2 Stroke 97 CR250

I found a 97 CR250 that I may be purchasing this weekend but the left side case is cracked. I was looking online and found a few for cheap but I was wondering I there is anything else I need to look at when I go see the bike.

It has new wheels, tires, brakes, and front forks.

I found a 97 CR250 that I may be purchasing this weekend but the left side case is cracked. I was looking online and found a few for cheap but I was wondering I there is anything else I need to look at when I go see the bike.

It has new wheels, tires, brakes, and front forks.
That is the least desirable model of cr250r in the last 20 years because of the 1st gen aluminum frame.

My first question would be; how did the case get cracked? Then look over the rest of the bike with a fine tooth comb. Check the linkage, wheel, Swing arm and head end bearings for any play. Look at the forks for leaks. Ride it and go through all the gears, lugging each one to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear. Also, make sure the clutch is smooth. Check the air filter and the filter box. If they are dirty that is usually an indication of how they took care of it. Ask for receipts of any said work done. Check the Vin number and research how to tell what year a bike is by its number. Usually the 10th number is the year of the bike. Ask for papers to make sure it’s not hot. My rule of thumb is, unless it is a super great deal, look around and see what else it out there. Go look at as many as you can and you can get a better feel for what you're lookin at.

Oh and good luck. :thumb:

The 1st gens are "supposed" to have issues with the frames stress cracking. Normally i would say don't worry about it but if they hit something hard enough to crack a case i would look over the frame REALLY close before i bought it

I ended up buying the bike and it needs a few things, most of which I've already ordered, main thing I need is a new right side case.