Other 94 XR650L Problem

Hi everyone,

I have a 94 XR650L that I just recently bought not running right.

Symptoms:
Bike runs decent with the choke completely on, but after I have the bike at wide open throttle and letting off it pops out the exhaust.

If I let the bike warm up while the choke is on and then I turn off the choke, the bike will idle fine. At this point if I try to turn the throttle it will react in a very bad way (Popping out of the intake air filter and some times killing the bike).

What I've done:
I have cleaned the carb 2 times already and there was some varnish in the pilot jet that I cleaned out using a small copper wire. I also tried to clean all the passages the best that I could with the copper wire.

I am running the stock jets, a 152 main jet and a 50s pilot jet. I've also been trying to tune it up using the air mixture screw but with little success.

Any thoughts on what i could do to fix this?

I was thinking I might boil the carb in vinegar to see if I could clear up the passages a little better.

Thanks,

Akamph

Check for cracks in the carb intake boot

Ok, thanks 2Wheels, I will do this and update on if I find anything.

That also make me think that I didn't tighten the boot tight enough around the carb.
The way it is now it can be moved around even though its kind of tight.
I just didn't want to tighten it too hard when I was reinstalling the carb last time.

SRAD97750

Staff member
If I let the bike warm up while the choke is on and then I turn off the choke, the bike will idle fine.
Sounds as if your idle and choke circuit are working fine.
At this point if I try to turn the throttle it will react in a very bad way (Popping out of the intake air filter and some times killing the bike).
Seem either a needle adjustment may help or perhaps the valves are out of spec.
Start by cleaning the carburetor again, setting the float, and checking the needle clip setting. I would go a setting richer, just to try it.

Valve specs and adjustment are pretty straightforward in the manual. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Sounds as if your idle and choke circuit are working fine.

Seem either a needle adjustment may help or perhaps the valves are out of spec.
Start by cleaning the carburetor again, setting the float, and checking the needle clip setting. I would go a setting richer, just to try it.

Valve specs and adjustment are pretty straightforward in the manual. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Ok thanks, I'll try that tomorrow and update on what I find.

Check for cracks in the carb intake boot
I checked the boot and it looks fine.
I'm gonna check what Dan suggested and see what I can find.
Thanks for your input though.

I found out what the problem was. Valves were in spec.
After cleaning the carb cleaning I just lifted the main jet needle using some spacers and now it runs like a beast!
Too fast actually. I lost control and crashed.. broke my tibia and fibula and dislocated my elbow..
That's why it took so long for me to update..
Respect the speed guys, in a moment you could be gone..
Doing better now though

I found out what the problem was. Valves were in spec.
After cleaning the carb cleaning I just lifted the main jet needle using some spacers and now it runs like a beast!
Too fast actually. I lost control and crashed.. broke my tibia and fibula and dislocated my elbow..
That's why it took so long for me to update..
Respect the speed guys, in a moment you could be gone..
Doing better now though

Glad you fixed the bike, bummer you got busted up. I try to ride at a maximum of 80% of my potential, so I always have that 20% in my pocket if I need it.works pretty well, unless I need 30% but whatever......it’s better than sitting on the couch.