Agua Caliente - AZ

Hey all,
Just wanted to post a quick summary of the riding trip my son and I took yesterday to Agua Caliente in AZ.
I only took a few pics though.

I found this location while perusing RiderPlanet-USA, first one;
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/arizona_list.htm

This is 75 miles west and north from my location and was a nice 1-1/2 hour drive. Going north from Gila Bend on old AZ hwy 80 about 30 minutes we came to the Gillespie Dam, which the Salt River runs through. And actually, it looks like the river broke it because it is missing a huge chunk in the middle of it. You get a nice view of it when your crossing the little 2-lane bridge on the south side of it.
Gillespie Dam.JPG

Once you cross the bridge, you head north about 10 minutes and you then head west on Agua Caliente road, veer right to the staging area.
Down about a mile from where we parked the trail starts on the west/left side of the dirt road. We followed it back into the mountain range to the south and the west. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics while there; we we're busy riding and the bambino was only on his 2nd day with his new (to him) XR100 and was eager to keep moving, but I will say that the views we're amazing.
Zach2.JPG
While riding we came across some pretty gnarly hills for him, lots of shale rock slippery as hell, and a couple old abandoned mineshafts that we're closed off. We also went down a ravine and found a car that had either been stolen and taken for a joyride, then dumped, or caught in a flash flood, or both; probably both by the looks of it. It was a 2015 Dodge Dart.
Car.JPG
Zach Car.JPG
All in all it was a really awesome trip and ride, and I recommend it. Some parts of it scared my boy so we didn't go too far back into where some of where the really cools pics on the site above we're taken, but I plan to return and go farther into the mountain and check them out.
But since it's the hot desert and it was 97 yesterday and I didn't have a GPS, I was okay to let the desires of my kiddo to not go that far set the pace. But I will be purchasing some sort of tracking system for future endeavours and really enjoyed this ride.
Thanks to all here at DBA that contributed to the making of this event through technical knowledge and advice! My kid loved it and wants more.
We had a nice ride home together talking about his improving riding skills;
Ride Home.JPG
Afterwards on the way home in Gila Bend we went to lunch at a mom & pop Italian joint on the main strip called Little Italy's. They have awesome food every time I've been there, and was in and out for under $20.00.
Unfortunately I didn't Get a pic of the bambino while he was zonked out 30 minutes later, but I'm sure all you parents know exactly what that looks like, I call it winning :hifive:.

Last edited:
Hey all,
Just wanted to post a quick summary of the riding trip my son and I took yesterday to Agua Caliente in AZ.
I only took a few pics though.

I found this location while perusing RiderPlanet-USA, first one;
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/arizona_list.htm

This is 75 miles west and north from my location and was a nice 1-1/2 hour drive. Going north from Gila Bend on old AZ hwy 80 about 30 minutes we came to the Gillespie Dam, which the Salt River runs through. And actually, it looks like the river broke it because it is missing a huge chunk in the middle of it. You get a nice view of it when your crossing the little 2-lane bridge on the south side of it.
View attachment 29732

Once you cross the bridge, you head north about 10 minutes and you then head west on Agua Caliente road, veer right to the staging area.
Down about a mile from where we parked the trail starts on the west/left side of the dirt road. We followed it back into the mountain range to the south and the west. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics while there; we we're busy riding and the bambino was only on his 2nd day with his new (to him) XR100 and was eager to keep moving, but I will say that the views we're amazing.
View attachment 29733
While riding we came across some pretty gnarly hills for him, lots of shale rock slippery as hell, and a couple old abandoned mineshafts that we're closed off. We also went down a ravine and found a car that had either been stolen and taken for a joyride, then dumped, or caught in a flash flood, or both; probably both by the looks of it. It was a 2015 Dodge Dart.
View attachment 29734
View attachment 29735
All in all it was a really awesome trip and ride, and I recommend it. Some parts of it scared my boy so we didn't go too far back into where some of where the really cools pics on the site above we're taken, but I plan to return and go farther into the mountain and check them out.
But since it's the hot desert and it was 97 yesterday and I didn't have a GPS, I was okay to let the desires of my kiddo to not go that far set the pace. But I will be purchasing some sort of tracking system for future endeavours and really enjoyed this ride.
Thanks to all here at DBA that contributed to the making of this event through technical knowledge and advice! My kid loved it and wants more.
We had a nice ride home together talking about his improving riding skills;
View attachment 29736
Afterwards on the way home in Gila Bend we went to lunch at a mom & pop Italian joint on the main strip called Little Italy's. They have awesome food every time I've been there, and was in and out for under $20.00.
Unfortunately I didn't Get a pic of the bambino while he was zonked out 30 minutes later, but I'm sure all you parents know exactly what that looks like, I call it winning :hifive:.

Love that kids smile, that is where great memories are made. Your doing a great job there Dad.

Nice report, like others, it takes me back to the years when my boy and I were out doing the same thing, keep up the good job you are doing. :thumb:

Nice report, like others, it takes me back to the years when my boy and I were out doing the same thing, keep up the good job you are doing. :thumb:
Thanks!
I plan to return to this place soon, but with a GPS device.
It scares me to get too far off the beaten path around here, people routinely die from doing this, even in the winter. And I wont be another statistic.
But when I do I will take more pics; it's pretty cool back there.

Last edited:
Very cool. I remember when my youngest was that age... 13 years ago... I can't let him set the pace now, or I get left behind. Now my oldest boy, I can still keep him in check...