85cc Smoker - Quick Question

Well coming off a crf100 i have a question. I'm upgrading to a KX85 or CR85 in a few months. I'm 5'4 140lbs and my crotch height is 32". I was looking into getting a KX85 for my next bike for two reasons, it is 33" seat height is good and it should be fast if it lives up to its rep. I sat on one down at the dealership and I found the rear suspension to be extremely bouncy but i can adjust it stiffer, correct?
I'm also planning on a rare trip to the track and mostly trail riding, is it reliable and can it haul me around fast enough once it's on the pipe? My brother has a 2007 CRF150R and i can barely tippy toe it but I don't want a 4 stroke. Now the reason i want Kawisaki is because the CR will be impossible to find OEM parts for so im staying away from that, Ill sum up my questions.

1. Is this bike a good heigh for me?, i can stay AAAALMOST flat feet
2. Will it have enough power?
3. Will there be a big power difference comign off a 100cc 4 stroke trail bike? thanks

Honda

Well coming off a crf100 i have a question. I'm upgrading to a KX85 or CR85 in a few months. I'm 5'4 140lbs and my crotch height is 32". I was looking into getting a KX85 for my next bike for two reasons, it is 33" seat height is good and it should be fast if it lives up to its rep. I sat on one down at the dealership and I found the rear suspension to be extremely bouncy but i can adjust it stiffer, correct?
I'm also planning on a rare trip to the track and mostly trail riding, is it reliable and can it haul me around fast enough once it's on the pipe? My brother has a 2007 CRF150R and i can barely tippy toe it but I don't want a 4 stroke. Now the reason i want Kawisaki is because the CR will be impossible to find OEM parts for so im staying away from that, Ill sum up my questions.

3. Will there be a big power difference comign off a 100cc 4 stroke trail bike? thanks

Honda

Get a bigger bike. Here is my youngest son on his new KTM 85 XC. He can't touch the ground. :lol:

DSCN3474.JPG

Honda - if you are considering the 85, at least make sure that it's the bigwheel version and even that may be too small for you. There will be a boatload of difference in the power b/t the 85 and your 100. The 85 hauls arse! My son's 85 has been dead reliable.

(PS - nice looking Casa Rack :thumb:)

James

Staff member
Like Edge said, get the big wheel if you do go with a KX85. I'm thinking my inseam (crotch height) is also around 32" and I ride a KX250f. Sure I can't stand flat footed but that isn't as big of a deal as you might think. If you're comfortable with it I'd go with a KX100 until you can get a "big bike".

Yes the suspension settings can be changed pretty easily. When you say "bouncy" do you mean soft, as in it just sinks when you sit on it? If so check your rear sag and if you can't get it to work, you'll probably need a stiffer rear spring. It's around a $100 new, but you can probably find a used one.

Honda - if you are considering the 85, at least make sure that it's the bigwheel version and even that may be too small for you. There will be a boatload of difference in the power b/t the 85 and your 100. The 85 hauls arse! My son's 85 has been dead reliable.

(PS - nice looking Casa Rack :thumb:)

That's my neighbors place.

Honda

You can always stiffen up the rear suspension with a click of a turn.

Get a big wheel cr85. Id say that would be a good size for you.

The power difference is like night and day compared to a crf100.

Will it have enough power? For what? If you want power, get a cr125, or better yet, a cr250 :thumb:

James i just pushed on the seat with my hand and it sunk in. Riding honda for 7 years but i dont want to get a CR because honda doesn't manufacture them anymore so parts may be a trouble. KX100? I'll check out some of those. BN a cr250 is a monster i saw one at the store and the seat was much too high.

James

Staff member
James i just pushed on the seat with my hand and it sunk in.
It should do that to a certain extent, but at 140 lbs you're probably going to need a stiffer spring. However I'd start by first making sure that your sag is set correctly and also mess with your clickers a little, but if it still feels to "soft" get the new spring. :thumb:

Nothing is to high if you can get at least one foot on the ground. :lol:

First of all you should be more concerned about how you fit on the bike not how your feet fit on the ground. It is all about ergonomics. You don't want to be cramped up on the bike when riding it. It makes it allot more dangerous to ride a bike that you can't move around on correctly. 99% of you time spent on the bike will be with feet on pegs not the ground. Second if you are trail riding allot I would defiantly go with the KX or the RM as both have a power valve and allot smoother HIT. Most importantly replace the top end as soon as you buy it.

thanks Jackson. Yeah the one with the gfx kit is CDN dollars and from my local retailer/ i might get a kx100, but i need to find one first. The 85 with 'DUFOUR' gfx kit is the one with bouncy suspension. But i also wasnt too cramped up on the bike, felt alot better than my 100 and i wasn't hunched over at all. Stupid triangle stand came out on me and on the way down it was like picking up a mountain bike, very, very light i liked that feeling. Another thing i like about it is the squared off front fender, gives it a better feel when you look down the bars

James

Staff member
The other thing you have to ask yourself is how long do you plan on keeping this bike? It sounds like you're pretty young and still growing, so you might outgrow the 85 before you can get a newer/bigger bike.

dont even mess with the little 85s and 100s i came of of a crf80 and got an rm85 a big power difference but it got old quick, go for a 125 and an 85 or 100 will be to small im 5'4" and have a 28-29" inseam and i can get on a bike witha 36 inch seat with no problem a 125 two stroke is around 37-39" get the biggest bike you can ride so you dont have to buy a new bike every couple of years.:thumb: