2T or 4T?

Right now, I'm completely undecided on which bike to get. My dad says I have a choice between an RMZ 250f thumper, and an RM 125.:thinking: What do you guys think?
-HollywoodKid

James

Staff member
Right now, I'm completely undecided on which bike to get. My dad says I have a choice between an RMZ 250f thumper, and an RM 125.:thinking: What do you guys think?
-HollywoodKid
I personally like the 4t's, however about the only to know which you like better is by riding both.

Edit: You sure you heard your old man right? I don't think he has any 4 stroke blood in him. :smirk:

i guess its what you prefer, and your riding style. if you want a light bike that turns real well go for the 125, if you want a heavier bike with more low end power then get a 250F

of course i dont have much knowledge on the subject becuase i have only riden 3 dirt bikes (bikes were 04 CRF80, 04 RM85, and i rode my friends 05 YZ85) so i have no experiance with either bike

I personally like the 4t's, however about the only to know which you like better is by riding both.

Edit: You sure you heard your old man right? I don't think he has any 4 stroke blood in him. :smirk:

He heard me correctly.... Its his nickel so its his choice... I'm hoping 2T but if he's gonna run like he says he is then he should go 4T... :picard:

Well I guess what are you use to? I have always rode a 4 stroke but find myself loving the two stroke. Now with that said I also listen to the dang bike and I'm not lazy. I like to shift so I found I like keeping that power band right there all the time. Now with my 4 stroke I can get lazy cause it has the torque when ever I ask for it. So far I have only got to play on a 100 2 stroke but I tell you what it really has me thinking about getting another bike. But I have found one think the 2 stroke sucks at in my opinion. Going up and down hills. Going up your constantly on the clutch working it as you work through stuff. Where the 4 stroke you can lug it and the power is there the second you want it. Then going down hill the 4 stroke is so nice to just let the compression do the work. The 2 strokers are all over the brakes. haha So I guess its 6 of one half dozen of the other. The 2 strokes are sweet to start compared to a 4 stroke. That is another plus. Heck my little girl can start the 100 without even really kicking it.

But I have found one think the 2 stroke sucks at in my opinion. Going up and down hills. Going up your constantly on the clutch working it as you work through stuff. Where the 4 stroke you can lug it and the power is there the second you want it. Then going down hill the 4 stroke is so nice to just let the compression do the work. The 2 strokers are all over the brakes.

Yes and No. Going up isnt that big of a deal. You just have to get to know your 2T machine and know what gear and how much momentum to carry up a hill. However Im not denying the clutch fanning process especially if youve lost your momentum. But even the mighty 4T has that problem especially if your not familiar with bike. Now on the downhill there is no question in my mind that the 4T bike is much better at going down a hill at slow speeds, because of the compression advantage.

So back to the original question. 2T or 4T. Both are great machines, I have ridden both and they have there own little quirks and faults. But I am more familiar the 250 2T. So this is my statement to you. I say you should go with what your most familiar with. Of course that isnt really going to apply here that much as your going to a larger bike from the 85 2T to a 125 or a 250F. Either way your going to have to learn the bike and what your capable of making it do. So it really doesnt matter what choice you make. Your pretty much starting at zero on your learning curve.

wait how tall is hollywood again, shouldnt he be goin for a 250 2 stroke?

Let him progress slowly. I know its all about throttle control, but I think going from an 85cc bike to a 250 bike is a bit much. But I dont know what his riding skill is either. However if his father thought it was a good idea he would make it happen.

Let him progress slowly. I know its all about throttle control, but I think going from an 85cc bike to a 250 bike is a bit much. But I dont know what his riding skill is either. However if his father thought it was a good idea he would make it happen.

I actually let him ride my RM on Saturday... He's willing to run the KX250 too.... :smirk: That motors built tho....