Pro 2013 AMA National Hare & Hound Series

Kurt Caselli Takes Charge At Cherry Creek National

Kurt Caselli took charge at the Cherry Creek Hare & Hound. Photography by Mark Kariya
For the second time this season, FMF/KTM Factory Off-Road Racing Team teammates Kurt Caselli and Ivan Ramirez finished 1-2 in a round of the AMA Racing/FMF/GPR Hare & Hound National Championship Series. The latest Caselli-Ramirez romp came at round five, the Sugarloafers Motorcycle Club's 53rd Annual Cherry Creek National at the Little Sahara Recreation Area near Jericho, Utah, May 18.
Though Western Design Racing TM's Tuffy Pearson led the early going, his final race before leaving on a church mission ended early with a broken engine. Ramirez took over at that point and led through the first 40-mile loop and continued to break trail out front on the more technical second 30-mile loop. All the while, Caselli sat close behind in second place, studying Ramirez's moves to see how well he was applying the lessons Caselli teaches him during the week. As they headed out on the 42-mile final loop, Caselli decided he'd seen enough, passed his student and went on to collect his fifth consecutive series victory.
Ramirez hung on easily for second place, matching his career best from earlier in the series, and Purvines Racing Beta's Nick Burson claimed third for the third straight round, which chipped away at the gap in points between him and Off-Road Support/Kawasaki of Simi Valley's Jacob Argubright, who is second in points and was fourth on the day.
KTM-mounted Levi Hutchings won the 250cc A class for the second time this season and placed a best-to-date fifth overall; unofficially, that's enough to move him into the class points lead. Open A winner Irving Powers, Open A runner-up Tallon Taylor, Vet A winner Dan Capparelli and Open A's Taran Taylor (no relation to Tallon) and James Rhodes rounded out the top 10 overall.​

Jacob Argubright Wins GXE Reno Extreme Off-Road Race

For the second year in a row Jacob Argubright won the GXE Reno Extreme off-road race in Nevada. Photography by Mark Kariya
Jacob Argubright came away with the overall win at the second running of the GXE Reno Extreme, which also acted as the eighth round of the AMA Racing/FMF/GPR Hare & Hound National Championship, in Reno, Nevada, July 13. It was Argubright’s first win of the year and it put a halt to Kurt Caselli’s six-race win streak in the National Series.
Argubright, on the Off-Road Support/Kawasaki of Simi Valley KX450F, overtook Caselli, on the FMF KTM, for good early in the race and steadily pulled away, taking the checkered flag almost two minutes ahead of the series points leader, Caselli.
Third overall and joining Argubright and Caselli on the podium was Caselli’s teammate Ivan Ramirez.
Beta teammates Justin Morrow and Nick Burson rounded out the top five overall.
RESULTS
OVERALL
1. Jacob Argubright (Kaw)
2. Kurt Caselli (KTM)
3. Ivan Ramirez (KTM)
4. Justin Morrow (Beta)
5. Nick Burson (Beta)
6. Irving Powers (KTM)
7. Levii Hutchings (KTM)
8. Dan Capparelli (Beta)
9. Axel Pearson (Beta)
10. Justin Morgan (Hon)

CASELLI WINS HARE & HOUND TITLE

Panaca, NV – Factory FMF/KTM rider Kurt Caselli wrapped up his third consecutive AMA National Hare & Hound Championship one round early at the ninth round of the series held in the Nevada desert.
This round was unique from the other Hare & Hound races as it was ran as a point-to-point race instead of the typical multi-loop race. This meant that the riders started at one point and raced to the final point at the finish while their pit crew chased them along the way for support.
Caselli took the holeshot off the start and began to stretch his lead. “My bike started up right away and I was able to get a good jump off the start,” stated Caselli. “I rode a smart race, and luckily, made no mistakes. The course was very well marked for this event which allowed me to continue to pull out front.”
Caselli pulled over a one minute lead on the 2nd place ride of David Pearson before he crossed the checkered flag to earn the victory and clench his third consecutive Hare & Hound Championship. Pearson, aboard a KTM, as well as Factory FMF/KTM rider Ivan Ramirez joined Caselli on the podium finishing 2nd and 3rd overall. The three riders made it an all KTM podium sweep.
“It feels really great to clench the championship a round early. It is a great way to end the season. I am happy I was able to get another championship for the FMF/KTM Team before I switch over to rally racing,” stated Caselli.
The champ will not attend the final Hare & Hound event as he will head to a World Rally round for practice and a team photo shoot for his 2014 debut as a Factory rider for the Red Bull KTM Rally Team.

“So many people have helped me along the way in my career and I want to thank each of them for their contribution to my success. I can’t wait for the next step in this journey, remarked Caselli.

I went to that race. It was crazy. The minute the pro line started the sky opened up and it poured all day. My friend was the hare. His name is Jack Johsnon. If you don't know who he is google it. Anyways, they gave him a 5 minute head start and caselli was a minute behind him at mile 8 and he pulled off at mile 10 and caselli was already breathing down his neck.

That is stupid speed. The race was awesome I have some cool go pro footage of the start and finish I will get it uploaded tomorrow.

I went to that race. It was crazy. The minute the pro line started the sky opened up and it poured all day. My friend was the hare. His name is Jack Johsnon. If you don't know who he is google it. Anyways, they gave him a 5 minute head start and caselli was a minute behind him at mile 8 and he pulled off at mile 10 and caselli was already breathing down his neck.

That is stupid speed. The race was awesome I have some cool go pro footage of the start and finish I will get it uploaded tomorrow.
I had the opportunity to meet and talk to Jack in Mexico back in '91 when I was down there racing. I met him through LR. Great guy and gave me some great tips on surviving Baja.

Kurt is a fast kid and I can't believe how fast he is and smooth.