250 99 250KX Carb Rebuilding, Screws Stuck

So I took apart my bike for standard maintenance today and have a couple questions as this is the first time I am doing this.

#1 Is this a good spark plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5M2MW/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER ? This is a direct replacement for the one that was in it. If not what is a good one?

#2 There is two screws holding the the cap that has the throttle cable running through it, the screws are tight AF and it rounded off two of my Allan keys. Any tips on removing these without stripping the screw or my tools? (See Pic)

Attachments

• 1112191442_HDR.jpg
    1112191442_HDR.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 10
Use a set of long nose vice grips if you can get a GOOD grip of them,
Make sure there's an Allen key in it before you squeeze it!!! once out replace! Failing that you could gently drive a slightly oversized impact rated Torx bit in and hopefully turn it out with that!?!

Last edited:
Cut a slot with a hacksaw and use a screwdriver. DUN
That would work, my plan was to take just the carb to my buddy's house and clean it up in his boat workshop. But I am just going to take the whole bike over because he has tools meant for this type of work. But if we cant get it, I will probably do this.

I HAVE A KAWASAKI KX 250 THE BIKE SAT FOR A FEW YEARS, TOOK THE BOWL OFF AND CLEANED IT. MADE SURE THROTTLE WORKED FINE, PUT THE CHOKE ON, IT STARTED ON THE SECOND KICK AND IT WAS LIKE THE TROTTLE WAS WIDE OPEN WHICH IT WAS NOT OPENED AT ALL, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT IT MIGHT BE?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Most likely the throttle slide isn't seated all the way in the carburetor body. Could be cable adjustment or cable routing holding the throttle open slightly. Could be the slide installed backwards?
A new issue can usually be traced to what you just did. good luck!
- BIG DAN:thumb:

And, if it's not related to something you just did, 2 strokes will do that if you have an air leak around the manifold or a bad base gasket. You said it sat up, you may want to check the manifold for cracks and that it's sealing well around the carb.