful pictures though.....:thumb:...:ride:!

Well my mom refuses cause the weight of the helmet makes her neck hurt then she gets migraines. Not sure my dads excuse. I think they are usually pretty cautious. They have 4,000 miles on those 4 wheelers and I don't think they have ever wrecked one and they ride these crappy roads and trails all the time.

Well my mom refuses cause the weight of the helmet makes her neck hurt then she gets migraines. Not sure my dads excuse. I think they are usually pretty cautious. They have 4,000 miles on those 4 wheelers and I don't think they have ever wrecked one and they ride these crappy roads and trails all the time.

Accidents happen when you least expect it...I would urge them to wear at least a bycyle helmet which wuld help protect their melons somewhat from the rocks...

I told a blonde once that studies show accidents happen within .5 miles from home....so she moved! :smirk:

James

Staff member
Nice report, I have to agree with Rez on the "lids". :thumb: Unless you're looking to get your inheritance sooner. :noidea:

I told a blonde once that studies show accidents happen within .5 miles from home....so she moved! :smirk:
:lol::cry::lol:
I was actually laughing when I read this.