RM125 97 rm 125

I have a 97 Rm 125 10 hours on top end just cleaned carb and new plug and cleaned air filter every one has told me 1 1/2 turns for the air screw but at that my bike just floods out and anything below 2 3/4 it has no jam all seals were done with top end anyone have any ideas why it would need so much air

SRAD97750

Staff member
IF THE CARB IS CLEAN...
and you are at the end of adjustment on the idle mix screw, then the pilot jet needs adjusting.
If you need the air screw out almost 3 turns then you need a smaller pilot jet to lean the mixture. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yeah, The optimal setting is 1.5-2.5 turns from gently seated.
If you are outside of that by alot, it's worth putting the right jet in instead of just putting a band-aid on the issue(screwing it farther).

It's not hurting anything to have your needle set one way or the other. But if you were to change elevation or temperature and needed more adjustment, you may run out! -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Sounds good so far, You can drop to a 45 idle jet and it'll bring your air screw adjustment under 2 turns from seated. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Changing the clip on the needle will change the 1/4-3/4 throttle.
But the idle speed adjustment will do nothing but lower your idle.
I think the pilot jet is the culprit. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks even thou they r the stock jets gess they ware over time just went over my reed valves real well and noticed one has a little fray on one corner would that effect it to

SRAD97750

Staff member
Thanks even thou they r the stock jets gess they ware over time just went over my reed valves real well and noticed one has a little fray on one corner would that effect it to

Carburetors are wear parts... If you replace the idle jet, i'd replace the main jet as well just make sure both jets are accurate. So, get a 45 pilot (one size smaller than stock), and whatever stock was for the main.
I don't think minimal fraying is an issue. As long as the tips of the reeds rest on the cage. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Hold the reeds up to a light, and look through the back side. If you see light through them, replace them. Sometimes you can take them off and flip them... But if they look frayed, i'd replace them. If they start chipping the piston is going to lunch them.