RM-Z250 2015 RMZ 250 won't start

• Hi guys,

(Background) brand new bike, only rider. Has 8 or less hours. Bike wouldn't start one day after riding it so I took it into the shop(dealer). They took a look and figured it was a CDI problem. After replacing it, it ran so I took it home to use it.

I took it for a drive and it died on me after slowing down for a turn(easy trail driving). So I tried to start it again and it started, but same thing happened next turn. This time it wouldn't start at all. Took it back to the shop and the mechanic was out for two weeks.

so when he gets back he tries to start it and it fired up. So I went there took it for a ride and did a couple laps hit the kill switch and tried to start it again, but took 20 mins of kicking it to get it running, but just sitting there idling for a minute it shut off again. Now it won't start at all.

Can anyone help? Where do I start? I don't want to take it back to them, because they don't seem to know what to do with a dirt bike.

Thanks

Wow that sucks for ya. We have a dealer like that near me also. When it died while idling and wouldnt restart what the mech say? Did you load it up and leave? I wouldn't have thats for sure. Being new we can probably rule out the usual culprits so it's got to be a defective part. Kill button sticking or shorted I don't know.. The EFI bikes have so many elect do dads I'm at a loss there. And unfortunately for me I just got one so I hope it never fails. Good luck with the issue and whoop that dealer until he makes it right!

Wow that sucks for ya. We have a dealer like that near me also. When it died while idling and wouldnt restart what the mech say? Did you load it up and leave? I wouldn't have thats for sure. Being new we can probably rule out the usual culprits so it's got to be a defective part. Kill button sticking or shorted I don't know.. The EFI bikes have so many elect do dads I'm at a loss there. And unfortunately for me I just got one so I hope it never fails. Good luck with the issue and whoop that dealer until he makes it right!

I just loaded her up and fucked off. Don't feel like giving them anymore money. Lol.

Oh $ k figured it was a warranty deal. I've never bought new so i assumed.
I guess I'd say check for spark first and foremost. Try pull starting it?

Well, as I understand battery-less EFI uses the Kick to not only generate spark but a charge to pulse the injector. dragging the motor over would send a more consistent energy.
Actually thts just a hunch, some smarty pants here should smite me if I'm off base, but at least if it doesn't start while pulling it you know not to bother kicking anymore :)
Google turn up any other similar issues with the new zooks?

Well, as I understand battery-less EFI uses the Kick to not only generate spark but a charge to pulse the injector. dragging the motor over would send a more consistent energy.
Actually thts just a hunch, some smarty pants here should smite me if I'm off base, but at least if it doesn't start while pulling it you know not to bother kicking anymore :)
Google turn up any other similar issues with the new zooks?

Ok. I'll have to give it a go. I couldn't find anything on Google about the problem. I did hear the CDI's have been giving people grief though. And that's no cheap box.

If there's no spark them don't bother dragging it. If you're getting spark, Just pull it along slowly in 2nd gear and give a listen. Good luck.

Just a thought here but it doesn't sound like it has been determined if it's spark or fuel it's not getting. Spark is easy to check for.
If it has spark maybe shoot some carb cleaner into the air box and see if it pops. That might help narrow it down.
Also, is it possible that there is a relay that controls both? A schematic would be nice.
All this is assuming that the mechanicals are good, and they should be if its new, but we know where assuming gets us too...

And welcome to DBA!

Have the same problem with my RMZ-250 2015. I checked faults with diagnostic obd tool, but found nothing. When I ride more than 10min it cut off and I can't start it until it cools down. I replaced fuel pump, spark plug, checked valve gap. Need help, guys!!!!

Hey man, kak news for sure, sorry about that misfortune. I have recently been doing a RM250 rebuild which isn't the same thing but spark and was a problem and we had to fault find ALL the electronics some things I noticed that might be worth checking:
1. Disconnect Kill switch to see if that solves it.
2. Test the coil for current, takes a few minutes and is quite simple
3. The stator was totally stuffed on mine and from no specific event from when it did to didn't start, pic below of the condition. You can recon these with a good auto electrician or buy a new one, I recon'd mine.
4. CDI is worst case scenario but they typically don't go, check that last.
5. We ran every cable from start to finish and found some worn areas which were patched up or replaced.

Hope running through that helps, can't check much more than that list hey....

stator.jpeg

Have the same problem with my RMZ-250 2015. I checked faults with diagnostic obd tool, but found nothing. When I ride more than 10min it cut off and I can't start it until it cools down. I replaced fuel pump, spark plug, checked valve gap. Need help, guys!!!!
I've got the stator back and this is what it looks like now, goes in today so hopefully my no spark woes are over. Hope this helped.
Stator repaired.jpeg

I get one interesting problem. First I tune voltage on throttle position sensor. It should be 0.68-0.72v at idle. When I open throttle several times and get it back voltage becomes more or less than normal. After that engine makes pops&bangs or even shut off and I can't start it. I'm sure that there is a problem with gas handle. Look at the part number. Suzuki updated position 1 and position 2 on the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_141145.jpg
    IMG_20200609_141145.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 18