125 89 kx 125 coolant oil mix disaster

I have the cylinder gutted at the moment so the magnet idea can be done. However, I was told it was nickeled already and needed to be replaced and also recommended to use powerseal USA for the job.

Oddly enough while searching for a piston kit on ebay I was sourced back to a local shop that originally did the work on the bike ages ago that has engraved their name in this head. I noticed them by the seller. Anyhow I took it over to them to talk and they recommended it be renickled by powerseal usa. They no longer do work, just sell parts.

I don't know where your seeing single ringed pistons for this bike. But my manual and searches all show two rings as well as the local knowledge I discovered the past couple days.

My question now being that it needs replated, is there an alternative cylinder off another bike? I'm unsuccessful in finding year specific and have become more interested in finding what is compatible . Before I set in stone the thing needs replated.

I have the cylinder gutted at the moment so the magnet idea can be done. However, I was told it was nickeled already and needed to be replaced and also recommended to use powerseal USA for the job.

Oddly enough while searching for a piston kit on ebay I was sourced back to a local shop that originally did the work on the bike ages ago that has engraved their name in this head. I noticed them by the seller. Anyhow I took it over to them to talk and they recommended it be renickled by powerseal usa. They no longer do work, just sell parts.

I don't know where your seeing single ringed pistons for this bike. But my manual and searches all show two rings as well as the local knowledge I discovered the past couple days.

My question now being that it needs replated, is there an alternative cylinder off another bike? I'm unsuccessful in finding year specific and have become more interested in finding what is compatible . Before I set in stone the thing needs replated.

Just send it to powerseal. For $200 it will be replated to stock bore. If there is cylinder repair needed they will fix that too.
A used cylinder will cost around 200 and there's no garuntee it will be in usable condition.

SRAD97750

Staff member
My question now being that it needs replated, is there an alternative cylinder off another bike? I'm unsuccessful in finding year specific and have become more interested in finding what is compatible.
I know the answer to this one! -BIG DAN:wiggle:

Okay sent the jug out to be replated with powerseal note that i have 4 weeks. I'd like to get the bottom end done. Any suggestions on where to get a kit. I have seen a full gasket seal kit but no bearings rod or crank.

Okay sent the jug out to be replated with powerseal note that i have 4 weeks. I'd like to get the bottom end done. Any suggestions on where to get a kit. I have seen a full gasket seal kit but no bearings rod or crank.

I think this has come up before, and crank kits were found to be not available for this bike. Check out Crank Works, I've not used them but have heard good things about them. Just call them for details and ship them you're part and they should be able to fix you up.

Ran me 233$ to balance and redo crank seals gaskets bearings rod the whole shebang. Took it to a local"shop " for advice and was offered to do the work.

When i got the bike it had p/r racing engraved on the jug. As i searched eBay for parts the piston kit i found was of a seller p/r racing with a local number. I called them up for advice and pointers since im new to all of this. they offered to check out the bottom end when i got it off to tell me if i had to rebuild. i was told they don't work on things anymore. Long story short a local 30 year business who strictly sells parts now offered to do the work and bring it back to life.

Promised to be done around the 4th of july same time as the jug . Now i can prep everything else on the bike for the next few weeks outside of all this overtime I've been doing top fund my new toy lol!