7/22/10 Barona Oaks ... All Jumps

Another week out at the track. This week the things i had in mind to work on were all the suggestions given to me from last weeks report. :thumb: thanks all. I also wanted to clear the in field Big Hit this week as well as get 1 lap where i hit every jump. The things i was working on are ... NO MORE 4 finger pulls. I had it set in my mind to use 2 or 1 finger.. i felt more comfortable pulling with 1 finger so i tried to do that for the most part. The other suggestion was Leg forward NOT out. Im not too sure how well i executed that but it was on my mind and i felt i did do it forward a LOT more this week.

I find it kind of funny that at this point i feel way more comfortable doing jumps over cornering. I am still slow in the corners but i do feel like its getting better.

As always any thing that you guys see that i should work on PLEASE let me know... its all been working out so far and i AM getting better and better.

Now on to the vids... the first vid is me doing every jump in 1 lap.. one of my goals i set out to do but i was a little short on the in field big hit. The second vid is me clearing the big hit smoothly.. another goal i had set out to do since my case last week but failed to hit every jump. The third vid is WHAT NOT TO DO!!!! me and my nuts learned a valuable lesson at the end of the day... when you go for something COMMIT TO IT. i got a little squirrly and let off the gas which made me go nose down and VERY VERY short.

as always the vids are MUCH better in 720p so if you can watch it in those.

Your looking much better:thumb:. Some advice would be to try and take the inside lines. Also pull your clutch in the corners when you need to brake hard while still reving. Then drop it and you will pull hard out of the corners.

:clap:Nice vids! You look smooth! But Im not a track girl so what do I know? I know I want a GoPro wide angle!!! That track looks empty and a great place to practice, you gotta love that:thumb: The last jump (video) did look :shocked:a little painful, sounded painful too!

Your looking much better:thumb:. Some advice would be to try and take the inside lines. Also pull your clutch in the corners when you need to brake hard while still reving. Then drop it and you will pull hard out of the corners.

:thumb: i was thinking about that when i watched the vid... i NEVER take the inside lines... definitly gonna try a few next week.
:clap:Nice vids! You look smooth! But Im not a track girl so what do I know? I know I want a GoPro wide angle!!! That track looks empty and a great place to practice, you gotta love that:thumb: The last jump (video) did look :shocked:a little painful, sounded painful too!
Id say for anyone who wanted to learn this place is a great place to do so. Not only is every jump pretty forgiving but its got plenty for an experienced rider as well. Lots of superstars ride there... so far ive seen Tommy Clowers a few weeks back and Marty Smith was there today... Thats just the ones that i noticed... prolly been more i jsut didnt know who they were.

Sweet Vids Travace! You are going to be a hard man to catch soon.:thumb: I'd roost you, but I haven't spread enough love around I guess....:blah:

Sweet Vids Travace! You are going to be a hard man to catch soon.:thumb: I'd roost you, but I haven't spread enough love around I guess....:blah:

all the advice here is like riding with people better then me. I do always talk to people at the track as well.. especially the guys who are fast cause whatever it is that you ride weither it be bikes, skateboards,snowboards or scooters for dub when you ride with people who are better then you, you will get better.

James

Staff member
:thumb: Looking better & faster, still not sure what's up with your clutch, you might have to take some up close pictures.

When you came up short ::shocked:, I second guessed my self once, never again. I missed a shift as I was coming out of a corner and let off for a split second as I thought I wouldn't make the double. Guess what, I didn't make the double. :mmph: And this was one where coming up short wasn't an option, as the face was verticle. So I over the bars I go :fly: If I hadn't hesitated I would've been fine. :bonk:
i NEVER take the inside lines... definitly gonna try a few next week.
I've got a video for you on this subject. A buddy of mine never took inside lines, so one morning that's all we did. I'd put a cone in the corner and tell him that he has to be below it, he did some muttering under his breath. :smirk:
scooters for dub
:lol: Way to throw that in there. :thumb:

:thumb: Looking better & faster, still not sure what's up with your clutch, you might have to take some up close pictures.

When you came up short ::shocked:, I second guessed my self once, never again. I missed a shift as I was coming out of a corner and let off for a split second as I thought I wouldn't make the double. Guess what, I didn't make the double. :mmph: And this was one where coming up short wasn't an option, as the face was verticle. So I over the bars I go :fly: If I hadn't hesitated I would've been fine. :bonk:

I've got a video for you on this subject. A buddy of mine never took inside lines, so one morning that's all we did. I'd put a cone in the corner and tell him that he has to be below it, he did some muttering under his breath. :smirk:

:lol: Way to throw that in there. :thumb:

yea it still seems really far out huh? and it just slightly hits my knuckles still. I guess its time for a thread with pics like we talked about.

and for sure.. no more second guessing myself. Even if i came up short while gasing its still not as bad as the one were i let off the gas cause at least i got over that little hump thing.

Notice the foot James? looking better ?

all the advice here is like riding with people better then me. I do always talk to people at the track as well.. especially the guys who are fast cause whatever it is that you ride weither it be bikes, skateboards,snowboards or scooters for dub when you ride with people who are better then you, you will get better.

:thinking: Not sure whether I should :thumb: or :foul: for that one...

On a serious note (or at least how serious we can get in DBA), I agree with James. When I watch your vids, I just think "Man, he'd be so much faster if he cut to the inside more." You don't have to completely commit to all the ruts on the inside at first, but even picking the flat middle line and kind of flat-tracking it will build up a lot more cornering confidence than teetering over the edge of those berms just putting along will. Then once you get good at that, you can power through those inside ruts :thumb:

Just try some new stuff I guess. I forget who said it, but I heard a quote once that said "Insanity is trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results" or something along those lines. So don't be a crazy.

im gonna try em just to try em cause i always like doing new things.

as far as fast and racing i could give two shits. Right now my main concern is being smoother, being able to stay out on the track longer and just building overall dirtbike skills.

im gonna try em just to try em cause i always like doing new things.

as far as fast and racing i could give two shits. Right now my main concern is being smoother, being able to stay out on the track longer and just building overall dirtbike skills.

lol same here dude, I'm just trying to get better and I don't race or anything. It's just nice when things suddenly click and you start taking new lines and getting faster. Going faster is more fun until you pull a James :cripple:

James

Staff member
Notice the foot James? looking better ?
Can't really see body position in helmet camera videos, do you think that your wife would go with you again to record you.
:thumb: Being faster in corners will help with that. Why? The more momentum you carry through corners the easier it will become to clear the jumps, remember the "nutcracker"? :smirk: Plus like I've said before, railing a good berm is more fun then jumps. IMO
Going faster is more fun until you pull a James :cripple:
:mmph:

:lol: