250 99 KX250 Dies When Shift Into Gear

Bike runs great while in neutral, when I shift to first it dies if I do not give it gas to keep it alive. I messed with idle and that did not help anything. Does any one have a idea?

Attachments

• 0706191728_HDR.jpg
    0706191728_HDR.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 10
Bike runs great while in neutral, when I shift to first it dies if I do not give it gas to keep it alive. I messed with idle and that did not help anything. Does any one have a idea?

I had a 99 kx250. Adjust the clutch cable so you have the minimum play. You may need to adjust the air screw while adjusting the idle. If you move the air screw more than 2.5 turns out and there is no change in the idle then you will need a leaner pilot jet.

Thank You, When I bought it the tube leaking air so I had a very quick test ride and no time to mess with adjustments. My tube will be delivered tomorrow while I am work, so hopefully I can get it installed tomorrow evening and give it a good ride.
I had a 99 kx250. Adjust the clutch cable so you have the minimum play. You may need to adjust the air screw while adjusting the idle. If you move the air screw more than 2.5 turns out and there is no change in the idle then you will need a leaner pilot jet.

Clutch cable probably needs adjustment. -BIG DAN:thumb:

So how does this look for the adjustment in the handle, I have yet to start due to still not having the tube for the tire, so I can not see if it helps or not. But generally this is about how it should be right?

Attachments

• ClutchAdjust.jpg
    ClutchAdjust.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 11
It looks like it’s assembled right. It’s hard to tell just by looking if it’s adjusted correctly. The adjuster wheel does look like it’s all the way in, though. That would give the maximum amount of slack and probably cause the problem you’re having.

Thanks for the help everyone, I got it running half way decent. But O was discussing with my dad about the trans fluid, is AmsOil ok to use? Also it is a 2 stroke, if there is oil in the trans what is the purpose of putting it in the gas, I know that may seem dumb but this is my first two stroke

SRAD97750

Staff member
Good observation.
The crankshaft and transmission are separate in a 2T engine.
The transmission sits in a bath of oil, or a 'Wet Sump.'

The crankshaft is lubricated by the fuel/oil/air mixture as it passes through the reeds and pumped to the cylinder ports.
This is a "Dry Sump" style of lubrication, where the oil is stored somewhere else.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

slide_5.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone, I got it running half way decent. But O was discussing with my dad about the trans fluid, is AmsOil ok to use? Also it is a 2 stroke, if there is oil in the trans what is the purpose of putting it in the gas, I know that may seem dumb but this is my first two stroke

Save your money. Rotella 15w40 is fine.
Dan pretty much hit the nail on the head with his 2T diagram.