125 About to do Fork Seals for the first time. Have some questions.

So i need to the seals on my 2001 kx 125. I've watched a couple vids and have been told its not that hard to change the seals. But i don't have a service manual yet (i know, shame on me) but i need to get one as soon as funds allow. So since i dont have a manual i need to know how much oil to put in the forks, what weight (i'm guessing 5wt right?) and what tools i need. So far i need a forkcap wrench, seal bullet, a turkey baster, and i'm going to machine a seal driver. Any help tips would be appreciated!

those forks are cartridge forks.. you need a fork oil level tool. You don't need a seal bullet.. Just cut a zip lock bag on the corner to make a paramid type thing to go over the fork tube..
You also need seal grease.. Lets see here you need a vise with soft jaws and a seal driver.. 5wt is the standard weight used.. and as far as oil level goes I can't answer it.. I think the last set I did like yours was around 140mm? Shit I can't remember.. when I say 140mm is not the amount of oil put in but the level the oil is from the top of the leg..

When you start you need a pen and paper.. write down how many clicks it takes to open up the clickers or to bottom out doesn't matter but before dissesembly you don't want the clickers bottomed out but in the full open position. You may also find that seperating the leg from the tube impossible.. [make sure the retaining clip underneath the dustwiper is removed] You may need heat applied to them to get them to seperate.. New forks come apart with just a few slides of the tube.. I had a set of youth forks that I had to heat to get to seperate.. If you have a heat gun works the best but a torch will work but BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, they no more than just a means to extract a specific amount oil from the fork leg. You can buy that same thing for injecting meat marinade at any grocery store for way less than 20 bucks. Or like I used, a turkey baster.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_011W911626110001P?vName=For%20the%20Home&cName=Cookware&Gadgets&sName=Food%20Prep%20Tools&sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=26-50395037-2

You only need to know how much to extract. So measure and mark a piece of small rubber hose like auto vent line or fuel line insert the hose down into the fork to that mark and use the baster or injector to extract the oil. It is pretty simple. Now if and when I am to do forks again. About the only thing I think I would spend money on,,would be the seal driver. Those can steal be engineered out of stuff too but having that would have made the job allot easier.:thumb:

James

Staff member
Honestly, they no more than just a means to extract a specific amount oil from the fork leg. You can buy that same thing for injecting meat marinade at any grocery store for way less than 20 bucks. Or like I used, a turkey baster.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_011W911626110001P?vName=For%20the%20Home&cName=Cookware&Gadgets&sName=Food%20Prep%20Tools&sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=26-50395037-2

You only need to know how much to extract. So measure and mark a piece of small rubber hose like auto vent line or fuel line insert the hose down into the fork to that mark and use the baster or injector to extract the oil. It is pretty simple. Now if and when I am to do forks again. About the only thing I think I would spend money on,,would be the seal driver. Those can steal be engineered out of stuff too but having that would have made the job allot easier.:thumb:
Can't really tell by those pictures, but mine has measurements on the "needle" part. So all you have to do is move the ring to the right spot on the needle and pull the syringe until no more oil comes out. Simple and effective.

Turkey baster will work to. :thumb:

Can't really tell by those pictures, but mine has measurements on the "needle" part. So all you have to do is move the ring to the right spot on the needle and pull the syringe until no more oil comes out. Simple and effective.

Turkey baster will work to. :thumb:

Oh, I know:thumb: I have seen them in bike shops. I was only saying that once you measure a small rubber hose it serves as the same pourpose as the needle part and you keep it in your tool kit for next time. How many bikes do you have to change the forks seals on? No need for multi change measurement tool for one bike. Save 15 to 20 bucks and buy some of your oil. Bel-ray at my shop was 13 bucks for one quart of 7wt. I agree tho if you have the spare money laying around buy the proper tools. Unfortuatly I am not one of those people. :cry:

James

Staff member
Oh, I know:thumb: I have seen them in bike shops. I was only saying that once you measure a small rubber hose it serves as the same pourpose as the needle part and you keep it in your tool kit for next time. How many bikes do you have to change the forks seals on? No need for multi change measurement tool for one bike. Save 15 to 20 bucks and buy some of your oil. Bel-ray at my shop was 13 bucks for one quart of 7wt. I agree tho if you have the spare money laying around buy the proper tools. Unfortuatly I am not one of those people. :cry:
:facepalm: I usually end up doing that no matter the money. :lol: :bonk:

True you probably aren't changing many fork seals, however it's nice to have when you need to adjust your oil level when dialing in your suspension.